Nick Riewoldt v Matthew Pavlich ( career wise )

Nick Riewoldt v Matthew Pavlich

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Necromancer Beth

Turn On The Bright Lights
Mar 17, 2012
NYC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Two mordern day champions.

Riewoldt is a 4 x All Australian, MVP winner and has won 5 B&Fs. Pavlich is a 6 x All Australian and has won 6 B&Fs. Which player will be remembered as the better player?

Two mordern day champions.

Riewoldt is a 4 x All Australian, MVP winner and has won 5 B&Fs. Pavlich is a 6 x All Australian and has won 6 B&Fs. Which player will be remembered as the better player?

Pavlich. Carried Freo for many years and still dominates today.

Riewoldt by quite a fair distance...over 8 marks & 2 goals per game as their sole centre half forward is a pretty fair effort.
Has been consistent throughout his finals history also.

Easy to forget as time flies by but Riewoldt at 19-25 was unbelievably good. Was a totally different player to the one we see today as injuries and the position he plays in have finally caught up with him.
He kind of exploded onto the scene from day 1 like Judd did for the Eagles.

I think Reiwoldt at his absolute best was a better player than Pav. But Reiwoldt has been restricted by dodgey knees for years and Pav has been a better player over the long run and is a better kick for Goal.

Right now I'd take Pav but in 04,05,06 Big Nick was the man.

Would have to pick Pavlich on this one. Better around the field and in front of goal. Even though both have carried their respective teams, Pav's weight has been a lot heavier.

I think Reiwoldt at his absolute best was a better player than Pav. But Reiwoldt has been restricted by dodgey knees for years and Pav has been a better player over the long run and is a better kick for Goal.

Right now I'd take Pav but in 04,05,06 Big Nick was the man.

And 08 and 09 Riewoldt was better as well. Seriously underrated on this site.

Pav simply a gun and is freo's best ever player and gets my vote every day of the week.
Reiwolt a good player don't get me wrong but still think Pav better

but in 04,05,06 Big Nick was the man.
Pavlich: 71 goals Riewoldt: 60

Pavlich: 61 Riewoldt: 33

Pavlich: only just moved to a key forward role.

And 08 and 09 Riewoldt was better as well. Seriously underrated on this site.

Pavlich: 67 Riewoldt: 65
But yeh he was better in 09 I'll give you that one. Though he did play mostly midfield that year so not hard.

Just for the sake of it

Pavlich: 61 Riewoldt: 39.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pavlich: 71 goals Riewoldt: 60

Pavlich: 61 Riewoldt: 33

Pavlich: only just moved to a key forward role.

Pavlich: 67 Riewoldt: 65
But yeh he was better in 09 I'll give you that one. Though he did play mostly midfield that year so not hard.

Just for the sake of it

Pavlich: 61 Riewoldt: 39.

Why do people always insist on rating CHF players on goals? Between 04-07 Gehrig was St Kilda's leading goal kicker and won 2 coleman medals yet it was Reiwoldt who won 3 club best and fairests in this period.

Basically you comparing goals kicked is meaningless otherwise Gehrig owns both these players.

Why do people always insist on rating CHF players on goals? Between 04-07 Gehrig was St Kilda's leading goal kicker and won 2 coleman medals yet it was Reiwoldt who won 3 club best and fairests in this period.

Basically you comparing goals kicked is meaningless otherwise Gehrig owns both these players.

Gehrig played mostly full forward. I'm not comparing Fevola to Brown here, Pav and nick both play true CHF roles.

Riewoldt doesn't beat Pav in any other stats so not sure how you are measuring these players.

Also ignoring major injuries in 2005 and 2010.

Riewoldt's best was better, Pav more durable. I'll go Riewoldt as I'm happy to lose roughly a season across a career for a higher peak.

Gehrig played mostly full forward. I'm not comparing Fevola to Brown here, Pav and nick both play true CHF roles.

Riewoldt doesn't beat Pav in any other stats so not sure how you are measuring these players.

Reiwoldt has taken 400 more marks in his career than Pav despite playing 50 less games. A CHF primary role is to lead up and be the marking target between CHF and the middle of the ground.

Edit: How can Brown not be considered true CHF?

Reiwoldt has taken 400 more marks in his career than Pav despite playing 50 less games. A CHF primary role is to lead up and be the marking target between CHF and the middle of the ground.

Edit: How can Brown not be considered true CHF?

The role of a CHF is to take marks but that doesn't come before having an impact on the scoreboard otherwise taking a mark is pointless. Pavlich is a more complete player and can have an impact scorewise without taking alot of marks, and beats Riewoldt for contested possessions, twice as many goal assists, tackles, pretty much everything besides marks. Franklin is regarded as the best forward in the comp because of how much influence he has not just how many marks he gets.

I ment comparing Gehrig to Riewoldt is like comparing Fevola (full forward) to Brown (CHF)

The role of a CHF is to take marks but that doesn't come before having an impact on the scoreboard otherwise taking a mark is pointless. Pavlich is a more complete player and can have an impact scorewise without taking alot of marks, and beats Riewoldt for contested possessions, twice as many goal assists, tackles, pretty much everything besides marks. Franklin is regarded as the best forward in the comp because of how much influence he has not just how many marks he gets.

I ment comparing Gehrig to Riewoldt is like comparing Fevola (full forward) to Brown (CHF)

Riewoldt has held down the toughest position on the ground to play and been one of the best we've seen. Pavlich can't hold down one.

But how can you compare the two players based on goals kicked when Reiwoldt wasn't required to kick as many goals in the first 5 or so years of his career. Gehrig was the focal point and Reiwoldt mostly played high up leading to the center and wings. Pav has been the only bloke capable of kicking goals at Freo for a decade now.

Stats are not the end all and be all to football. I know they are useful for reiterating points but I guess I am just going from experience and football which I have watched but Reiwoldt is truly the better CHF. Pav has more versatility certainly but still if I was building a side I would take Reiwoldt any day.

Back