Roast Name a player that we have actually developed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Over the Scott tenure you could make arguments that we have developed Brown, Tarrant, Goldstein, McDonald, Cunnington and Ziebell. But that is really about where it ends. The latter three should really end up being consistent A-Graders considering where they were taken in the draft but I just can't see it happening.

Every single other player on our list has either gone backwards or has stagnated badly excluding the older heads obviously. Over the past 5-6 years we have failed to develop an incredible number of players who have shown they have solid AFL attributes but for some reason they lack consistency to step their game up to another level. In my opinion these are the players who we have failed to develop:

- Atley
- McMillan
- McKenzie
- Mullett
- Wright
- Black
- Daw
- Hansen
- Harper
- Bastinac
- Greenwood
- Adams
- Speight
- Richardson
- Delaney Brothers
- Urquhart

Some of these guys have had their injury concerns while others didn't had limitations, but in all seriousness when do the questions get asked of our development?

I get so frustrated when I see average players becoming solid footballers at other clubs meanwhile we have guys that don't make the most of their talent, or are we recruiting the wrong types of players?

Are Cunnington and Ziebell better than when they were drafted?

Cunnington played the worst first 20 games in AFL history. So yes, he has improved.

We got Waite, Higgins, NDS, Nahas and such from the last couple of years which has stifled our development.

I share your frustration at the inconsistency of some of our guys when the whips are cracking, but that is a very harsh assessment.

The truth is that the previous era was littered with highly talented youngsters who came to the club and for whatever reason never even got close to their potential. Under Brad Scott we've taken significant steps forward in terms of our player development systems.

Over the Scott tenure you could make arguments that we have developed Brown, Tarrant, Goldstein, McDonald, Cunnington and Ziebell. But that is really about where it ends. The latter three should really end up being consistent A-Graders considering where they were taken in the draft but I just can't see it happening.

Every single other player on our list has either gone backwards or has stagnated badly excluding the older heads obviously. Over the past 5-6 years we have failed to develop an incredible number of players who have shown they have solid AFL attributes but for some reason they lack consistency to step their game up to another level. In my opinion these are the players who we have failed to develop:

- Atley
- McMillan
- McKenzie
- Mullett
- Wright
- Black
- Daw
- Hansen
- Harper
- Bastinac
- Greenwood
- Adams
- Speight
- Richardson
- Delaney Brothers
- Urquhart

Some of these guys have had their injury concerns while others didn't had limitations, but in all seriousness when do the questions get asked of our development?

I get so frustrated when I see average players becoming solid footballers at other clubs meanwhile we have guys that don't make the most of their talent, or are we recruiting the wrong types of players?
Wright, mcmillan, and mabie daw if they actually play him more that one here and there. The rest have gone backwards at a rate of a 1000 knots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And how was Patch not developed? He came off of the Rookie lost and became a very good player.

Patchy, should have been drafted a lot earlier but wasn't due to his height. He captained vic metro and was one of the most consistent TAC footballers in his year.
After 50 games I thought he was going to develop into a 30 goal a year half forward who could rotate through the midfield but ended up being a player who couldn't find the footy consistently enough or kick goals. Concussion ultimately ending his career.

I think some are missing the point of this thread... I define "well developed" as developing a player into a consistently good footballer, not someone that has one or two good seasons and falls away.

The only player sub 26 that we have well developed is Jack Ziebell - who was an elite under 18 talent, and we were lucky that he slid.

BBB and Wood looks to be promising also however there is a lot of water to go under the bridge and as seen with our other young talent, the whees can fall off pretty quickly after some promising signs.

Tarrant is one who has taken a decade and is now producing career best form, however I'll wait and see how he continues in the coming seasons, as we have a trend of payers having a good year and then something just happens and they fall away. Touch wood, hopefully not Taz.

Cunnington had a really good season when he won BNF, pretty obvious from his form since then that he has fallen away. I know he is currently injured, but FFS the bloke is not an elite mid - sure, he does some elite things, but he is by no stretch an elite midfielder.

Atley looked to be our next big thing across half back, bringing a much needed speed to our side however he hasn't improved in 4 years and I refuse to accept that it is just his fault. The club clearly look to push the defensive side of his game, rather then using his weapon.

The only player sub 26 that we have well developed is Jack Ziebell - who was an elite under 18 talent, and we were lucky that he slid.

Cunnington had a really good season when he won BNF, pretty obvious from his form since then that he has fallen away. I know he is currently injured, but FFS the bloke is not an elite mid - sure, he does some elite things, but he is by no stretch an elite midfielder.

Do you think Jack Ziebell is an elite midfielder?

of the OPs list I'd Say Wright and McMillan have been developed under Brad, the ones that really hurt to me are Basti and Black (look at their games in 2013 compared to 2015 the inclusions of Dal and Waite hurt their development, but without Dal and Waite we would not have enjoyed the finals as much as we did over the past two years) and Maj (at least Maj still has a chance)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back