Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The goals thing is possible - but how does he serve the team best? It's probably not by starting off in the forward half. His benefit is setting the team up. He'll probably increase his goal assist numbers, not his goals.
He’ll be a starting mid in a year or 2.

Playing up an age group when you're born on January 3rd isn't that great of an achievement, and I think Sheezel and Ashcroft averaging some of the best numbers for 1st year players shows missing some games during the covid years was not a deleterious as one may have thought. They could still run and weight train which is probably more important.
You just have excuses and deflectings just being a hater posting rubbish 🙄 daicos in his first year was winning games off his on boot with 40 touches and three or four goals against Adelaide in the rain turning Collingwood from bottom of the ladder to a preliminary final. Ashcroft and cheezle aren’t doing that even though they will be great player’s. If daicos played for another team you liked you probably wouldn’t be posting excuses and hate.

who cares about the Brownlow? I feel like only novices respect the medal. The only respected award in footy by true footy nuts is the coaches votes and Daicos is leading that by a long way. So that I respect. The midfielders medal has been a joke for years. Look at Ollie Wines who won it on a equal record number of votes? The guy is barely a top 100 player now.

Daicos is a gun, I love watching him play but the Brownlow doesn't mean anything.
Means Jack sht when someone from another team wins it, but it means the world when a Collingwood player wins it :)

I do hear what you’re saying though, but if a joke our most prestigious award is voted on by people who zero idea about playing football.

Being the son of an ATG or even just a former AFL player is obviously a giant advantage as far as training, coaching, mindset etc is. Unless your dads name is Gary Ablett. While not being a hinderance as such, Srs lack of discipline as a footballer (among other things) and the ungoldy amount of talent he had makes him a terrible role model/mentor IMO.
Ashcroft is another who is marveled at for being so professional at a young age but who is father is has had an enormous impact on how he trains and how professional his approach is. I'm not sure that it means you are closer to your ceiling as a youngster, there may or may not be scientific evidence to back that up but from my limited knowledge on the subject, training kids and teens in a more professional setting gives them a higher overall ceiling. Good/Great genetics are only one factor in how a kid/teen develops to adulthood as an athlete.
Another example is Tom Scully who averaged the 3rd most disposals of his career (21.5) in his 1st year.

He was so well prepared that the people in the TAC cup choose to turn the beep test machine off when he was still going at 16.5 during his draft year.

Interestingly he was another outsider who wasn't built for winning his own ball who essentially peaked early.

Clearly you don't know what a contested possession is. That includes loose ball gets mate. Did you not watch the squibs against Brisbane? What more evidence do you need that he is weak in the contest? It's like you're trying so hard to look at the stats without actually watching the game. Like I said, Jake Lloyd has more contested possessions than Maynard. So Jake Lloyd is better than Maynard at contested football using the exact same logic.lol
The squibs? Jesus, one instance has suddenly been turned in to multiple squibs huh?
He’s not a contested beast. He doesn’t have to be, and we don’t want him to be. But he averages almost 9 contested possessions per game which is the 6th highest at the club, and elite by position. The people trying to pick apart his game like you clutch at straws to find anything they can to criticise. It’s pathetic, and the external bullshit is clearly starting to get to him given his reaction when he talked about getting advice from his Dad in the press conference.

He’ll be a starting mid in a year or 2.
I never really get the need for good players to become mids. Whatever position you benefit the team in is the best position for you. Corey Enright could have been a starting mid, but just did what he did in the back half.

I personally don't think ND needs to be in the centre square for bounces. He comes in off the back of the square, and moves the ball forward because he has time and space. He starts chains from the goal square etc. By using the term 'mid' if you mean he'll follow the ball around the ground - then I think he already has the license to roam and seems to be whereever the ball is.

I don't think he'll ever have the size or strength to deal with an offensive beast at a ball up. He'll likely get belted around if he comes up against a Danger, De Goey, Neale type. So what would be the point? The beauty of Nick is getting the ball in space and then immediately putting the ball into the right spot to wrong-foot the opposition. It's not about burst or grunt work.

who cares about the Brownlow? I feel like only novices respect the medal. The only respected award in footy by true footy nuts is the coaches votes and Daicos is leading that by a long way. So that I respect. The midfielders medal has been a joke for years. Look at Ollie Wines who won it on a equal record number of votes? The guy is barely a top 100 player now.

Daicos is a gun, I love watching him play but the Brownlow doesn't mean anything.
You’d be the first one jizzing your pants if Oliver or Petracca won one.

Means Jack sht when someone from another team wins it, but it means the world when a Collingwood player wins it :)

I do hear what you’re saying though, but if a joke our most prestigious award is voted on by people who zero idea about playing football.
lol, I get it. I think it's more that forwards and defenders don't get votes. One year Steven May was the AA fullback and got 0 votes, yet some scrub like Dunstan gets 12 :) I think an independent panel would be a better idea and awarding more votes too (i.e. more than 3 players) because the Brownlow also doesn't reward consistency either. You can get a best on ground 3 vote game and follow that up with worst on ground for the next 2 weeks and still win.

You just have excuses and deflectings just being a hater posting rubbish 🙄 daicos in his first year was winning games off his on boot with 40 touches and three or four goals against Adelaide in the rain turning Collingwood from bottom of the ladder to a preliminary final. Ashcroft and cheezle aren’t doing that even though they will be great player’s. If daicos played for another team you liked you probably wouldn’t be posting excuses and hate.
Don't have any hate for Collingwood or Daicos.

Don't support a team, just a fan of the game, but couldn't display that in my profile.

I bet $1K on Collingwood to win over 12.5 games at $1.90 and $750 on them to make the top 4 at $3 before the season started, so if anything my allegiance is with them currently.

The squibs? Jesus, one instance has suddenly been turned in to multiple squibs huh?
He’s not a contested beast. He doesn’t have to be, and we don’t want him to be. But he averages almost 9 contested possessions per game which is the 6th highest at the club, and elite by position. The people trying to pick apart his game like you clutch at straws to find anything they can to criticise. It’s pathetic, and the external bullshit is clearly starting to get to him given his reaction when he talked about getting advice from his Dad in the press conference.
To be fair he did it twice in the Brisbane game. Once against Wilmott and once against Aschcroft. I'm not sure if he 'squibbed' or just spent it before he had it.

You’d be the first one jizzing your pants if Oliver or Petracca won one.
hand on heart, I wouldn't care. I'd forget it by the next morning. Like I said, the coaches award is the most respected award in footy. Oliver won the coaches award twice so I know he's reached the pinnacle. The Brownlow has been a laughable award for years.

To be fair he did it twice in the Brisbane game. Once against Wilmott and once against Aschcroft. I'm not sure if he 'squibbed' or just spent it before he had it.
If it’s the ones I’m thinking of he spent it before he had it imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If daicos jr wins the Charlie before Oliver I’ll piss my self laughing. 😂 have a bet with them posters if daicos wins the Charlie they have to change there avatar to daicos jr 🫢

Those saying Nick is almost at his ceiling...

Holy s**t. I can't believe some of you haven't died performing basic tasks.
Is that really that bad of a take? He's obviously incredibly good already, what more can he really do? His fundamentals of kicking, decision making and his endurance are near maxed out. His next step is to obviously add a bit more muscle and be able to play more forward of the ball throughout a whole game. Instead of some of the dinky little 1-2's he does currently to evade players he will just run straight through them hopefully. Where do you see his ceiling?

Daicos by a country mile. It doesn't contradict anything that I said above though. but spitting contested ball numbers which I've clearly disproven as being irrelevant and misleading doesn't fool me. Daicos is poor in doing the hard stuff. Does he need to? No, not really. He can just stick to what he's doing now. But don't tell me it's a strength when it's a weakness.
Won’t be too long before it becomes a strength, he’s that kind of kid.

Spot on. He definitely did it more than once. I saw 3-4 times. But only 1 went viral on twitter. But I don't want to take away from Daicos. The kid is a jet and as humble as you can get. What a great father son to be given. lol

Please.

There's no way a dwarf won't get worked out.

Post #1 - zero value added.

To be fair, most of his touches are from kick-ins and follow up possessions from said kick-ins.

Post #2 - ‘most’? Good job digging yourself deeper into that hole.
Ok, after carefully reviewing the feedback I've received on this thread, I've decided to concede that he's a very good player.

Carry on..
Your only considerable post all thread.
Can we please, pretty please, stop talking about possessions like it matters?

Aside from Super Coach or whatever that s*t is, in isolation a 'posession' means absolutely fu* all.
Then you regressed back to terrible posting.
Metres Gained is up there with the most pointless and useless stat there is.
Hole getting bigger again.

TBF, you haven’t been terrible, but you’re as good as Nick Daicos in traffic with your dodging of questions.

Then you regressed back to terrible posting.

Hole getting bigger again.

TBF, you haven’t been terrible, but you’re as good as Nick Daicos in traffic with your dodging of questions.

I stand by those two posts and opinions 100%.

The first two were clearly tongue in cheek, and just in case it wasn't obvious enough - I literally stated it for the absolute cretins out there.

Seems I needed it be even clearer than literally stating it. And it also seems there is something dumber than an absolute cretin.

I think it's fine to just concede the contested possession thing, he's an outside player so it doesn't matter anyway. But contested possessions as a measure of actually winning contests don't work because elite "loose ball get" players (which are to be commended...it's not a cheap possession as such, it's just different to a contest) rack them up too. They should always have been put in a different category, not quite contested, not quite uncontested.

Your best 3 point shooter doesn't have to be an elite defensive player, your best batsman doesn't have to be a tidy leg spinner and so on. As of yet, Daicos isn't a contested player. They don't really need him to be.

Yeah, he is also born on January 3rd, meaning he missed the cut-off for the 2020 draft by 3 days. Combined with the extra development he's had from the "grooming" he is almost a 3rd year player.

Look, don't get me wrong, he's going to be a really good player for Collingwood and likely a top 15 player in the comp at the least for the next 10-15 years. That's a great outcome, but when you look at the Brownlow medalists of the last 12 years:

Cripps (195cm/ 93kg)
Wines (190cm/ 99kg)
Neale (178cm 84kg) - biggest legs in Australia
Fyfe (192cm/ 94kg)
Mitchell (182cm/ 83kg)
Martin (187cm/ 93kg)
Dangerfield (189cm/ 97kg)
Priddis (185cm/ 86kg)
Ablett (182cm/ 87kg)
Watson (191cm/ 93kg)
Swan (185cm/ 93kg)
Judd (189cm/ 88kg)

That's a mean of 187cm/ 91kg, Little Nick is 184cm/ 79kg, and before you say he can put on 10kg, it's just not as simple as that.

He simply doesn't have the frame or physiology to be carrying around a large amount of weight.

Only Tom Mitchell bucked the trend of being a 'non-burly-boy', but in his first 2 seasons 45% of his disposals were contested. Only 27% of Daicos' disposals are contested. To me this suggests that his impact will be much more easily thwarted if teams choose to put some work into him, as well as the fact that he quite simply just doesn't align with what the meta is for a long-term superstar match winner of the competition.

His comparison is Zach Merrett (but better), which is a tremendous player, but that type of player is not ever going to be an Ablett, Petracca, Oliver type of player.

I remember when Rowell debuted, and he was on a heater, and people were saying "this is the next Judd".

It was like how?

He's a midget with no speed, average kick, how do you see the attributes he has making him play to the level of a superstar long-term.

His honey-moon period wore off, and he reverted back to his mean - which is Brad Sewell on steroids.
We don’t know how he’s polling in the Brownlow. Although was our equal leading vote getter last year from memory. He is without a doubt having a better year this year.

And looking at the coaches’ votes, he is clearly highly regarded by all despite what the punters on here argue. Ross Lyon gave him the maximum last week, and Scott gave him the maximum in yesterday’s game.

So, in summary, I think your analysis is completely flawed. You need to look at more than simply ‘body type’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back