Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some pretty positive words from the reigning premiership coach re Noble.

I haven't watched yet but felt a chill reading that.

A chill of when Mick Malthouse used to talk up Brad Scott knowing he was comfortable he'd forever own him.

A chill of when Mick Malthouse used to talk up Brad Scott knowing he was comfortable he'd forever own him.

I don't even need to watch it.

I just feel so much calmer already now knowing a senior coach even went against "the playbook" by supporting rather than criticising a rival senior coach. (because the latter happens a lot doesn't it)

Was more relevant I thought because Goodwin had a number of supporters calling for his axing when things werent going well at Melbourne. Having him relate to Nobles situation and endorse him and other people (I assume he’s also referring to Macpherson) at the club, is a small positive in this cluster fk thread of negativity.

Was more relevant I thought because Goodwin had a number of supporters calling for his axing when things werent going well at Melbourne. Having him relate to Nobles situation and endorse him and other people (I assume he’s also referring to Macpherson) at the club, is a small positive in this cluster fk thread of negativity.

It's a nice sentiment. Like when they slip the bloke a lit cigarette before the blindfold goes on.

I'll assume David can hold on to his job for the remainder of the season.

The 2022 trade period and by extension the 2023 list and best 22 composition will be the first real artefacts he can be judged on.

He'll have had his 2nd full preseason and 2nd in-control trade period. If we run with another imbalanced list then he was likely blindly watching on or not exerting enough influence to force things to be otherwise.

A few of us differ on how far we should be plunging right now in the name of a 'rebuild' and exactly how rebuilding side should look.

Putting that aside - next year you'd want to see a lot more players in the best 22 who are seen as at least one of the following:
  • Part of the next premiership tilt
  • Play a best 22 stability role - ie a stronger body to support the kids. eg Greenwood (in theory)
  • Provide leadership
  • Are getting exposure ahead of schedule in a key post (eg Edwards, KPF draftee etc getting some blooding games) IMO we need to be getting some senior opportunity into more than 1x key forward and 1x key back who project as part of a premiership push
Just on the last point before we all gasp and think you can't give young players seen as key to the future some blooding games.

I always hark back to Denis as the point of truth. Despite a reputation as a win for the now type, he was great at giving young players 1-2 senior games just to get a taste of the pace in their formative years.

Players I recall him doing this with:
Harvey
Simpson
Capuano
Pickett
Brilliant post KC and I am in full agreeance.
I would love to see Comben getting a run in our F50 as I reckon it would help Larkey and Zurhaar no end whilst giving him some much needed experience. He needs to get that body right.
If we come away from the mid-season or end of season draft/trade period with another bunch of midfielders, I'll be first in line knocking on Nobles door with a silver platter and sword. KPPs all the way baby!!

It's a nice sentiment. Like when they slip the bloke a lit cigarette before the blindfold goes on.

I actually still can't believe people take what Goodwin said seriously.

Yeah he is going to be honest and say;

"I think Noble should be sacked. I was nearly sacked too due to my gambling issues and being completely useless, however I now fluked a flag due to extreme prior AFL assistance so now i'm a super coach but should really mind my own business".

I actually still can't believe people take what Goodwin said seriously.

Yeah he is going to be honest and say;

"I think Noble should be sacked. I was nearly sacked too due to my gambling issues and being useless, however I now fluked a flag due to extreme prior AFL assistance so now i'm a super coach but should really mind my own business".

This you?

I don't even need to watch it.

I just feel so much calmer already now knowing a senior coach even went against "the playbook" by supporting rather than criticising a rival senior coach. (because the latter happens a lot doesn't it)

Jim Carrey 90S GIF

F*** I hated this. 0-5 his record. The worse was the 2 ******* losses to Carlton in 2013-14.
Was so ******* patronizing.
F*** Mick and f*** Brad too

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody hell I had that exact Sea-Monkeys ad in a comic.

Was a traumatic day as a young kid when I reconciled the brine shrimp we fed the fish from time to time were one and the same.

This is the one that broke the hearts of most young lads though...

1652938540296.png

probably wouldn't take the Q&A as seriously as we would like.

Internal expectations are clear on the playing group and the coaches have shown they've been let down by a lot of what's happened.

TBH the leadership group need to step up. Coaches can only do so much to place expectations. Our captain has to drive that.
I think the Q&As have been very good. How else do we learn things like we don't need KPD depth cause we have Matty Mc?

Seriously though, it's a great initiative by the club and offers way more than the usual media outlets.

They can't talk to every question, and in fairness, our collective questions are really just angry statements anyway.

I think the Q&As have been very good. How else do we learn things like we don't need KPD depth cause we have Matty Mc?

Seriously though, it's a great initiative by the club and offers way more than the usual media outlets.

They can't talk to every question, and in fairness, our collective questions are really just angry statements anyway.
Agree, but how about they tackle at least one of the biggies.

Really disappointed in the selection policy this year. Yesterday proved it again with three players 22 and under getting dropped.

Your baseload competiveness always comes from your senior players and we're not competitive. Simple as that. Walker, Turner, Ziebell and Greenwood regardless of how willing they are - they're having zero impact on games.

Little value in dropping younger players regularly because that's where the improvement lies. It doesn't lie in your senior bunch. Certainly not ours.

The sooner the Coach puts the acid on the next group of emerging leaders - the better it will be for the Club.

All he is doing is delaying our development and allowing the younger guys to avoid responsibility.

Agree, but how about they tackle at least one of the biggies.
Let's see, no doubt they would be aware of the major queries. They answered the lack of KPDs last time, which was a major query, we just didn't like the answer.

Would like to have that one revisited in this Q&A, particularly why McGuinness isn't playing if he is the future hope as claimed.

Personally, I would like to hear why we cut so hard (which one would assume is to get more kids in) and how they intend to resolve this. Although none were superstars, I'm sure Sam Durdin, Dumont, and perhaps even Daw would be useful at the moment. Even if it was just to support the kids learning in the VFL.

Really disappointed in the selection policy this year. Yesterday proved it again with three players 22 and under getting dropped.

Your baseload competiveness always comes from your senior players and we're not competitive. Simple as that. Walker, Turner, Ziebell and Greenwood regardless of how willing they are - they're having zero impact on games.

Little value in dropping younger players regularly because that's where the improvement lies. It doesn't lie in your senior bunch. Certainly not ours.

The sooner the Coach puts the acid on the next group of emerging leaders - the better it will be for the Club.

All he is doing is delaying our development and allowing the younger guys to avoid responsibility.
That's a very simplistic view mate.

Let's look at players 22 and under who have actually been dropped (omitted on the team sheet)

Atu - he's been given a go but is a fair way off what is required. I don't have any issue with him going back to the VFL to work on aspects of his game.

CCJ - has been OK but so has X and X is now fit. I'm sure the match committee is looking to the future and looking to assess our best big men going forward. Ideally I'd like to see how CCJ and X go in tandem but coming up against the Gawn/Jackson combo this week probably isn't the best time to try that.

So only two 22 and under players dropped and both reasonable decisions. Your post smacks of just wanting to whack the coach.

There is something I simply do not understand.

We seem to have this all out push for flexibility. It is what is seeing LDU pushed forward for stints longer than required. It is what is seeing Taylor play almost exclusively on a wing when his best footy (IMO) has been played on the HFF. It is what is seeing Stephenson have CBAs or have him be relatively hot on a wing only for him to be moved forward. Its playing rucks forward.

It appears from the outside to be flexibility for the sake of it. It is under the banner of long term planning. DO people think Cunners would be the player we love if Scott had consistently pushed him to a wing? How long did we lament that Dish was mr fixt it and pushed all over the place. I will concede though that there have been moves dictated by lack of depth (whole other issue not getting into in this post).

THis push for flexibility makes me recall Marc Murphy.

Under Bolton, Murphy was pushed into the forward line and Bolton racked up a lot of losses and was steadfast in the position of planning for the future where Murphy would not be at the club and so in an effort to get others take the mantle. Losses mounted and Bolton was sacked. Teague arrives and one of the very first moves he makes? Murphy into the midfield, even if for only periods of the game. Automatically the side looks better.

Now we can come out and say that we are out to win games of footy, but we are simply not. We are experimenting all over the place to see if we can find combinations that work in an unorthodox fashion. Also we are not making changes week to week but quarter to quarter, half to half.

It takes never letting them know your next move to another level when thinking that they are doing it with a professional football side.

I believe we would look better very rapidly if we toned down the masses of movement we make every week.

Last edited:
There is something I simply do not understand.

We seem to have this all out push for flexibility. It is what is seeing LDU pushed forward for stints longer than required. It is what is seeing Taylor play almost exclusively on a wing when his best footy (IMO) has been played on the HFF. It is what is seeing Stephenson have CBAs or have him be relatively hot on a wing only for him to be moved forward. Its playing rucks forward.

It appears from the outside to be flexibility for the sake of it. It is under the banner of long term planning. DO people think Cunners would be the player we love if Scott had consistently pushed him to a wing? How long did we lament that Dish was mr fixt it and pushed all over the place. I will concede though that there have been moves dictated by lack of depth (whole other issue not getting into in this post).

THis push for flexibility makes me recall Marc Murphy.

Under Bolton, Murphy was pushed into the forward line and Bolton racked up a lot of losses and was steadfast in the position of planning for the future where Murphy would not be at the club and so in an effort to get others take the mantle. Losses mounted and Bolton was sacked. Teague arrives and one of the very first moves he makes? Murphy into the midfield, even if for only periods of the game. Automatically the side looks better.

Now we can come out and say that we are out to win games of footy, but we are simply not. We are experimenting all over the place to see if we can find combinations that work in an unorthodox fashion. Also we are not making changes week to week but quarter to quarter, half to half.

It takes never letting them know your next move to another level when thinking that they are doing it with a professional football side.

I believe we would look batter very rapidly if we toned down the masses of movement we make every week.
On top of that, we actually don't rotate as many players through the middle as the coaching staff claim. It's bizarre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back