News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

I really enjoyed the weekend down there for the Swans game this year, my second trip, the first I enjoyed more, the smashing of the crows. But its a nice weekend away and I dont mind it if I can get the $40 flights... Even stepped out of the airbnb on the saturday morning and ran into a few players in the cafe which was cool.

Ideal situation is we win a few flags (both men's and women's in the next five to ten years).

That gives us another generation of kids coming through a la the 90s supporting North - lots of exposure in the media and good timeslots.

By then Tassie have got their act together and the AFL is ready for another round of expansion and/or one of the current expansion teams has hit the wall.

The Tassie team comes in, North goes back to playing all its home games in Melbourne.

Further upgrades to Arden St mean the VFL and AFLW play money-spinning home games out of there, and we play one or two AFLM home game games against the smaller interstate clubs there too - "premium members" games, where you basically pay an extra say $50 to attend and it goes straight to the club.

Ideal situation is we win a few flags (both men's and women's in the next five to ten years).

That gives us another generation of kids coming through a la the 90s supporting North - lots of exposure in the media and good timeslots.

By then Tassie have got their act together and the AFL is ready for another round of expansion and/or one of the current expansion teams has hit the wall.

The Tassie team comes in, North goes back to playing all its home games in Melbourne.

Further upgrades to Arden St mean the VFL and AFLW play money-spinning home games out of there, and we play one or two AFLM home game games against the smaller interstate clubs there too - "premium members" games, where you basically pay an extra say $50 to attend and it goes straight to the club.

Where do I sign?

Was just at Arden St this morning. This idea is so completely delusional. I would give more chance to Fitzroy getting a license back and playing AFL games at Brunswick St.

Well put it this Tasmania is the 4th best football state behind Victoria SA and WA but to the AFL and Media Broadcaster they are last.
Atm you less then 10k at Hobart and they want an AFL side no chance.
As a club we receive $2 Million over 4 games and Hawthorn receive $3 Million a season and with both clubs supporters and interstate supporters going over there to support and spending $$$ the Tasmanian Government are doing ok and making the $$$ back + more why rock the boat.
If the Tasmanian Government want either club to get Scumwood Richmond or red and black drug club to play in either Hobart or Launsensten then fork over more $$$ and be happy at what your getting don't poke the bear.

So did i hear right start of the season saying this ground is our fortress and we don't lose there? 2 losses in a row there playing there again in 3 weeks. Who is the genius to sell 4 games there
Spot On. We have some dead set Bright Sparks running our Club. :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just at Arden St this morning. This idea is so completely delusional. I would give more chance to Fitzroy getting a license back and playing AFL games at Brunswick St.

Yeah, it's why I said FURTHER UPGRADES

With Fitzroy's imminent return, why wouldn't we allow them to play some home games at Arden St for say 400K each?

Yeah, it's why I said FURTHER UPGRADES

You would need to knock down all the existing buildings and then you would need to reduce the size of the oval substantially and you would have to somehow convince all the local residents and the council that fencing off their only green space, cutting down the trees, and creating traffic nightmares in their residential streets is in their interests. Never going to happen. Jog on.

Crowd today was 7900,all three crowds in Hobart that have had under 10000 have been against GWS,it's no surprise though,this game can't get a crowd anywhere.

The feel around Hobart on gameday is good. You see a lot supporters in their guernseys eating at cafes around the city throughout the day.
  • Positive i think is the growing support. A huge amount of kids (%wise double what you would see at a Melbourne game) were there, most wearing the royal blue and white. Much much less GWS fans than the last time we played them at BA.
  • Still no car park at the stadium unfortunately. We had to park up in the side streets a walk away. No idea how it works when (if) there are sell out games.
  • Bastards are still charging 50c for sauce! Food is also meh.
  • We went to Dark Mofo afterward - a bit overpriced but awesome theme
  • Was on the same delayed flight back as the team. We were stuck in the boarding area until 10:15pm.
  • Ben Brown not in sight. I believe he usually does his own thing up there away from the team and takes his own flight back.
  • Darren Crocker sitting there on his lonesome analyzing the game for 3 hours.
  • Unlike many other games this year I didn't leave with a disappointed feeling after the game this time around.

I moved the conversation away from the Tarryn thread.

Just FWIW, I interviewed Brett Geeves on the issue of the Tassie team.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podca...t-geeves-s04ep03/id1034312748?i=1000407669518

That was a good interview with Geeva Kangaroos4eva, he's a great bloke to sit around and have a chat with :thumbsu:

They'd need a $50 million a year up front guaranteed for a decade to be any chance of it happening, and that's before factoring the North-South divide.

They also have bugger all market growth potential.

I can't see any rational basis for the AFL backing this up. They'd be manufacturing an eternal basket-case.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you Snake_Baker, except $50 million could be on the light side. There are areas as an example, where the ground/grounds are involved, that COULD soak up a heap of cash before they get close to getting on the park.

My point re TT is that certain people at AFL Tas and other involved parties, believe guys like him, Chayce, Hugh and others that will be drafted over the next few years, will be priority signings (read that as AFL Entitlement players) for an AFL Tasmania team, something I don't believe is the right thing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back