Scandal Nick Stevens may be jailed - Multiple counts of assaulting a woman

Remove this Banner Ad

Prison is full of people who couldn't control their emotions and anger

There is the odd psychopathic person

Stevens isn't a psychopath
i agree with the premise that jail should only be for 'bad people' not for normal people who do bad things in a moment of weakness. i don't subscribe for one second that jail is an effective 'correctional' service nor do i believe it to be an effective tool of justice. in my opinion the only time a human being deserves to be in jail is because they present a realistic danger to innocent people in our society. but i think Stevens falls into this category, if it was a one off i'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he snapped in a moment of anger of something but if this happens repeatedly then it's syptomatic of something inherent to his personality and whether it's his fault of not, the safety of society has to come first.

i agree with the premise that jail should only be for 'bad people' not for normal people who do bad things in a moment of weakness. i don't subscribe for one second that jail is an effective 'correctional' service nor do i believe it to be an effective tool of justice. in my opinion the only time a human being deserves to be in jail is because they present a realistic danger to innocent people in our society. but i think Stevens falls into this category, if it was a one off i'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he snapped in a moment of anger of something but if this happens repeatedly then it's syptomatic of something inherent to his personality and whether it's his fault of not, the safety of society has to come first.

I agree

I think he will benefit from a short stay in prison

Plus we have to remember the costs ...it's $800-$1000 per day to keep someone in prison

ITS ROUGHLY $56 per day to put them through counselling or community based programs

You can see why governments want less people going to jail

Steven's is a maggot

There is also the punitive aspect though. And the rehab aspect - it's not as simple as you are X, therefore Y. Especially in DV cases.

There is also the punitive aspect though. And the rehab aspect - it's not as simple as you are X, therefore Y. Especially in DV cases.
for the record i think DV cases are an instance where the offender presents a danger to society which means i'm cool with them being incarcerated because even though the cost to the taxpayer/society is greater we happily bear that cost to protect peoples safety. But i'm against prison for things like drug offences, fraud, tax evasion etc

for the record i think DV cases are an instance where the offender presents a danger to society which means i'm cool with them being incarcerated because even though the cost to the taxpayer/society is greater we happily bear that cost to protect peoples safety. But i'm against prison for things like drug offences, fraud, tax evasion etc
Isn't he accused of bashing a women? Why is this being debated. He deserves time behind bars as currently he is a worthless turd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anger is ok in small doses.

It's what you do when your angry, how do we bring them back to being calm

Relationships are critical ...we must role model to our own kids how a good relationship functions

I run anger management courses from for teens, what I teach is anger is normal - punching someone isn't an appropriate response
I always say to my heart to my kids “it’s okay to be angry, it’s not okay to go and smash someone’s because of it though”

This light weight punishment is utter crap.

The national efforts to highlight and address domestic violence and the downstream, long term damage it does isn’t really undermined by stuff like this.

It’s not okay to hit your partner. You don’t get chances with that. We all have been drunk, we have all made mistakes, but nobody gets a pass on this one by having a bad day.

This light weight punishment is utter crap.

The national efforts to highlight and address domestic violence and the downstream, long term damage it does isn’t really undermined by stuff like this.

It’s not okay to hit your partner. You don’t get chances with that. We all have been drunk, we have all made mistakes, but nobody gets a pass on this one by having a bad day.
Mate, they’re lightweight on every level.

How many times have you watched the news and thought that the punishment doesn’t fit the crime, or worse still that the perpetrator has just killed some poor innocent prick going about their business while this scum is out on parole?

It drives me ******* wild.

/rant

Mate, they’re lightweight on every level.

How many times have you watched the news and thought that the punishment doesn’t fit the crime, or worse still that the perpetrator has just killed some poor innocent prick going about their business while this scum is out on parole?

It drives me ******* wild.

/rant

Unfortunately, we live by a judicial system which believes in rehabilitation. They are there to pass judgement on the accused, not to consider the health and welfare of victims. Our legal system has always been arse up for this very reason.

Unfortunately, we live by a judicial system which believes in rehabilitation. They are there to pass judgement on the accused, not to consider the health and welfare of victims. Our legal system has always been arse up for this very reason.

You simply don't have a clue.

No? Well then, tell us all

It's a common trait amongst people of an ignorant mindset to believe they are speaking for everyone.

They also tend to need a crowd to back them up.

...about it seeing as you are so full of knowledge,

I'm comfortable in believeing I have more understanding of these issues than you.

Rather than just insult people,

Where did I insult you? Do you ever sit back and say to yourself, "by christ, I am very easily outraged"

....why not actually contribute to the conversation smartarse.

Double standards?

The existing approach is getting solid results.

Crime statistics suggest that recidivism decreases by a half once the matter is brought to the attention of the authorities:

Overall recidivism rates

Overall, just over half (51%, n=15,611) of all perpetrators recorded for at least one incident in 2010 –11 were recorded for a further family incident between the time of their index incident and the end of March 2015, and 49% (n=15,084) were not recorded for a further incident. The median number of further incidents amongst recidivist perpetrators who did have a recidivism incident was two and the mean number of further incidents was 3.35 (SD=3.43).

https://www.crimestatistics.vic.gov.../06/96/97f49b66e/20160530_final_in_brief4.pdf

What works to reduce recidivism by domestic violence offenders?

FINDINGS

Our primary charge was to examine the effectiveness of DV treatment.The legislative study direction included a requirement to examine supervision and other options for the general offender population; the Gender and Justice Commissional so expressed interest in other approaches.Therefore,we expanded our review of the DV treatment literature and present our findings based on the type of treatment approach,
as follows:

A. Group based DV Treatment
B.Other Approaches to Reducing Recidivism by DV Offenders
C.Interventions for the General Offender Population that may Apply to DV Populations

http://wsipp.wa.gov/ReportFile/1119

It's a little more informative than "lock them up and throw away the key"

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back