The theme song, and why I won't renew my membership.

Should the club change the song back

• Yes

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Don't care, but I like bacon.

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

While we're reminiscing about old theme songs, who else remembers this classic....

Dare to beat the Bear

No wonder they were tripping over themselves to adopt a reworked version of the Fitzroy song over this pile of trash when they merged.

This sounds like Trey Parker and Matt Stone doing a parody song.

Nobody on here has ever been able to find or produce a copy of this song for some reason.

It kind of sounded like an 80s rock ballad IIRC :tearsofjoy:
it was a genuine banger that one. i've only ever found a poxy version thats had some audio in the background removed

We're the Crows, and we're coming to get YOU

I recall this one "We're here to tell you; We're shining through; We're South Australian; And we're coming to get you (repeat)"

Let's not forget early to mid 90s unofficial anthem "The Future's So Bright .."

1682989670389.png

Of all the reasons to abandon the club this seems a very minor one.

All those heartbreaking finals losses, the shitty raptor, club mismanagement, Tippetgate, wooden spoon .. all good? But the minor song change .. 25 years later?

I want the 'mighty' version back, but the club song is a weird hill to die on, out of all the AFC hills one can die on.

Not saying you’re wrong but… The AFC provide so many hills to die on. Why this one in particular?

You’re lucky there isn’t a statute of limitations on these types of protests.

This is the most delayed reaction I’ve ever seen in my life. You sat on this one for 25 years.

These are all valid responses, let me see if I can respond.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and grumpier and less tolerant of people screwing around with stuff that works fine just for the sake of it.
Maybe it's because the membership drive is trying to call it my club, my history, my song, while shoving a substandard song down my throat.
Maybe it's because the lyric makes no bloody sense. "We're known as the Adelaide Crows"? No. We ARE the Adelaide Crows. Glenelg are the Tigers, but they're known as the Bays. Port are the Power, but they're known as the Swamp Donkeys. If anything, we're known as the Mighty Adelaide Crows. The lyric is insipid, cringe, and pathetic, and honestly makes me feel ashamed every time I hear it.
Maybe because if enough other people feel the way I do it it will start a groundswell movement that will shake the foundations of the club. Maybe, with enough pressure, they'll give us back my song.
But mostly I think it's because it's in my power to do so. There's a lot that's outside of the control of the club. You can only select coaches from the talent available at the time. You can only select players from the talent available at the time. You can't control when a player is injured, when your talent leaves to head back home, or when the team has an off day. You don't know if that guy you picked from the draft will be a club champion or be delisted. But the club has direct control over it's song, they just need the will to make the change. If they don't have the guts to do it I don't see why I should sit back and let it slide.

I'm not saying it's the best hill to die on, but it feels right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and grumpier and less tolerant of people screwing around with stuff that works fine just for the sake of it.
Maybe it's because the membership drive is trying to call it my club, my history, my song, while shoving a substandard song down my throat.
Maybe it's because the lyric makes no bloody sense. "We're known as the Adelaide Crows"? No. We ARE the Adelaide Crows. Glenelg are the Tigers, but they're known as the Bays. Port are the Power, but they're known as the Swamp Donkeys. If anything, we're known as the Mighty Adelaide Crows. The lyric is insipid, cringe, and pathetic, and honestly makes me feel ashamed every time I hear it.
Maybe because if enough other people feel the way I do it it will start a groundswell movement that will shake the foundations of the club. Maybe, with enough pressure, they'll give us back my song.
But mostly I think it's because it's in my power to do so. There's a lot that's outside of the control of the club. You can only select coaches from the talent available at the time. You can only select players from the talent available at the time. You can't control when a player is injured, when your talent leaves to head back home, or when the team has an off day. You don't know if that guy you picked from the draft will be a club champion or be delisted. But the club has direct control over it's song, they just need the will to make the change. If they don't have the guts to do it I don't see why I should sit back and let it slide.

1683031772825.png

I am more upset the "Smallville Crows" have a far better emblem!!!!

You don't want them to change it, because they'll re-record the whole song. And it wont stop at inserting the mighty lyric back in, it will more than likely be completely butchered.

Probably throw in a verse from AI-Kanye in there or whatever's trending on Tik-Tok at the moment.

Nobody on here has ever been able to find or produce a copy of this song for some reason.

It kind of sounded like an 80s rock ballad IIRC :tearsofjoy:
Well Pierre. I’ve searched all day, and all night. I didn’t work. I didn’t eat. Hours of footage. And I must say I’m somewhat embarrassed by my efforts.

21:58 in this video. It goes for 10 seconds, and is barely audible due to the voiceover. But maybe better than nothing. You’ve waited so long.

The vid I saw recently was much better. It’s out there. I will find it…

While I commend you for your principled stand, I can't help but feel that you could have saved yourself a lot of pain and heartache by making it 5 years ago rather than waiting until now when we're finally watchable again :p

Well Pierre. I’ve searched all day, and all night. I didn’t work. I didn’t eat. Hours of footage. And I must say I’m somewhat embarrassed by my efforts.

21:58 in this video. It goes for 10 seconds, and is barely audible due to the voiceover. But maybe better than nothing. You’ve waited so long.

The vid I saw recently was much better. It’s out there. I will find it…

There's a better version that plays in the background of 1991 Something To Crow About, it's when McDermott and McGuiness are discussing the captaincy.

That's about the most I've ever been able to find.

It's around 5 minutes in after the Foster's Cup highlights

i wonder if david burtenshaw has a copy of this floating around his archives?

On the voice over is says that it was written by Mark Rippett/Rupert? and sung by Wayne Pillbridge?

I've tried to Google either of them, but found nothing. Maybe I'm hearing it wrong?

I see this one come up occasionally and to be honest not something I've ever noticed or thought about on game day.

The only reason I can think of for the change would be that in some one's mind they thought it would be better to build up to the mighty Adelaide Crows later or something. Doesn't really work like that but who knows.

I don't mind a traditional footy song after a win so I would be worried that if we do actually change it we'll get something modern and soft like that West Coast Eagles song. We haven't really heard much of it since they launched it due to a lack of wins but it doesn't seem very fun to sing along to or I wouldn't say a song can be intimidating but whatever that is, it hasn't got it. And our version would probably be worse.

One change I would support is somehow shortening the instrumental section, unless it's a big win, it seems everyone around me gets tired or bored trying to clap on beat haha and it just fizzles out a bit as soon as it does.

Last edited:
Back