List Mgmt. National Draft 2020 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t really get it we only have pick 17 below 30, they have 18,19 and 26 and have already traded out of the first round next year. So I assume they want our 17 so would the deal be say 17 for 26 + ? (19?, their next pick is 50 and I’m pretty sure they can’t trade any picks next year) or 17 for 19 + 26 ?(unlikely) or 17 + 36 for 19+ 26? Think I’d rather try and get the Crows 22+23 for 17 (might need to include something else).

EDIT: I can’t see us getting next years first round with it, no clubs want to trade out except the Pies and nearly every team will be trying to get that pick.

Last edited:
I don’t really get it we only have pick 17 below 30, they have 18,19 and 26 and have already traded out of the first round next year. So I assume they want our 17 so would the deal be say 17 for 26 + ? (19?, their next pick is 50 and I’m pretty sure they can’t trade any picks next year) or 17 for 19 + 26 ?(unlikely) or 17 + 36 for 19+ 26? Think I’d rather try and get the Crows 22+23 for 17 (might need to include something else).

I think we should see if we can trade our first for a 2021 first from a club likely to finish outside the finals. Chance at a top pick next year.

With all the talk about next year's draft, we should then be able to trade one of our future 2nd rounders for a pick around the late 20s or so if that's where we think some half decent talls may be.

Maybe not. RFC's strategies need to be discussed ad infinitum every year, win, lose or draw. F/son considerations; COVID reductions; 2020 vs 2021 etc. JR backup now? or best available?

Yeah but the draft thread used to be HUuuge with mock drafts and plenty of highlights and leaked rumours. Now everyone’s a bit meh, “let’s just wait and see”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we should see if we can trade our first for a 2021 first from a club likely to finish outside the finals. Chance at a top pick next year.

With all the talk about next year's draft, we should then be able to trade one of our future 2nd rounders for a pick around the late 20s or so if that's where we think some half decent talls may be.

Problem is no club that has a future first want to trade out of it, especially those that are a chance to finish outside the top 8. Collingwood are probably the only club willing too but they want points for Daicos, if we want that pick it will at the very least cost us both of our second rounders next year (maybe even our pick 36 this year to cover points for their NGA) because our offer would need to be better than every other club that wants to trade for that pick imo.

EDIT: I can’t see us getting next years first round with it, no clubs want to trade out except the Pies and nearly every team will be trying to get that pick.
Agreed will be extremely difficult to get a 2021 R1. Pies the only suitor and Melbourne and possibly others will trump us.

I'd say we are more likely to capitalise on another clubs desperation / temptation.

Wait for the sliders to make their way to pick #17 - which WILL happen, clubs know our pick is available, then we ask for a future 1st.

We go into 2021 with:

2 x first rounders
2 x second rounders
2 x third rounders

Operation Clayton Oliver or Tom Green becomes very achievable.
Seriously??? Clayton Oliver???? Huge pass, one of the worst skilled mids there is. We’ve got better potentialled mids on our list already imo. Ross for one

It’s worth noting that Ethan Baxter who’s a potential academy selection for us has nominated for the draft, there was rumours a few weeks back saying he’s given up on footy to concentrate on playing cricket but that’s obviously not been the case.

I’d imagine we’d take him as a category b rookie, at best but he could make his way here.

I'd say we are more likely to capitalise on another clubs desperation / temptation.

Wait for the sliders to make their way to pick #17 - which WILL happen, clubs know our pick is available, then we ask for a future 1st.

We go into 2021 with:

2 x first rounders
2 x second rounders
2 x third rounders

Operation Clayton Oliver or Tom Green becomes very achievable.
Yes to the strategy. No to Clayton Oliver. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Tom Green on the other hand...welcome home son.

AFL draft 2020: Richmond could get Maurice Rioli Jr for a late draft pick

Private testing has Richmond very excited about father-son prospect Maurice Rioli Jr. But there is still one big unknown about the father-son gun.

Jon Ralph, Glenn McFarlane, Dan Batten and Tim Michell
December 4, 2020 - 6:39PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Richmond will dare to believe it can use a late draft pick on father-son selection Maurice Rioli Jr, who is flying into Melbourne this weekend.

The Tigers will welcome back their first-to-fourth year players on Monday, with Rioli set to join them as early as Thursday.

It comes as the AFL confirmed to the Herald Sun that banned Tigers Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones can play VFL and pre-season games until their suspensions for COVID breaches expire after Round 4.

Rioli has been living on the Tiwi Islands after being forced to return home from a Melbourne boarding school because of the COVID-19 crisis then surviving a bizarre plover attack as he recorded physical testing in front of AFL officials.

The son of 1982 Norm Smith medallist Maurice Rioli has been under the watchful eyes of Richmond all year.

Following his aborted 400m time-trial, the Tigers have done their own testing which shows his speed is up there with anyone at the club.

1607105523451.png

He played only a handful of Northern Territory games this year but his talent has shone out.

What is not known is how highly rivals judge his talent in a draft in which a limited number of players have exposed 2020 form.

Talent watchers do not believe he will be taken off the board early in the draft, which could allow the Tigers to take multiple selections before they match a bid for the freakish Indigenous talent.

Richmond has selections 17, 36, 61, 79 and 97 and despite Rioli being linked to Fremantle given his father’s WAFL days, he has chosen the Tigers as his preferred club.

Like his relatives Cyril Rioli and soon-to-be Richmond teammate Daniel Rioli, he boarded at Scotch College.

He is a good mate of fellow Scotch boarder and likely No.1 overall selection Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

1607105600885.png

As the Tigers’ kickstart their quest for a premiership three-peat, their welfare team will ensure Stack is supported with AFL football still almost five months away.

Stack is in reasonable physical shape but after being booted from Queensland, and missing a possible AFL premiership, he also lost his grandfather soon after returning to WA.

Richmond will surround him with significant support to ensure he remains disciplined and can maximise his AFL career.

The lure of pre-season football is seen as critical for Stack given he will only be allowed to return to elite football in late April after he and Coleman-Jones left a Gold Coast strip club and were involved in a fight outside a kebab shop in September.

But with intra-club games set to start in February for clubs before the pre-season series, that carrot of competitive football will be a strong part of his return.

Problem is no club that has a future first want to trade out of it, especially those that are a chance to finish outside the top 8. Collingwood are probably the only club willing too but they want points for Daicos, if we want that pick it will at the very least cost us both of our second rounders next year (maybe even our pick 36 this year to cover points for their NGA) because our offer would need to be better than every other club that wants to trade for that pick imo.
Could happen on draft night if a slider was available at our first pick. A club like Geelong might try offer a future 1st for our first round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggestions that we will be trading down could be because we are keen on players that expected to be available in the 2nd round. One Phantom Draft has linked to Lachlan Carrigan

1607114765661.png

This is from an article in the HUN

Sandringham Dragons leftie Lachie Carrigan invited to AFL’s draft combine
The 17-year-old has shot up in height in the past two years — and with his left-foot kicking and elite running ability he’s also risen in the rankings of AFL recruiters.

It was going to be his year. He was going to put everything into it.

Ahead of the 2020 NAB League Boys season, Lachie Carrigan set out a few goals that he was determined to achieve.

He wanted to start well with Sandringham Dragons and force his way into the Vic Metro squad for the Under 18 national championships.

He wanted to consistently be in the best players, not just stay in the team.

And he wanted to gain an invitation to the draft combine.

Carrigan, 17, never got to play a match for the Dragons because of COVID-19.

But he did get his invitation to the combine, along with seven other Sandy Dragons teammates. He was “stoked’’ when he received the news last week.

Carrigan was in bed when he got an email from AFL talent official Kevin Sheehan alerting him to his selection.

“I slept pretty well after that,’’ he said.

But the draft hopeful with pace and a piercing left-foot did his share of tossing and turning this year as he watched the pandemic delay and then dash the season.

“Yeah, it was frustrating for everyone,’’ Carrigan said.

“We all wanted to play but couldn’t get to the games to prove ourselves. We’d done the work. I was the fittest I’d ever been, felt really good. Then it was all waiting.

“We didn’t know how long we’d be in lockdown for. I had a bit of optimism, I guess, that we’d have the chance to play but there wasn’t much news on games. Once we heard a possible starting date, August 22, it started to get real again and we were getting ready to go. Then it was all called off. Turned out to be a pretty long year.’’

In between his Year 12 studies Carrigan kept himself busy with weights and running (three sessions a week for both) and ball work, usually with teammate Jake Bowey, at Boss James Reserve in Hampton.

Boss James is home to amateur club Hampton Rovers, where as a 16-year-old Carrigan featured in the Under 19 premiership team last year (he turned 17 in December).

He also figured in the St Bede’s College Herald Sun Shield flag, the first in the school’s history.

As a junior at Hampton Rovers and then East Sandringham, Carrigan played in strong teams but he was on the small side and always overlooked for interleague sides.

Early in 2018 he was 168cm. But he was starting to get noticed for his left foot and his running ability.

He’s shot up to 190cm and 76kg, and last year he pushed up for five games with the Dragons while the youngest player on their list.

“His kicking skills and some of the stuff he did was pretty special,’’ coach Josh Bourke fizzed after Carrigan’s second game. “He’s got promise. He’s a very good kick of the footy and a good runner.’’

Suggestions that we will be trading down could be because we are keen on players that expected to be available in the 2nd round. One Phantom Draft has linked to Lachlan Carrigan

View attachment 1023039

The 17-year-old has shot up in height in the past two years — and with his left-foot kicking and elite running ability he’s also risen in the rankings of AFL recruiters.

Ahead of the 2020 NAB League Boys season, Lachie Carrigan set out a few goals that he was determined to achieve.

He wanted to start well with Sandringham Dragons and force his way into the Vic Metro squad for the Under 18 national championships.

But he did get his invitation to the combine, along with seven other Sandy Dragons teammates. He was “stoked’’ when he received the news last week.

Carrigan was in bed when he got an email from AFL talent official Kevin Sheehan alerting him to his selection.

But the draft hopeful with pace and a piercing left-foot did his share of tossing and turning this year as he watched the pandemic delay and then dash the season.

“We all wanted to play but couldn’t get to the games to prove ourselves. We’d done the work. I was the fittest I’d ever been, felt really good. Then it was all waiting.

“We didn’t know how long we’d be in lockdown for. I had a bit of optimism, I guess, that we’d have the chance to play but there wasn’t much news on games. Once we heard a possible starting date, August 22, it started to get real again and we were getting ready to go. Then it was all called off. Turned out to be a pretty long year.’’

In between his Year 12 studies Carrigan kept himself busy with weights and running (three sessions a week for both) and ball work, usually with teammate Jake Bowey, at Boss James Reserve in Hampton.

Boss James is home to amateur club Hampton Rovers, where as a 16-year-old Carrigan featured in the Under 19 premiership team last year (he turned 17 in December).

He also figured in the St Bede’s College Herald Sun Shield flag, the first in the school’s history.

As a junior at Hampton Rovers and then East Sandringham, Carrigan played in strong teams but he was on the small side and always overlooked for interleague sides.

Early in 2018 he was 168cm. But he was starting to get noticed for his left foot and his running ability.

He’s shot up to 190cm and 76kg, and last year he pushed up for five games with the Dragons while the youngest player on their list.

“His kicking skills and some of the stuff he did was pretty special,’’ coach Josh Bourke fizzed after Carrigan’s second game. “He’s got promise. He’s a very good kick of the footy and a good runner.’’

I like it !

Split 17 into say Callow and a decent mid
Dees if they nab 17 off us.Gives them 17/18/19 in the draft.Gives them abit of a chance with those 3 picks to move up the order.
Might be enough for them to give us a future 1st in return.

Personally I’d like to see us hold onto pick 17, I think it’s situated really well to get our hands on a draft slider.

I know this years pool has limited exposure but I have complete faith in our recruiters to still get it right. I also question how worthwhile splitting the pick is as we’ll only be able to pick a limited number of players with the list cuts and to ensure we have a pick available to match a potential Rioli bid whenever that may come.

View attachment 1023039

Do you have a link to the phantom draft?

The AFL website has us with up to 6 picks in the draft (currently we have 32 senior listed players). However, given we're elevating Baker that would leave us with 3-5 picks in the national draft and anywhere from 0-3 rookie picks.

My guess is we take the minimum players in this draft and leave more room for all the late bloomers that will slip into next year's midseason rookie draft. I think there will be quite a few bargains in the midseason draft next year once Vic kids get a chance to show what they can do.

EDIT: We should also get an extra rookie spot due to Soldo's ACL as well. Depends if we think he's a chance of returning at all in 2021.

We have interest in essendons nga kids Cody Brand and Josh Eyre with our second round pick or a future 2nd to replace some oldies if some players dont drop our way plus we love bidding on nga's hey Brisbane. There's also a handful of teams like the dees, roos, port, hawks, freo that are into cody and josh who most have second round picks before essendons pick 44.

Last edited:
How would people feel about

17 36 & 61 for GWS 20 & 26.

If we believe that Rioli will not be bid on until late where we don't have to match. We could then add 2 top 30 rated kids elevate Baker & add Rioli which gives us the minimum 36 senior list, which then leaves us with 2 spots for the mini drafts as we would have 36 senior listed 5 Cat A rookies 1 Cat B rookie.

20 & 26 when NGA are taken into account probably slide back a bit into a range where we can then take a couple of talls without having to reach for them at our first pick or hope they slide to our next pick.

How would people feel about

17 36 & 61 for GWS 20 & 26.

If we believe that Rioli will not be bid on until late where we don't have to match. We could then add 2 top 30 rated kids elevate Baker & add Rioli which gives us the minimum 36 senior list, which then leaves us with 2 spots for the mini drafts as we would have 36 senior listed 5 Cat A rookies 1 Cat B rookie.

20 & 26 when NGA are taken into account probably slide back a bit into a range where we can then take a couple of talls without having to reach for them at our first pick or hope they slide to our next pick.
No take your best at 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Back