Review NAB Challenge Game 3 - Carlton vs Sydney @ Etihad Stadium (5:50pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
We take on the blues at Etihad in the final game of our NAB challenge this week. I'd assume we'd want to go well and build some momentum heading into round 1 regardless of what type of team we put out on to the field.

1. ROSE, James
4. HANNEBERY, Dan
5. HEENEY, Isaac
6. MITCHELL, Tom
7. CUNNINGHAM, Harry
8. TIPPETT, Kurt
10. JONES, Zak
11. LAIDLER, Jeremy
12. KENNEDY, Josh
13. NANKERVIS, Toby
14. MILLS, Callum
15. JACK, Kieren
17. HISCOX, Jack
18. SINCLAIR, Callum
22. TOWERS, Dean
23. FRANKLIN, Lance
24. RAMPE, Dane
26. PARKER, Luke
27. ROBINSON, Daniel
28. NEWMAN, Nic
29. HEWETT, George
32. TALIA, Michael
33. JACK, Brandon
39. GRUNDY, Heath
40. SMITH, Nick
41. PAPLEY, Tom
44. LLOYD, Jake

Can will put a line through Aliir? I haven't seen any suggestion he's injured, and he's left out of the teams for all 3 NAB matches in his 3rd (?) year on the list. That's a bit odd.

Why did we extend his contract again?

1. ROSE, James
4. HANNEBERY, Dan
5. HEENEY, Isaac
6. MITCHELL, Tom
7. CUNNINGHAM, Harry
8. TIPPETT, Kurt
10. JONES, Zak
11. LAIDLER, Jeremy
12. KENNEDY, Josh
13. NANKERVIS, Toby
14. MILLS, Callum
15. JACK, Kieren
17. HISCOX, Jack
18. SINCLAIR, Callum
22. TOWERS, Dean
23. FRANKLIN, Lance
24. RAMPE, Dane
26. PARKER, Luke
27. ROBINSON, Daniel
28. NEWMAN, Nic
29. HEWETT, George
32. TALIA, Michael
33. JACK, Brandon
39. GRUNDY, Heath
40. SMITH, Nick
41. PAPLEY, Tom
44. LLOYD, Jake

Can will put a line through Aliir? I haven't seen any suggestion he's injured, and he's left out of the teams for all 3 NAB matches in his 3rd (?) year on the list. That's a bit odd.

Why did we extend his contract again?
I too would like to know why Aliir isn't getting a run, so could someone in the know shed some light please?

Grundy played 80% of game time v Port, 100 %v GWS.
XR played 65% of game time v Port, 23% v GWS
Alliir was cut from the final squad in both games.

Grundy named in squad v Carlton.
XR, Alliir not included.

Quite possible/likely that neither XR/Alliir will make it, but we know what Grundy can do, would have liked to see him rested for at least one game, even with Ted still absent.

I recall NAB 3 game last year when Pyke played 80% of game time (v GWS).
This followed on from ~80% game time in the previous 2 NAB games.
I realise there is a fine line regarding fitness/preparation, but giving older bodies a game off and testing younger players in the NAB Challenge surely shouldn't affect us (or them) greatly.

FWIW
Laidler 78% v Port, 69% v GWS
Talia 65% v Port, 66% v GWS

We'd better not drop this game or we might as well prepare for next season....:rolleyes:
I've already given up on this season. We have Longmire as a coach. He's got such a bad gameplan no team he coaches will ever make finals, let alone win a flag.

Rose and bolter Papley are important to us this year given our lack of depth. Good to see them get a run and hopefully go well.

Newman is another I think we need to put game time into, looks a likely to make the grade.

I'd like to see more of Dawson and Leonardis. Before too long these blokes should be getting a regular game I think. Both have what it takes. with Papley, Rose, Leonardis and Dawson fighting for a spot along with Hewett it will be a bit hot in the selection room this year. Watch out players who have bad games you could find yourself playing in Canberra and it gets rather cold there in the winter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wanna see papley get upgraded

I agree. He is a bright spark. love his work. I think in time with him, Dawson, Rose, Leonardis, Newman, jones, Hewett etc we have the makings of a very good side. But we have to start looking at the future this year because some of our senior players just don't use the ball well enough. Although that might just be boredom at the boring and shitty game plan. I noticed the transition from 2010 and early 2011 where the game plan was eerily similar to now and then changed to a very exciting slingshot type footy how the players got really excited and played like it. Their disposal efficiency increased incredibly.

Wanna see papley get upgraded
Wanna see Papley play more than 25 minutes game time before we start getting excited and putting him in the best 22, kind of like Rose last year. Bright start, but he needs to be able to back it up every week.

Glad he's in the side this week, and keen to see how he goes.

With
Wanna see Papley play more than 25 minutes game time before we start getting excited and putting him in the best 22, kind of like Rose last year. Bright start, but he needs to be able to back it up every week.

Glad he's in the side this week, and keen to see how he goes.
would have papley on the main list tomirrow over the high ball kicking soft bunny BJ

Grundy played 80% of game time v Port, 100 %v GWS.
XR played 65% of game time v Port, 23% v GWS
Alliir was cut from the final squad in both games.

Grundy named in squad v Carlton.
XR, Alliir not included.

Quite possible/likely that neither XR/Alliir will make it, but we know what Grundy can do, would have liked to see him rested for at least one game, even with Ted still absent.

I recall NAB 3 game last year when Pyke played 80% of game time (v GWS).
This followed on from ~80% game time in the previous 2 NAB games.
I realise there is a fine line regarding fitness/preparation, but giving older bodies a game off and testing younger players in the NAB Challenge surely shouldn't affect us (or them) greatly.

FWIW
Laidler 78% v Port, 69% v GWS
Talia 65% v Port, 66% v GWS
Even if they didn't have confidence in AA making it they would give him a run? It makes no sense.

Are you implying that Talia and Laidler are competing for the same spot? I think they can both play.

I haven't seen his games yet but from all reports Papley has shown more in a few weeks than BJ and Cunningham have shown in a few years. I think we need to give him a decent opportunity to prove himself.
Imo is that if XR wasn't Teds brother and Brandons last name wasn't jack they wouldn't be on the list

Even if they didn't have confidence in AA making it they would give him a run? It makes no sense.

Agreed.
As I said I'd like for Grundy to have had a week off and Alliir given a run.
The club saw enough in him to give him a 1 year contract extension, yet not enough to give him a run out in the NAB Challenge.

Are you implying that Talia and Laidler are competing for the same spot? I think they can both play.

No, merely pointing out the amount of game time Grundy had compared to other tall defenders.

Even at this stage I really haven't formed a view about our defensive line up (talls/smalls/runners/mix) for the Collingwood game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back