News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL are scared of Jeff Kennett. He does what he wants down there and couldn't give a **** about Gil's plans. He'll have Hawthorn signed up for another 5 years before you know it.
And isn't it Sad that without Kennett that in all likelihood Brayshaws would've had us playing 7 home games on the Map years back. :stern look

Did anyone else just hear the last item on On the Couch was that the AFLs preferred option is North to play 7 home games in Tassie by 2022?

Yeah, it is also my preferred choice to drive around in a $3.4m Aston Martin Vulcan crammed with supermodels but what we prefer and what we get are often worlds apart.

I’d be happy with this:

Permanently based at Arden St
11 home games in Melb
7 away games in Tas and do whatever you want with the rest.

The proposal is:

12 games in Melb
7 games in Tas
3 games interstate

Plus all the coin that comes from the Tassie deals and state wide access to ALL Tassie kids.

The proposal is:

12 games in Melb
7 games in Tas
3 games interstate

Plus all the coin that comes from the Tassie deals and state wide access to ALL Tassie kids.
If you think this is how it will play out beyond a five year period you are kidding yourself Snake. Move to 7 home games and it is the beginning of the end for North Melbourne.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The proposal is:

12 games in Melb
7 games in Tas
3 games interstate

I know what it is and it’s a shite deal.

They banked us on being crap and if I had to guess I’d say this has come out to stop us attracting FA’s, FS, sponsors, members etc.

They should be on the front foot tomorrow and tell them to GAGF.

If you think this is how it will play out beyond a five year period you are kidding yourself Snake. Move to 7 home games and it is the beginning of the end for North Melbourne.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’re right. Brisbane were promised 6 games in Melbourne and the AFL continues to screw us over on a yearly basis with games in Tasmania and Geelong.

Between 2004 and 2012 the AFL failed to honour our agreement 6 times.

In 2013 we only played 4 games in Melbourne, having to play in Darwin and Tasmania instead. GWS were given more games than us.

They will say anything to get their way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have to be strong here. This was always coming to ahead when the AFL previously said they wanted the “one team model”. We have to fight them like hell. Fortunately we have Jeff Kennet on our side as the hawks can smell their pokies money drying up, they don’t want to lose tassie too.

Hopefully we negotiate directly with the tassie govt

I know what it is and it’s a shite deal.

They banked us on being crap and if I had to guess I’d say this has come out to stop us attracting FA’s, FS, sponsors, members etc.

They should be on the front foot tomorrow and tell them to GAGF.

The ONLY reason we are in the spotlight, is because we as a club have entertained that fantasy, well, JB definitely entertained that fantasy. Our club put out a statement a while ago that we weren't interested in expanding our commitment beyond what we have in place already. I have no reason to believe Carl or Ben are lying to us.

I find it hard to believe that the state government and local council would have given us two bits without us agreeing to remain a Melbourne club long-term, similarly they have approved the $10m redevelopment for our AFLW team and we have lodged a significant bid for the $7b Arden redevelopment with the state government. There is no way on earth they would have given us s**t without requiring a long-term commitment, as dumb as politicians come across, they are sticklers for detail when it comes to giving away taxpayer money, they might piss it up against the wall, but they don't do idiotic s**t like gives tens of millions of dollars to a non-profit organisation who is a flight risk without confiscating the passport.

I think there have been a lot of political games afoot, but I can't pin down what the real agenda is. I don't think the AFL commission likes Jeff Kennett and they probably hold a grudge because he torpedoed JB's co-location deal which had the AFL stamp of approval. However, the current environment is a night and day difference to what we faced back then. There are just no outside pressures to take that deal. It is a s**t deal for Melbourne members who want to go to games and they can't convince anyone who gets dicked around with replacement games currently that they are not going to cop a colossal dick by the AFL if this shithouse plan sees the light of day.

If they grant Tasmania a licence, Hawthorn has far more to lose financially than we do, we will lose $500k for 3 games? The new stadium deal would see us recoup most if not all of that, especially when they force us to play better drawing clubs down there while we get Port in Melbourne. Hawks get a mountain of cash for naming rights that nobody refers to them as the Tasmanian Hawks and the indignity of having to pay them more money when they win a premiership. I'm not sure what incriminating evidence Jeff had on the previous Tasmanian government, but he fleeced them hard.

I don't think we can trust the AFL anymore than we could trust the AFL during the Fitzroy merger or the AFL during the gold coast relocation. Something else must be afoot and I don't think we are the intended beneficiary.

Why is it always us and not one of Carlton, st Kilda or Melbourne? Those 3 have been far worse than us in the last 5-10 years (apart from the saints at the end of the last decade of course)

Because we have entertained it in the past and we have a stronger partnership with Tasmania than any other club including Hawthorn. We always envisaged supporting the entire state while Hawthorn only ever wanted to service Launceston so the AFL see Hawthorn as limiting in terms of building Tasmania up as a united front.

I can understand the AFL's desire, it makes sense on many levels, however, it is just not desirable if you love the club and love to go and see the club play every week, love going down to Arden Street. We have seen what is possible with the Werribee development, it should be the blueprint for other growth regions, our focus is too divided atm.

The perks of the Tasmanian academy is appealing, but imo I think the academy system will be scrapped at some point, once there is a bumper crop somewhere for 3-5 years it is going to create such a lopsided distribution of talent that the AFL will be forced to scrap it, it works against the whole draft principle. We can and should fleece the current academy system in Tasmania for all it is worth, but people shouldn't be banking on it existing long-term.

Rhyan Mansell in action against the Sydney Swans.

31479106_188339625148099_8256037125670043648_n.jpg

Here we go again. Has been the AFL plan for years now, why do you think they allowed a North Melbourne women team and gave us academy from tassie

I’d be happy with this:

11 home games in Melb
7 away games in Tas and do whatever you want with the rest.

Yes if the AFL want to do this, I'd be comfortable. The one proviso is that the 11 home games in Melbourne are genuine home games where we get to sit in our reserved seats.

They promised similar stuff to Lions supporters.

It'll last as long as it takes to print the next fixture.

I'm staggered everyone thinks this would be a deal that would stay in place. They've been shown to welch so many times before.

Agree. The motives of the afl are so obvious that I’m shocked anyone here would even contemplate a few that saw us as the only tassie team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back