Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is something so overly simplistic about that, that it makes me wonder how stupid footballers are. If the concept of a tag, Crowley style, is to simply follow the player and be at their toe at every moment of the ground, then simply swapping positions with a teammate should not detract from that. In any event, the longer opposition teams continue to persist against tagging Daicos, then they're going to find other ways to get the 4 points notwithstanding his influence
I agree to an extent, but I think coaches want the tagger to not only tag, but to positively influence the game. To beat their man.

In lower levels of footy a negating role is fine. I'm not a very good footballer but I'm a great athlete so I would be deployed as a tagger when someone got off the leash in local footy. I would negate them completely, but I wouldn't earn anything myself. I don't think you can afford to do that at AFL level.

I agree to an extent, but I think coaches want the tagger to not only tag, but to positively influence the game. To beat their man.

In lower levels of footy a negating role is fine. I'm not a very good footballer but I'm a great athlete so I would be deployed as a tagger when someone got off the leash in local footy. I would negate them completely, but I wouldn't earn anything myself. I don't think you can afford to do that at AFL level.
The problem in today’s AFL landscape is clubs ‘back their own systems in’ and ‘trust their own processes’. It’s almost contradictory to an AFL side’s philosophy to try and negate an offensive weapon for an opposition because it’d be them moving away from their own system. It’s bloody stupid though. If someone has gone off the leash - you have to stop them to win a game of footy.

The problem in today’s AFL landscape is clubs ‘back their own systems in’ and ‘trust their own processes’. It’s almost contradictory to an AFL side’s philosophy to try and negate an offensive weapon for an opposition because it’d be them moving away from their own system. It’s bloody stupid though. If someone has gone off the leash - you have to stop them to win a game of footy.
I agree with the caveat that you should back your own system in prior to employing negating tactics that result in both players having minimal impact on the game. Because that one negating role may heavily influence your teams ability to play as they had planned to.

In the scenario that say, Daicos got off the leash against us and Ed Curnow was in the side I'd be happy for us to deploy Ed as a tagger and have him not touch the footy at all in an effort to stop him.

Surpassed judd as best young player of the modern era.
If Nick happens to win the Brownlow he will be the youngest ever winner. Judd holds that mantle currently.
Different players, both stars.
Nick better than Judd and GAJ in his first 30 games.

I agree with the caveat that you should back your own system in prior to employing negating tactics that result in both players having minimal impact on the game. Because that one negating role may heavily influence your teams ability to play as they had planned to.

In the scenario that say, Daicos got off the leash against us and Ed Curnow was in the side I'd be happy for us to deploy Ed as a tagger and have him not touch the footy at all in an effort to stop him.
Exactly.

With all due respect to Curnow, but you’d take 5-6 possessions if it meant Daicos only had 10-15 and they were under pressure.

Surpassed judd as best young player of the modern era.
I heard Hodge said something along the lines of Judd was obviously a superstar from the get go, but he also had prime Cousins and Kerr who were the main men and sheltered abit of the pressure off him where as Collingwood practically treat Daicos as the main man/driver for the the team in his second year, which makes his influence on the game all the more impressive.

Coaches just to stubborn to do the obvious and play someone on him, Sydney play Ryan Clarke on him and he kicks Daicos's backside one on one

Good player, he is no Gavin Urquhart tho

Let’s leave discussion on the value of stats to a different thread folks. I can see how the topic came up, so previous discussion about it can stay, but let’s keep this thread about Daicos going forward.

If Nick happens to win the Brownlow he will be the youngest ever winner. Judd holds that mantle currently.
I think Judd and Daicos were more ready-made, they had weapons that were instantly relevant, while the likes of Ablett, Dusty and Horne-Francis have strength-based games and so take longer to develop.

Cool input. No substance so you go personal on a forum. Such a rookie move

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I suggest you read my post that you originally quoted and respond to some of the substance in that.

Or not. Couldn't really give a rats one way or the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very different players.
Silly statement.

Glad N.Daicos is ours in any case!

Last edited:

Wanganeen was younger. Quite a few 20 year olds won it and given Daicos was born early Jan I assume they were younger too, without looking it up.

If Nick wins the Brownlow he'll be the 2nd youngest winner. Haydn Bunton won the first of his 3 Brownlows as a 20 year old in his first season with Fitzroy. Bunton was 20 years and 2 months old when he won. Nick D (if he did win it) would be 20 years and 9 months.

EDIT: just saw HairyO's comment. Yep, Wanganeen was 20 and 3 months when he won. I reckon Bunton is still the youngest winner.
EDIT to EDIT: Dick Reynolds was only 19 years old when he won his first of 3 Brownlows. Maybe I should have spent a few moments to research this!

Last edited:
If Nick wins the Brownlow he'll be the 2nd youngest winner. Haydn Bunton won the first of his 3 Brownlows as a 20 year old in his first season with Fitzroy. Bunton was 20 years and 2 months old when he won. Nick D (if he did win it) would be 20 years and 9 months.
Cheers. Perhaps I should have added in the modern game although Wanganeen was 20 and around 3 months as well.

Only injury will stop ND from winning IMO. Arguably will miss out on votes in one game thus far, and probably has 5 BOG's

Also, he will win votes by default because of what historically was known as the Lord factor. In 1963 Alistair and Stuart Lord played for Geelong. Alistair won the Brownlow but is believed to have incorrectly received votes meant for Stuart

Only injury will stop ND from winning IMO. Arguably will miss out on votes in one game thus far, and probably has 5 BOG's
Yes mate. 5 BOG and one with 2 votes. IMO.
Comfortably leading the coaches votes from Bontempelli next.

Yes mate. 5 BOG and one with 2 votes. IMO.
Comfortably leading the coaches votes from Bontempelli next.
And he seems to be getting better, if that's possible. Not a bad get by the Pies;)

And he seems to be getting better, if that's possible. Not a bad get by the Pies;)
For those saying why doesn't he get tagged. It would be to the detriment of the opposing team to sacrifice a forward. Coaches know this.
Nick plays as a HBF with free reign to play wherever he likes.

When Captain of the Oakleigh Chargers teams tried regularly to tag him. It doesn't work.

Like GAJ, he has a huge tank and zig zags his way across the field at speed.

Easier said than done.

For those saying why doesn't he get tagged. It would be to the detriment of the opposing team to sacrifice a forward. Coaches know this.
Nick plays as a HBF with free reign to play wherever he likes.

When Captain of the Oakleigh Chargers teams tried regularly to tag him. It doesn't work.

Like GAJ, he has a huge tank and zig zags his way across the field at speed.

Easier said than done.

I would tag him with a wing and then challenge the other team to let me have an extra forward.

I would tag him with a wing and then challenge the other team to let me have an extra forward.
Seen it all mate. Bloke is a freak.
Low center of gravity, a huge tank and one step ahead of everyone where the ball is going next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back