Name some players like Jason Heatley (one season wonders)

Remove this Banner Ad

s**t did he snag 70 at Port? * I forgot. Now that you mention it I do recall Sheedy flirting with form and sening the big man backwards. He played Full Back too I'm 99 percent positive?

In 97 I know he had a big of 8. May have been against Collingwood I can't recall. I do remember they beat you guys at Footy Park and then smashed ya's by 8 goals on a Friday Night at The G. I reckon he and Wanganeen bagged 4 a piece.

Scotty was a gun. Good bloke too and I wish him well. He's had it tough, but he's a true legend. A great, big heart!

Wins the One Hit Wonder - Twice award. Once for Port and once for Eagles. He missed so many games and struggled to ever be fit.

Could have been almost anything.

Purely from a goalscoring perspective, Lewis Jetta? 45 goals in a breakout season during our premiership year, then never got above 14 after that.
2010 kicked about 15 points before his first goal, if he even got his first goal. I remember him doing some good things in that EF vs Carlton. That was a really good game actually.

Wayne Hernaman, recruited from WAFL club South Fremantle by Richmond, certainly justified his high rating of 7 in the 1992 National Draft by delivering the Tigers a stellar 1993 debut season, the young recruit often playing well in teams badly beaten in a dismal season for Richmond. He seemed a star in the making who would play many fine games for the Tigers in coming years and would be central to the team's efforts to climb the ladder.

However, the 1994 season brought just 3 games for Hernaman, all late in the season (injuries?) and he was delisted at year's end. What makes it all the stranger is that no other AFL club took a punt at drafting him, not even the Fremantle Dockers for their debut 1995 team or the struggling Fitzroy. IIRC there was no career ending injury. He did not return to South Fremantle or another WAFL team, move across the border to the SANFL, remain in Melbourne to play with a VFL team, or try his hand in any of the top leagues in Tasmania, NSW, ACT, Queensland or the Northern Territory. It's like he vanished from the face of the planet.
I remember him. May have snagged 6 against The Hawks in that 93 game. Some strange one's from Western Australia.

Warren Cambell for North. Did kinda ok at stages. Got a bag of 4 in a losing side against Richmond.
Jason Dunstan. Kicked the winner in Round 1 in 1993 on debut for Fitzroy. Another South Freo product.
Derek Hall was another one that got away for The Eagles and di well at Geelong.
Brett Spinks from South again. Never cut it for The Eagles.
Stephen Jurica - Holy s**t 1995 for The Tigers. 5 in a Friday night game vs Bombers, the drawn I think. Became a coffee Barrister? Or a legal one?

Just checked and he didn't get 6 against The Hawks that was Maxfield. Hernamen played 17 games for 7 goals. I thought there was a bag in there somewhere.

Actually Aaron Edwards did ok at North after leaving The Eagles. I'm not sure if he was originally from Victoria? He did ok as did Beau Wilkes. I forgot his first name. Or was it Beau Maister that he changed it too?

I forget.

Last edited:

Not one season but Danny Del Re was a good goal sneak. I think he had a good or decent 93 season but a famous one in 1992.

The Doggies would fall victim of the Prelim once again.

I remember him. May have snagged 6 against The Hawks in that 93 game. Some strange one's from Western Australia.

Warren Cambell for North. Did kinda ok at stages. Got a bag of 4 in a losing side against Richmond.
Jason Dunstan. Kicked the winner in Round 1 in 1993 on debut for Fitzroy. Another South Freo product.
Derek Hall was another one that got away for The Eagles and di well at Geelong.
Brett Spinks from South again. Never cut it for The Eagles.
Stephen Jurica - Holy s**t 1995 for The Tigers. 5 in a Friday night game vs Bombers, the drawn I think. Became a coffee Barrister? Or a legal one?

Just checked and he didn't get 6 against The Hawks that was Maxfield. Hernamen played 17 games for 7 goals. I thought there was a bag in there somewhere.

Actually Aaron Edwards did ok at North after leaving The Eagles. I'm not sure if he was originally from Victoria? He did ok as did Beau Wilkes. I forgot his first name. Or was it Beau Maister that he changed it too?

I forget.

John Hutton from Claremont was another one. He was selected at No 1 by the Brisbane Bears in the 1991 national draft after topping the WAFL goal-kicking in the Tigers' 1991 premiership season, and although a bit older than most draftees had a great debut season for the Bears in 1992 with 48 goals. This included two bags of 8 goals - one in a demolition of Sydney, the other in a 164-point loss to Geelong - plus many other fine games, despite the Bears finishing second last with plenty of heavy defeats.

Everything seemed fine for Hutton's career at Brisbane at the end of 1992 and the 1993 pre-season, and he was part of the Bears' team that took on the Bombers in the opening round of the night premiership. Along with fellow West Australian Mark Zanotti, Hutton no doubt pondered WTF the Bears were doing playing Essendon in Geelong in a night series game in daylight in conditions similar to Darwin's wet season, hoped to enter the Bears opening match against North Melbourne in Round 1 with good fitness and looked forward to a trip home to Perth in Round 5 to meet the West Coast Eagles.

But none of this would happen, because before the start of the season Brisbane inexplicably delisted both Hutton and Zanotti, who were quickly drafted by Sydney and Fitzroy respectively. They would ironically play in the same game in Round 5, but it was in opposing sides at Princes Park in Melbourne and a 93-point demolition of the struggling Swans by the Lions, not West Coast vs. Brisbane at Subiaco Oval. The week after Hutton was back at Princes Park for the Swans game against North Melbourne, and similar to the Geelong game a year earlier he was among Sydney's best in a 35.19-229 to 16.9-105 thrashing by the Kangaroos. A few weeks later the Brisbane Bears would destroy the Sydney Swans by 162-points at the GABBA, but Hutton was not in the team that day.

Hutton had only limited chances at the bottom-placed Sydney Swans with 5 games and was delisted at season's end. After a year with Palm Beach in the QAFL in 1994, Hutton returned to Perth when drafted by the new team the Fremantle Dockers. He played some reasonable football for the Dockers in their 1995 debut but like with his tenures at the Bears and Swans Hutton lasted just one season at Fremantle, and he retired from all levels of football thereafter.

John Hutton from Claremont was another one. He was selected at No 1 by the Brisbane Bears in the 1991 national draft after topping the WAFL goal-kicking in the Tigers' 1991 premiership season, and although a bit older than most draftees had a great debut season for the Bears in 1992 with 48 goals. This included two bags of 8 goals - one in a demolition of Sydney, the other in a 164-point loss to Geelong - plus many other fine games, despite the Bears finishing second last with plenty of heavy defeats.

Everything seemed fine for Hutton's career at Brisbane at the end of 1992 and the 1993 pre-season, and he was part of the Bears' team that took on the Bombers in the opening round of the night premiership. Along with fellow West Australian Mark Zanotti, Hutton no doubt pondered WTF the Bears were doing playing Essendon in Geelong in a night series game in daylight in conditions similar to Darwin's wet season, hoped to enter the Bears opening match against North Melbourne in Round 1 with good fitness and looked forward to a trip home to Perth in Round 5 to meet the West Coast Eagles.

But none of this would happen, because before the start of the season Brisbane inexplicably delisted both Hutton and Zanotti, who were quickly drafted by Sydney and Fitzroy respectively. They would ironically play in the same game in Round 5, but it was in opposing sides at Princes Park in Melbourne and a 93-point demolition of the struggling Swans by the Lions, not West Coast vs. Brisbane at Subiaco Oval. The week after Hutton was back at Princes Park for the Swans game against North Melbourne, and similar to the Geelong game a year earlier he was among Sydney's best in a 35.19-229 to 16.9-105 thrashing by the Kangaroos. A few weeks later the Brisbane Bears would destroy the Sydney Swans by 162-points at the GABBA, but Hutton was not in the team that day.

Hutton had only limited chances at the bottom-placed Sydney Swans with 5 games and was delisted at season's end. After a year with Palm Beach in the QAFL in 1994, Hutton returned to Perth when drafted by the new team the Fremantle Dockers. He played some reasonable football for the Dockers in their 1995 debut but like with his tenures at the Bears and Swans Hutton lasted just one season at Fremantle, and he retired from all levels of football thereafter.
Of course!!! The helmet!!!!! He was good. Man I forgot he went to Sydney and I completely remember that demolition by Brisbane. Maybe Darryl White kicked 8 that day. Not sure if Dion Scott booted 6 or if that was a 95 game. I remember those bags of 8 and he got some for Freo too, probably against Sydney of all teams. He was a good player. Man Craig Nettlebeck played for everyone, yet hardly played if at all. Sydney, Melbourne, Freo, maybe West Coast?

I remember Zanotti. I remember John Gastev too another one from Brisbane.

He’s probably been mentioned but surely Adrian McAdam is just about the GOAT of one season wonders.

First game 7 goals, second game 10 goals, third game 6 goals, kicked 68 in 17 games for the season (4 per game).

Dropped right off the next year, kicked 23 goals.

Played 1 game the following year.

Traded to Collingwood, delisted without playing a game, career over.

I’ve seen this said quite a few times on Bigfooty and I’m certain it’s a myth.

Gary junior is arguably the best footballer of the past two decades, renowned for his ridiculous skill level in a number of areas.

My recollection of Nathan is he was a talented but not precocious footballer who had the benefit of being the 3rd or 4th best forward in a really strong Geelong team.

His valuation as a footballer seems to strangely go up the longer time passes.
From his first full season (2007) he displayed that kind of potential ceiling you had flashes of from Gary Junior 2003-2006. Whether he would've ever been motivated enough to flick that switch and become a superstar who knows.

But talent wise he had the tools to have a career a level above Hawkins, which would make him an excellent player.

He’s probably been mentioned but surely Adrian McAdam is just about the GOAT of one season wonders.

First game 7 goals, second game 10 goals, third game 6 goals, kicked 68 in 17 games for the season (4 per game).

Dropped right off the next year, kicked 23 goals.

Played 1 game the following year.

Traded to Collingwood, delisted without playing a game, career over.
Got to be the greatest one season wonder ever.

He kicked 10.6 against Sydney, Longmire kicked 9 and North 35.19 for the game lol

11 goals in the first quarter then 10 each in the 3rd and 4th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From his first full season (2007) he displayed that kind of potential ceiling you had flashes of from Gary Junior 2003-2006. Whether he would've ever been motivated enough to flick that switch and become a superstar who knows.

But talent wise he had the tools to have a career a level above Hawkins, which would make him an excellent player.

A few ex Geelong players all say he honestly could’ve been one of footballs greats if he liked Football let alone had the motivation to work towards anywhere near his full potential.

Christian Salem 2021

A few ex Geelong players all say he honestly could’ve been one of footballs greats if he liked Football let alone had the motivation to work towards anywhere near his full potential.

They are correct.
In terms of tall players (194cm+), the only other footballer who displayed a similar skill-set was Wayne Carey. Nathan Ablett was a better kick on his non preferred foot. Had exceptional balance for someone who had not yet filled out in the weight room. Was only beginning to work out his strengths & weaknesses by the end of 2007.

Dan Menzel, Matthew Egan and Nathan Ablett . . . . three what ifs of the Geelong football club.

They are correct.
In terms of tall players (194cm+), the only other footballer who displayed a similar skill-set was Wayne Carey. Nathan Ablett was a better kick on his non preferred foot. Had exceptional balance for someone who had not yet filled out in the weight room. Was only beginning to work out his strengths & weaknesses by the end of 2007.

Dan Menzel, Matthew Egan and Nathan Ablett . . . . three what ifs of the Geelong football club.
Not saying he had more potential than GAJ, but the feeling looking in from Ioutside was "great, another one, and this one's a KPP".

He wasn't a "wonder" by any means but for players other supporters probably don't remember, Ryan Gamble for Geelong in 2008 could be one. A young prospect who just fizzled out.

In 2008 as a youngster Gamble had an injury interrupted his season but from 13 games he had 3+ goals/assists on 5 occassions and was going at around 2.5 goals/assists a game. Extrapolated to a full season and finals that would've amounted to 42 goals and 22 goal assists as a 20 year old. Surely some good things ahead?

But he would only go on to have another 10 pedestrian games with the Cats and 11 with the Saints (21 more goals total in those 3 seasons) before being delisted.

Another was Brett Spinks. Came to Geelong after a few uneventful seasons at West Coast, scores 35 goals in 1998 (17 in his first 4 games as a Cat!) but injuries and lack of form meant he never played another game.

Last edited:
Ben McKinley 2008. 42 goals and our leading goal kicker as a 19 year old. Also our most hopeful young gun.

Gone by 2010 and delisted by North one year later
I am glad you brought this bloke up.

Was a solid 185 cm medium sized forward too.

I thought him, small forward mark LeCras, big Q Lynch and Josh Kennedy up forward was gonna be a solid combo up forward for the next few years after 2008.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back