Meltdown NFC East - Cantankerous Bastards Getting a Room ©

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: the 3-4 and deception, the below might of some assistance. A 40+ year defensive coach at the college level:

"The offense breaks the huddle, and the defense responds to the offense’s formation. The 3-4, especially one filled with deception like Aranda’s scheme, is predicated on forcing the offense to respond to you. Aranda refers to this as “dictating the terms” of the matchup.

“They won’t know where we’re coming from, and they won’t see us when we come,” LSU defensive end Lewis Neal said.

Jenkins said deception is the biggest advantage to the 3-4.

“I think the thing that I always liked about the 3-4 was the ability to disguise the fourth rusher. That’s one of the really, really big advantages to the 3-4,” he said. “You can always identify your four rushers in a 4-3, but it’s really difficult to identify the fourth rusher if you lined up in a (three-lineman) concept.”"

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2fb8825c-5529-11e6-b34e-ef7a2626d82f.html

It's of course a misnomer to speak of the 3-4 as if all schemes are equal, and the words 'based on' are perhaps too strong. There are other reasons you might run a 3-4, i.e. more athleticism on the field. There are different schemes that operate in different ways, however it's plain that in pretty much any 3-4 scheme,when you take a pass rusher off the defensive line you'll attempt to disguise where the fourth pass rusher is coming from. i.e. deception.

It's not just the 3-4 of course. You could strongly argue that the game itself is strongly based around deception. You develop game plans and schemes to convince the opposition that you're doing one thing, so you can beat them with another. It might be that you run to set up the play action, or it might be that when you're struggling to block the pass rush you start calling screens.

Somewhat ironically Chip's defensive scheme was an attempt at deception. Think of his requirements at the safety position: interchangeable coverage safeties, so you couldnt work out the coverage of the defence based upon line up (in contrast to defences where you have a clear box safety).

Amusingly enough for this conversation deception, or a lack thereof, on offense is also one of the reasons that Chip failed in Philly. An utter lack of deception. Players from opposing teams walking away after games telling the media that they succeeded because they knew exactly what plays we were going to run, because we'd run them before.

I think they were playing the Benny Hill theme song during warm ups....

Eagles K Caleb Sturgis will miss Thursday's preseason game after suffering a concussion in warmups.

Sturgis wasn't wearing a helmet and got blindsided by a ball. It's noteworthy because Sturgis is battling Cody Parkey for the starting job. His injury could decide the competition.
Related: Cody Parkey

Source: Eagles on Twitter

Re: the 3-4 and deception, the below might of some assistance. A 40+ year defensive coach at the college level:

"The offense breaks the huddle, and the defense responds to the offense’s formation. The 3-4, especially one filled with deception like Aranda’s scheme, is predicated on forcing the offense to respond to you. Aranda refers to this as “dictating the terms” of the matchup.

“They won’t know where we’re coming from, and they won’t see us when we come,” LSU defensive end Lewis Neal said.

Jenkins said deception is the biggest advantage to the 3-4.

“I think the thing that I always liked about the 3-4 was the ability to disguise the fourth rusher. That’s one of the really, really big advantages to the 3-4,” he said. “You can always identify your four rushers in a 4-3, but it’s really difficult to identify the fourth rusher if you lined up in a (three-lineman) concept.”"

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2fb8825c-5529-11e6-b34e-ef7a2626d82f.html

I stopped reading when i read this:
The 3-4, these days, is a football fad. It’s the latest cool gizmo released by Apple, the new app you’ve just got to have. It's the defense’s version of the spread offense, a snazzy new system coaches began furiously adopting a decade ago.

Congratulations on finding an obscure college football beat reporter article that supported your deception argument. He looks very professional based on his profile pic.

I am done with this argument tbh because all you live for is winning an argument. This is why you vs chad just never ended, it was about winning the argument.

On an unrelated note LA, this maybe the best argument for your dak prescott prediction:
http://smartfootball.com/book#sthash.l82MNgxx.dpbs

I stopped reading when i read this:

Congratulations on finding an obscure college football beat reporter article that supported your deception argument. He looks very professional based on his profile pic.

I am done with this argument tbh because all you live for is winning an argument. This is why you vs chad just never ended, it was about winning the argument.

On an unrelated note LA, this maybe the best argument for your dak prescott prediction:
http://smartfootball.com/book#sthash.l82MNgxx.dpbs

Of course you stopped reading. Reading is plainly difficult for you. Thankfully, I provided the precise quote from the long time college positional coach directly. If you'd like we could arrange for someone to attend on you and read it slowly? Maybe draw some pictures?

It's tough love. Just trying to inspire you all to follow your dreams into greatness and unity with the cosmos.

Mate, don't you be bringing that serenity into this thread. We don't go for that sort of stuff around these parts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread ban or take the day off. My head is not in the game.

As I understand it, the apprentice shall strike down the dark lord and take his place before taking his own apprentice.

The rule of two reigns eternal.

As I understand it, the apprentice shall strike down the dark lord and take his place before taking his own apprentice.

The rule of two reigns eternal.
You're in charge for the day....I'll sit and watch the world burn...toast a marshmallow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back