Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointed in the selection policy this year. Yesterday proved it again with three players 22 and under getting dropped.

Your baseload competiveness always comes from your senior players and we're not competitive. Simple as that. Walker, Turner, Ziebell and Greenwood regardless of how willing they are - they're having zero impact on games.

Little value in dropping younger players regularly because that's where the improvement lies. It doesn't lie in your senior bunch. Certainly not ours.

The sooner the Coach puts the acid on the next group of emerging leaders - the better it will be for the Club.

All he is doing is delaying our development and allowing the younger guys to avoid responsibility.

All when and good to drop all these players but who can come in to replace them? The cupboard is bare and utterly s**t.

We are a shitshow atm

Thought he was supposed to have gotten the arse by now? Weren't there some very clued in posters telling us he wouldn't survive the week?
and powell was getting dropped and blah blah blah

There is something I simply do not understand.

We seem to have this all out push for flexibility. It is what is seeing LDU pushed forward for stints longer than required. It is what is seeing Taylor play almost exclusively on a wing when his best footy (IMO) has been played on the HFF. It is what is seeing Stephenson have CBAs or have him be relatively hot on a wing only for him to be moved forward. Its playing rucks forward.

It appears from the outside to be flexibility for the sake of it. It is under the banner of long term planning. DO people think Cunners would be the player we love if Scott had consistently pushed him to a wing? How long did we lament that Dish was mr fixt it and pushed all over the place. I will concede though that there have been moves dictated by lack of depth (whole other issue not getting into in this post).

THis push for flexibility makes me recall Marc Murphy.

Under Bolton, Murphy was pushed into the forward line and Bolton racked up a lot of losses and was steadfast in the position of planning for the future where Murphy would not be at the club and so in an effort to get others take the mantle. Losses mounted and Bolton was sacked. Teague arrives and one of the very first moves he makes? Murphy into the midfield, even if for only periods of the game. Automatically the side looks better.

Now we can come out and say that we are out to win games of footy, but we are simply not. We are experimenting all over the place to see if we can find combinations that work in an unorthodox fashion. Also we are not making changes week to week but quarter to quarter, half to half.

It takes never letting them know your next move to another level when thinking that they are doing it with a professional football side.

I believe we would look batter very rapidly if we toned down the masses of movement we make every week.

Great post. It’s the exact same mistake that we’ve seen in the past.

With our talent level we can’t afford to play our leaders out of position. It’s not a luxury we have compared to a more competitive side.

Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell, and Luke McDonald are our senior leaders, and all have spent the majority of 2022 out of their best position. Kayne Turner is also a senior leader who has been moved around the ground.

Thomas and Davies-Uniacke should be emerging leaders, yet they’re being moved around the ground and struggling to have consistent four quarter impacts. Stephenson is a weapon, yet Noble can’t work out where to play him and so drops him to the VFL.

You need a foundation to build the side around, and apart from Simpkin, Larkey, McKay, and perhaps Zurhaar we aren’t setting up our best players for success. The players who are getting consistency are the young developing players like Scott, Young, Mahony, Xerri, Perez and Taylor and that’s often been at the detriment to our senior core.

Last edited:
With our talent level we can’t afford to play our leaders out of position. It’s not a luxury we have compared to a more competitive side.

Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell, and Luke McDonald are our senior leaders, and all have spent the majority of 2022 out of their best position. Kayne Turner is also a senior leader who has been moved around the ground.

Thomas and Davies-Uniacke should be emerging leaders, yet they’re being moved around the ground and struggling to have consistent four quarter impacts. Stephenson is a weapon, yet Noble can’t work out where to play him and so drops him to the VFL.

You need a foundation to build the side around, and apart from Simpkin, Larkey, McKay, and perhaps Zurhaar we aren’t setting up our best players for success. The players who are getting consistency are the young developing players like Scott, Young, Mahony, Xerri, Perez and Taylor and that’s often been at the detriment to our senior core.
I don't have an issue with the crux of your argument but I will say:

• Goldy, fair - the argument is probably whether he should be in / on the list full stop if we aren't playing him in the ruck
  • What is Jack Ziebell's best position?
  • What is Luke McDonald's best position?
  • What is Kayne Turner's best position?

I don't have an issue with the crux of your argument but I will say:

• Goldy, fair - the argument is probably whether he should be in / on the list full stop if we aren't playing him in the ruck
  • What is Jack Ziebell's best position?
  • What is Luke McDonald's best position?
  • What is Kayne Turner's best position?

Ideally Goldstein would be in the VFL letting CCJ and Xerri develop, but as mentioned we need all the senior support that we can get meaning that he has to play in the ruck.

Ziebell is either Midfield or Backline. There’s been a couple of games this year where we could have used his experience in the middle, but at the very least he could given us more down back than Atu, Hayden, Young etc. He has a lot of flaws to play both roles, but he is still more capable there than he is up forward. His last five weeks have been very poor. His form down back was contentious, but at least he had an influence each week.

McDonald is at his best down back. We saw it in 2020 under Shaw and we’ve seen glimpses this year. His round one game against Hawthorn was immense, while his games on the wing have been forgettable.

I really don’t know with Kayne Turner. He has had some good moments up forward and down back this year, but also a lot of bad moments. There’s an interesting question over why he has been thrown forward and back, while a similar developing player with the same versatility (Atu) has been given stability.

Thought he was supposed to have gotten the arse by now? Weren't there some very clued in posters telling us he wouldn't survive the week?
No chance he gets the arse before the bye - was never going to happen.

However at the bye and every week after the bye that we look insipid, lack a gameplan and therefore get thrashed then the odds increase.

Certain games like GWS, *, Pies, GC will all be key games to gauge how far off the cliff Nobes and this team have fallen. Thrashings in these games and that will be all she wrote for Nobes toward or at year end.

Ideally Goldstein would be in the VFL letting CCJ and Xerri develop, but as mentioned we need all the senior support that we can get meaning that he has to play in the ruck.

Ziebell is either Midfield or Backline. There’s been a couple of games this year where we could have used his experience in the middle, but at the very least he could given us more down back than Atu, Hayden, Young etc. He has a lot of flaws to play both roles, but he is still more capable there than he is up forward. His last five weeks have been very poor. His form down back was contentious, but at least he had an influence each week.

McDonald is at his best down back. We saw it in 2020 under Shaw and we’ve seen glimpses this year. His round one game against Hawthorn was immense, while his games on the wing have been forgettable.

I really don’t know with Kayne Turner. He has had some good moments up forward and down back this year, but also a lot of bad moments. There’s an interesting question over why he has been thrown forward and back, while a similar developing player with the same versatility (Atu) has been given stability.
JZ - Nope. He doesn't have a best position anymore. He would get destroyed in the midfield.

McDonald - Yep. Best position is intercepting defender / tagging role.

Turner - He doesn't really have a best position either.

My recollection of McDonald in 2020 is that he played a lot of tagging roles on midfielder/wingers. After getting his confidence up in that role he then started to accumulate his own ball. The matches were significantly shorter in length which may have benefited his endurance base.

Well a quarter still to play and it's the most I've enjoyed our footy this season. A nearly game in so many ways.
The guys have clearly gotten behind Noble and regardless of the final result. I think we all saw some light at the end of this ******* tunnel.

We still have a lot of work to do of course. But yeah we want to run and gun and play through the guts, it's nearly worked many times tonight. Well coached Nobes.

Hope we can play out the game, the guys deserve it.

Were is the balance in his plans. We have gone full throttle down the corridor getting decimated on turn overs. Now we chip it in the defensive 50 and go down the wing just to not be disgraced. I fear noble is coaching for his job now rather then for the club.

Last edited:
Really, really, really like how he said he’d be making a phone call for the Tarryn Thomas and ‘a few other ones’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was clearly frustrated over the umpiring and I don’t blame him tbh
Everyone in the stadium that was in blue and white was frustrated with the umpiring LOL

There was a lot of make it up as you go from the clowns in yellow.

I thought Eleni might actually ask for Tom McDonalds phone number at one stage she was so in love with him.

Was clearly frustrated over the umpiring and I don’t blame him tbh
Quite clear the players tried to adjust to their adjudication. Didn't tackle as hard, tried to just make sure they weren't 'infringing' as much.

******* embarrassing on the AFL. We're alienating the hardness out of the game.

Quite clear the players tried to adjust to their adjudication. Didn't tackle as hard, tried to just make sure they weren't 'infringing' as much.

******* embarrassing on the AFL. We're alienating the hardness out of the game.
They are pretty close to alienating contact out of the game, let alone hardness.

There's no new information, they're running with the same (non-) story.
Let the poor man live his fantasy of breaking ready known news before the news hahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back