List Mgmt. National Draft 2020 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie Ford looks like a traditional CHF, unfortunately he's undersized by todays' standards unless he can grow an inch or two.
Pretty keen for us to pick Eddie Ford. Looks like it fit in nicely at Richmond.

Could make a good mid too. Never really got a chance as a mid playing bottom age.

Eddie Ford looks like a traditional CHF, unfortunately he's undersized by todays' standards unless he can grow an inch or two.
I think he’s a wonderful looking prospect. However he actually reminds me a lot of Ben Lennon. Can take a good mark for his size, covers the ground well and has some X-Factor. Ford appears to lack that next gear which allows him to make an impact in the midfield, that may be a little toughen him as he played last season as a bottom-ager and things could have changed this year but his ability to go onto the ball still has question marks.

I’m not saying Eddie Ford is going to have the same career that Ben Lennon did, I honestly feel a lot of the worries around Lennon were off the field but in terms of size, strengths and weaknesses Ford really reminds me of Lennon.

I think he’s a wonderful looking prospect. However he actually reminds me a lot of Ben Lennon. Can take a good mark for his size, covers the ground well and has some X-Factor. Ford appears to lack that next gear which allows him to make an impact in the midfield, that may be a little toughen him as he played last season as a bottom-ager and things could have changed this year but his ability to go onto the ball still has question marks.

I’m not saying Eddie Ford is going to have the same career that Ben Lennon did, I honestly feel a lot of the worries around Lennon were off the field but in terms of size, strengths and weaknesses Ford really reminds me of Lennon.
Ford has elite speed - Lennon didnt
Ford has great leap and agility - Lennon didnt

Ford has elite speed - Lennon didnt
Ford has great leap and agility - Lennon didnt
Ford certainly appears to have a far superior leap and agility than Lennon, I’ll certainly give you that. I’m sure Ford would be quicker than Lennon over twenty meters but I don’t think Ford is renowned for having “elite speed” mate?

Ford certainly appears to have a far superior leap and agility than Lennon, I’ll certainly give you that. I’m sure Ford would be quicker than Lennon over twenty meters but I don’t think Ford is renowned for having “elite speed” mate?
Pretty sure he is under 3 seconds for 20mtr

Lennon was a good footballer but didnt have the required speed,agility & leap to play as a med foward in todays game and had no midfield game
not saying Ford will 100% make it but i would be extremely confident he plays more AFL games and kicks more goals than Lennon

Pretty sure he is under 3 seconds for 20mtr

Lennon was a good footballer but didnt have the required speed,agility & leap to play as a med foward in todays game and had no midfield game
not saying Ford will 100% make it but i would be extremely confident he plays more AFL games and kicks more goals than Lennon
I wasn’t able to find his 20m sprint time but he wasn’t listed in the top ten time from the Victorian participants. The tenth best time from a Victorian was 2.92 with a reported tail wind. He didn’t finish within that time. I really cannot comment on him a whole lot as I’m going off highlight videos from over twelve months ago and reports I’ve read online so I could be quite off with my perception.

I’d be really open to the potential of signing him though, he appears to really offer something quite different from what we currently have on our books.

Our inside depth had been quite a concern after our 2018 season and preliminary final loss. Since then we’ve drafted RCD, Ross, Dow & Martyn who are all good in traffic and playing on the ball. I don’t think we need another inside midfielders but think either a tall/third tall or outside runner could be very beneficial to the team and our list moving forward.

I wasn’t able to find his 20m sprint time but he wasn’t listed in the top ten time from the Victorian participants. The tenth best time from a Victorian was 2.92 with a reported tail wind. He didn’t finish within that time. I really cannot comment on him a whole lot as I’m going off highlight videos from over twelve months ago and reports I’ve read online so I could be quite off with my perception.

I’d be really open to the potential of signing him though, he appears to really offer something quite different from what we currently have on our books.

Our inside depth had been quite a concern after our 2018 season and preliminary final loss. Since then we’ve drafted RCD, Ross, Dow & Martyn who are all good in traffic and playing on the ball. I don’t think we need another inside midfielders but think either a tall/third tall or outside runner could be very beneficial to the team and our list moving forward.

#29 Eddie Ford
Western Jets/Vic Metro | Medium Forward/Midfielder
21/06/2002 | 189cm | 83kg

If you’re after one of the best Under 18s highlight packages among this year’s crop, then look no further than Western’s Ford. The Jets’ leading prospect is capable of taking high marks, booting long goals, and bursting forward to break the lines with his explosive athleticism and speed. Having cut his teeth as a medium forward, the 189cm Victorian has recently requested tape of Fremantle skipper Nat Fyfe as he looks to sharpen his midfield craft. He certainly has the size and athletic profile to make the transition, and would have done so with some time on the park as a top-ager. You may remember his Under 17 Futures All-Stars performance from last year, which is what he can produce at his best. Consistency will be key.

October Ranking: #28

Last Month: Ford has grown a few centimetres since preseason and seems to be filling out nicely, coming in at 189cm and 83kg at the Vic Metro Draft Combine. The leading Western Jets product also showed off his athleticism at the event, notching a 94cm running vertical jump and 20-metre time of 2.95 seconds. We know how that translates to his form up forward, but it remains to be seen whether he can consistently provide the same excitement through midfield.

Cal Twomey reckons he may not be around @ pies first pick of 14. Could possibly pry GWS' first pick off them given they've got 2 more shortly after?

Liam McBean mk2? :oops:

Providing he's got some mongrel he'll be right once he fills out. I read somewhere that he can take a contested mark and hit packs. Sounds a bit like Blicavz who can play just about anywhere.
Lol, this kid makes Liam McBean look like...Liam McBean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#29 Eddie Ford

If you’re after one of the best Under 18s highlight packages among this year’s crop, then look no further than Western’s Ford. The Jets’ leading prospect is capable of taking high marks, booting long goals, and bursting forward to break the lines with his explosive athleticism and speed. Having cut his teeth as a medium forward, the 189cm Victorian has recently requested tape of Fremantle skipper Nat Fyfe as he looks to sharpen his midfield craft. He certainly has the size and athletic profile to make the transition, and would have done so with some time on the park as a top-ager. You may remember his Under 17 Futures All-Stars performance from last year, which is what he can produce at his best. Consistency will be key.

Last Month: Ford has grown a few centimetres since preseason and seems to be filling out nicely, coming in at 189cm and 83kg at the Vic Metro Draft Combine. The leading Western Jets product also showed off his athleticism at the event, notching a 94cm running vertical jump and 20-metre time of 2.95 seconds. We know how that translates to his form up forward, but it remains to be seen whether he can consistently provide the same excitement through midfield.

Almost sounds like a Dangerfield type, burst player with a good leap and grab, kind of a hybrid mixed forward. Id be interested.

Don't agree unless they are quick like Moore from Collingwood, Harris Andrews, Hipwood, even Daniher was mobile. Buddy obviously.
Lynch is reasonably mobile but not like the above, but CDJ is a ruck mainly. Can see him down there as a second ruck resting, but not as a designated 2nd forward. No pressure which is a really important part of the game these days.

I watched a bit of the vfl gf again and cCJ got a fair few shots on goal early.

He certainly isn't buddy or even Chol but I reckon should be a viable option. Even if he is quite lumbering for an afl kpp.

Kicking for goal was shyte but he may have worked on that and hopefully agility

For every Lennon there's a Jack Steele. Similar body size. Nothing wrong with his pace and agility going by those highlights. If they were underage highlights, that is very impressive. Hits hard, tackles and attacks the ball really well. Again for an underage kid wow. Lack of pace and heart are AFL killers, as it killed Lennon, but that doesn't look a problem for Ford

Be happy if we end up with this kid but apparently is rocketing up a lot of good judges draft predictions

We’ll probably go a kid that’s not on too many radars and fits our attacking game style

One I particularly like is Zavier Maher from the BushRangers, powerful midfielder, great size and pace, and has spent time training with us

Last edited:
There’s looking like their might be a few good’uns around our pick, makes me contemplate whether it would be a good idea to trade back for say Adelaide’s 22 & 23 or maybe try and get pick 18 off the Dees 🤔 Starting to get excited to see what we do. Also seeing who our next guns are (well we know one already MRJR 😁)😉

There’s looking like their might be a few good’uns around our pick, makes me contemplate whether it would be a good idea to trade back for say Adelaide’s 22 & 23 or maybe try and get pick 18 off the Dees 🤔 Starting to get excited to see what we do. Also seeing who our next guns are (well we know one already MRJR 😁)😉

I just hope they don't all cry like the NBA draft

Does anyone know if there’s any top 20/25 draftee lists that have all the NGA’s/Academy/Father-Sons removed? A list like that would be might helpful 😂. Saves me having to go through the normal lists mentally removing them only to find out our pick is the 24/25 best player and not really knowing who’s ranked in the next couple (26th,27th players ect.)

Does anyone know if there’s any top 20/25 draftee lists that have all the NGA’s/Academy/Father-Sons removed? A list like that would be might helpful 😂. Saves me having to go through the normal lists mentally removing them only to find out our pick is the 24/25 best player and not really knowing who’s ranked in the next couple (26th,27th players ect.)
This is my own rough version taking the draft-watchers ratings into account:

1. Elijah Hollands (188cm, 81kg from Vic Country)
2. Logan McDonald (196cm, 85kg from WA)
3. Riley Thilthorpe (201cm, 102kg from SA)
4. Denver Grainger-Barras (195cm, 78kg from WA)
5. Will Phillips (179cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)
6. Tanner Bruhn (182cm, 75kg from Vic Country)
7. Oliver Henry (187cm, 77kg from Vic Country)
8. Nathan O'Driscoll (187cm, 76kg from WA)
9. Archie Perkins (186cm, 77kg from Vic Metro)
10. Heath Chapman (193cm, 81kg from WA)
11. Nikolas Cox (199cm, 82kg from Vic Metro)
12. Jack Carroll (188cm, 79kg from WA)
13. Zach Reid (202cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
14. Eddie Ford (188cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
15. Tom Powell (180cm, 70kg from SA)
16. Finlay Macrae (184cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
17. Brayden Cook (188cm, 74kg from SA)
18. Zane Trew (187cm, 78kg from WA)
19. Caleb Poulter (191cm, 74kg from SA)
20. Jackson Callow (194cm, 89kg from Tasmania)
21. Kaine Baldwin (194cm, 93kg from SA)
22. Sam Berry (180cm, 81kg from Vic Country)
23. Bailey Laurie (178cm, 76kg from Vic Metro)
24. Zavier Maher (184cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
25. Zac Dumesny (188cm, 80kg from SA)
26. Oliver Davis
27. Jack Ginnivan
28. Isiah Winder (179cm, 79kg from WA)
29. Patrick Walker (185cm, 77kg from Tasmania)

Herald Sun did a mock draft and this was the result:
83DD934B-1FE1-431C-A34E-611272942934.png

We get a kid i have a vague memory of (ie I think I’ve heard/read his name before lol). Those Adelaide picks looking mighty nice 🤔

#27 Bailey Laurie
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro | Forward/Midfielder
24/03/2002 | 179cm | 78kg

Another member of Oakleigh’s talent-rich 2019 premiership side, Laurie also features highly in our estimations. The small forward/midfielder is a livewire, and can take games away from the opposition quickly as a high-impact player. His forward running and wonderful agility make for some highlight-reel snippets, consisting of line-breaking bursts and baulks which make his opponents look silly. The Caulfield Grammar student is a great character and a teammate who others love to play alongside, adding a different element to his on-field prowess.

October Ranking: #27

Last Month: Laurie holds his spot at #27 and is a player who could well have lit up the field in 2020. Ultimately, we were unable to see what he could do after a promising 2019 NAB League finals series, but the Victorian showed his wares at the Vic Metro Draft Combine with improved results in the 20-metre sprint (3.06 seconds) and 2km time trial (6:24).

2843E285-B828-4A22-8D5D-BFC778A7010D.gif A SMALL FORWARD :drunk: WITH MRJR COMING IN 😂

#19 Caleb Poulter
WWT Eagles/South Australia | Midfielder/Forward
12/10/2002 | 192cm | 79kg

One of this year’s brightest bolters, Poulter has rocketed up draft boards after an eye-catching start to his top-age season. The big-bodied midfielder brings a serious presence through midfield, able to win plenty of the ball himself while also hunting the opposition with tackling pressure. Add to his midfield craft the ability to take big marks overhead, hit the scoreboard with his penetrating left boot, and utilise his terrific athletic base, and you have a prospect who can wreak absolute havoc at his best. With some senior football also under his belt in 2020, Poulter has stood up and been noticed quickly. It has been a steep rise since his Under 16 carnival in South Australian colours last year.

October Ranking: #19

Last Month: It was a tough call not to push Poulter even higher up the board after his outstanding display in the SA Under 18 All-Stars clash. Fresh off averaging 21 touches in the Eagles’ SANFL Under 18 finals series, the tall midfielder was so classy in midfield with wonderfully clean hands and disposal. Going back a bit further, he also performed well in each test at his state’s Draft Combine and is surely knocking on the door of first round status.

#29 Eddie Ford

#15 Kaine Baldwin
Glenelg/South Australia | Key Position Forward
30/05/2002 | 193cm | 90kg

The news of Baldwin’s second ACL tear in as many years – albeit partial this time – was shattering. It meant the promising 193cm forward missed out on yet another season of football after earning All Australian honours at Under 16s level in 2018, and a crack at the SANFL Reserves grade as a bottom-ager. In our eyes, he remains a first round prospect on talent alone, and looked poised to really crack on in 2020 after his initial recovery. He was a handy preseason testing performer, with good returns in the vertical jumps and yo-yo test conveying Baldwin’s ability to crash packs and clunk big contested marks, while also harnessing that aerial dominance in his work up the ground.

October Ranking: #15

Last Month: Baldwin has been inactive all year after partially tearing his ACL on the eve of the 2020 season, but was sighted helping out at the SA Draft Combine despite not participating. He keeps his spot at #15, though that will likely be far from indicative of his final draft range given the severe injury concerns.

Laurie goes ok looking at his highlights
Nice agility and goal sense. Good vision with his field kicking.

Another small forward would be a classic troll to all the posters on here hoping for a big body mid or tall forward :D

Most clubs won't be able to afford it after covid and as soon as a Vic team got the best player the AFL has to change the rules now which they are.

I think they should keep academy rule going, but matching the pick would mean potentially giving up future first which would give some clubs food for thought.

The academy allows clubs to put money into community football which = better programs for kids, which is better for communities that need that investment into their young people. Also, it keeps kids playing AFL and not other codes as a realistic career choice.

But people want to cry when Bulldogs get a great player cause they chose to invest money into this system.
Aghh that kid was a prodigy little to with wb, academies have become a crock for mine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back