Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron James the late Western Bulldogs player was 14 when Terry Wheeler debuted him in a VFA grand final with Williamstown.
Yeah just looked it up, pretty sure Tim was recruited as a 14 year old but happy to be corrected.

In isolation, it means * all.

Would you rather a Bailey Smith 55m high, long bomb to a contest up the line, or a Pendlebury 30m 45 degree kick into the corridor?

One gets double the 'metres gained', but is totally worthless to the team. Almost a liability.

Without context, that stat is just garbage.
Don't ask me stupid questions.

I gave you the answer as to why the stat was introduced and who it pertains to.

You know, Nick isn’t that blessed with freak athletic ability. He’s very agile and has good speed and is in the top 1-5% of endurance runners in the competition, but he is way less gifted then say a Danger, Cripps, Fyfe, Bont etc.

So I’m not going to cop people minimising his performances because his dad was an all time great. Yes, he had access to Peter who is probably the best kicking coach you could ask for but every single player coming up today has access to elite high performance coaching well before they even enter the draft.

The Kings were mentored by Matty Lloyd, if anyone was to rival Daicos in terms of kicking ability and knowledge of their position then it’s him. Yet, whilst the Kings are very good they aren’t generational talents like Daicos looks to be.

All I’m trying to say is that Nick was afforded a few advantages but none of them equate to a whole lot more than any other father son or prodigious talent in the modern game. He isn’t a genetic freak either. He didn’t just luck out. He to me is the epitome of a youth spent working on his craft in the park with his dad and brother for hours upon hours.

Why can’t we just sit back and enjoy what this 2nd year player is doing instead of trying to find flaws in his game?

Daicos is phenomenal and it is silly to deny it. He accumulates the ball as well as anyone since Ablett jr, has excellent kicking skills, and gets forward to kick goals.

He also highlights just how poor AFL coaches are in general. Collingwood have used him in a pretty unique way and other teams just seem clueless about how to stop him.

Collingwood: "What if we started Daicos in the backline, but gave him a mandate to run forward aggressively and receive the ball whenever amd wherever he can? I reckon we could get the most out of his kicking and running that way rather than him getting beaten up by bigger midfielders"

Other team coaches: "So you sre telling me he is basically a midfielder, but he starts in the back pocket. But then runs around like a midfielder? Outrageous! Such a thing is unfathomable! Pretend he doesnt exist"

Opposition bootstudder who worked his way up from nothing: "Are you sure that's a good idea? I reckon we should just plan to tag him"

Opposition coach: "how dare you overrule my authority. You're fired and your job is going to one of the blokes i played with 20 years ago who cant find a job. The rest of you - completely ignore Daicos. They are using him in an unfair way and acknowledging his existence would legitimise it. Now get back to bombing the ball long right at Darcy Moore and don't forget to completely change the way you are playing and go totally defensive when you get 5 goals ahead in the last quarter"

On a serious note, the fact that Collingwood have been able to build a fairly unique game style out of his skills this early in his career is testament to how good he is. In that regard he is arguably the best player since Dusty... (assuming he keeps this up and it becomes sustainable into september etc.)

And nobody that Williams played against had the access to modern coaching and pathways. Yet everyone Nick plays against has. That’s why your logic is so flawed

In those times, clubs had recruiting zones they were allocated. Williams wasn't in Geelong's zone.

If you were identified, the clubs had representative squads from about u/14 and upwards that played a handful of games per year and trained together maybe 1 night a week.

U/14s, u/15s, u/16s and u/17 scholarship squads. Once.you got through that you had the club's u/19s which played a full 22 game season plus finals, same as the seniors and reserves. There was also the Teal Cup which was a national carnival for the best u/18s in the country.

As an 18 and 19 year old Carlton invited him to train with them twice, twice.they rejected him for his lack of pace and fitness. Both times he returned to Bendigo and won the league's b&f. Geelong then recruited him and in his first game he had 38 touches and received 3 Brownlow votes.

You know, Nick isn’t that blessed with freak athletic ability. He’s very agile and has good speed and is in the top 1-5% of endurance runners in the competition, but he is way less gifted then say a Danger, Cripps, Fyfe, Bont etc.

So I’m not going to cop people minimising his performances because his dad was an all time great. Yes, he had access to Peter who is probably the best kicking coach you could ask for but every single player coming up today has access to elite high performance coaching well before they even enter the draft.

The Kings were mentored by Matty Lloyd, if anyone was to rival Daicos in terms of kicking ability and knowledge of their position then it’s him. Yet, whilst the Kings are very good they aren’t generational talents like Daicos looks to be.

All I’m trying to say is that Nick was afforded a few advantages but none of them equate to a whole lot more than any other father son or prodigious talent in the modern game. He isn’t a genetic freak either. He didn’t just luck out. He to me is the epitome of a youth spent working on his craft in the park with his dad and brother for hours upon hours.

Why can’t we just sit back and enjoy what this 2nd year player is doing instead of trying to find flaws in his game?
He may not have the burst speed/strength of some but his directional speed is off the charts, that was a trait his dad had too, twisting and turning at speed, weaving a web.

In those times, clubs had recruiting zones they were allocated. Williams wasn't in Geelong's zone.

If you were identified, the clubs had representative squads from about u/14 and upwards that played a handful of games per year and trained together maybe 1 night a week.

U/14s, u/15s, u/16s and u/17 scholarship squads. Once.you got through that you had the club's u/19s which played a full 22 game season plus finals, same as the seniors and reserves. There was also the Teal Cup which was a national carnival for the best u/18s in the country.

As an 18 and 19 year old Carlton invited him to train with them twice, twice.they rejected him for his lack of pace and fitness. Both times he returned to Bendigo and won the league's b&f. Geelong then recruited him and in his first game he had 38 touches and received 3 Brownlow votes.
Your point is?

To be honest, I'm not seeing many people trying to shoot him down at all.

Most acknowledge he's really good and playing really well.

There are a some though that don't seem to directly correlate a player's possession count with their ability and/or impact as a player. And they're absolutely correct.

Yeah but he's no Tom Rockliff or Tom Mitchell. His posessions impact the game in a big way. Goes at 80% gets large meters gained and kicks goals. That an impact player...

It is a bit weird how some people are intent on tearing him down.

Can't we just all appreciate a young superstar in the game? He's one of those that regardless of your allegiance, you tune in to see him in action.

It feels like the last decade or so we haven't really had many of those kinds of players.

with infinite qualifications. As a GC supporter got to cut you some slack. You've really only seen one player as good as this and he pocketed your cash and went back home.
I'm not a Gold Coast supporter.

Secondly, I didn't add any qualifications.

Do I think he's the greatest player ever? No.

Do I think he's the greatest player right now? No.

Do I think he's a good player? Yes.

That's hardly potting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a Gold Coast supporter.

Secondly, I didn't add any qualifications.

Do I think he's the greatest player ever? No.

Do I think he's the greatest player right now? No.

Do I think he's a good player? Yes.

That's hardly potting him.
Would he sneak into your top 100 current AFL players?

What gift does Cripps have?
He seems to have a lot less skill but with his size he relies on being an inside brute.

It's easy to forget how good Peter was as a teenager.

In 1981, as a 19 year old (younger than 20 year old Nick), across 9 weeks beginning at round 1, Peter kicked bags of 6, 6, 6, 7, and 9. He ended the year with 76 goals and only turned 20 during that year's finals series.

Nick is a great player, but imo Peter was better at the same age.

To be honest, I'm not seeing many people trying to shoot him down at all.

Most acknowledge he's really good and playing really well.

There are a some though that don't seem to directly correlate a player's possession count with their ability and/or impact as a player. And they're absolutely correct.
So what is it exactly in his game do you think he needs to do better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back