No AFL team for Tasmania, league boss Gillon McLachlan announces

Remove this Banner Ad

More because it’s a large event...

I’m not even against a tas side. So I’m not sure why my team of support vs tas is relevant. Unless you’re advocating to remove Melbourne for Tasmania?

It's called a "deflection"

When certain people can't address uncomfortable truths they turn the subject back on the questioner via an unrelated issue as a means to find an emotional high ground where a logically relative high ground cannot be attained.

It's a cheap stunt utilised by poor intellects..

Im saying carlton fans have done it - you say you and the other vic minnow fans are worth soooo much to the tv rights deal - im saying prove it. Next time you are broke - lets see the fans pull you out of the s**t like carlton AND collingwood fans did.

You asked me if it just meant vic clubs - i clarified.

Are you simple?
Ah good old kranky. Back to insults.

You left qld and nsw off your list. It’s a fair question.

I’m glad you’re not running the afl. We would have no clubs left and would be breaching the tv rights contract constantly

Maybe amazon will buy tassie a team when they create their new league

It makes me laugh when people go on about how much more exciting Melbourne is - when most people don't even do 1% of all the things they would list as superior attractions. Most people stick to their routines and spend most of their time at home or within half an hour of their home. Melbourne's traffic makes most of its attractions unreachable unless you are happy to spend hours in traffic to get to them. People can label a place like Hobart boring, but it's like using Champion Data to prove a point - it means nothing if Melbourne has 10,000 great attractions if you don't get to them. Hobart has attractions too - but you can actually get to them with no trouble. Traffic and overcrowding is not a problem there. It makes it a better city for participation because people aren't just sitting at home thinking about how hard it is to get to everything like it Melbourne. Sure, there are some great things in Melbourne that Hobart can't beat: Zoos, Sporting events, Rock Concerts etc. But you can still go to those things if you plan a trip for them. The rest of the year, you can do more on a daily basis because you aren't frustrated with traffic - which ultimately reduces what you do. There's enough going on in Hobart to have an interesting life. Melbourne drinks its own bathwater with its "most liveable city" crap. It aint all that. In fact, I'm leaving and moving to Hobart soon...

Where will you be living? Do you have family here?

If you want a pub (;)), try the New Sydney Irish style pub, (Inner city) & the Talbot sports pub (Newtown) & the Republic, 'alternative' & entertainment stuff, (North Hobart) Love 'em :) Or anywhere around the waterfront area.

If you want a pub (;)), try the New Sydney Irish style pub, (Inner city) & the Talbot sports pub (Newtown) & the Republic, 'alternative' & entertainment stuff, (North Hobart) Love 'em :) Or anywhere around the waterfront area.
Plenty of places to get off chops.

Hey mate, we bought a house in Lindisfarne. There isn't too much in Lindisfarne itself, so it will be a matter of gradually exploring outwards from where we are. We don't have family here, we've been coming here for a while and love the smaller feel and fresh air and sunshine. I've got too frustrated with Melbourne - it's just not the place for me anymore. Been here for 30 years and it's changed a lot. Too big and crowded for me now. I was at my happiest when I lived in Graz, Austria: population around 250,000. That's about the right size of town for me. We have no jobs yet. We're taking a risk, just giving it a go... Maybe we'll catch up at Blundstone sometime, hey?

Interesting and quite violent change of tack from Jeff, who was previously seen as a supporter of a long-term vision for a Tassie team

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has told Tasmanian football to back the Hawks or the AFL club will cut ties with the state.

The Hawks have played home games in Launceston since 2001, but describes Labor leader Bill Shorten’s federal election promise to commit $25 million towards Tasmania having its own team as “crass intervention”.

Kennett believes a Tasmanian club becoming the 19th team in the AFL is not “feasible for scheduling or to attract sufficient players of high enough standard to be competitive.”

So there’s the true view of the Hawks. And it’s a bizarre statement, it’s hardly going to curry favour in Tassie. I wonder how many neutrals will now rush out to buy Hawks Launceston memberships?

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2018-07-11/letter-to-members-tasmania

I chopped out all the crap and addressed the only point that matters. BULLSHIT! [Weak. The fact you are unable to counter any of the MANY pro Tas. AFL Club strong arguments clearly proves your views have no credibility]
Where's the money? Where's the long term planning?[Weak. The AFL never rejected the usual self-funded Financial model -which has been independently assessed- proposed by the Tas. Govt, & the many sponsors, including Mars. Plus 2 SUPERB clean stadium deals in Tas. -a state of AF fanatics. ].
Generic parochial political drivel = NOUGHT[Weak. Federal LNP -including PM Turnbull, & Federal ALP -including Opp. Leader Shorten, are now, for the first time, providing strong public support for a Tas. AFL Club. Federal ALP are offering initial funding of $30,000,000. Fed. elections now often have hung Lower House, every marginal seat is crucial -Tas. has several. Tas. also has 12 Senators, & neither LNP nor ALP will ever get a Senate majority. Tasmanians NOW need to start playing "dirty" politics to ensure they have a team after 2028]

Last edited:
Hey mate, we bought a house in Lindisfarne. There isn't too much in Lindisfarne itself, so it will be a matter of gradually exploring outwards from where we are. We don't have family here, we've been coming here for a while and love the smaller feel and fresh air and sunshine. I've got too frustrated with Melbourne - it's just not the place for me anymore. Been here for 30 years and it's changed a lot. Too big and crowded for me now. I was at my happiest when I lived in Graz, Austria: population around 250,000. That's about the right size of town for me. We have no jobs yet. We're taking a risk, just giving it a go... Maybe we'll catch up at Blundstone sometime, hey?

I don't go to Blundstone much its a pain to get in & out of the area, which explains why a lot of people won't go to things their. Great ground for cricket, good for footy, shyte access. IMO;)
Otherwise, Lindisfarne is a lovely little burb, generally great mountain & river views. Real nice walks along the river. Cute little shopping area, easy to get the city or Eastlands shopping in Rosny.
Good luck. Just talk a little slower & you'll be ok. :)

Ah good old kranky. Back to insults.

You left qld and nsw off your list. It’s a fair question.

I’m glad you’re not running the afl. We would have no clubs left and would be breaching the tv rights contract constantly

Maybe amazon will buy tassie a team when they create their new league
Its not a fair question

Its so *ing obvious as to why that noone would seriously ask if not deflecting or legitimately absolutely unaware of the fact that they are non footy states and as such will need decades of support to remain viable

Where do you fit?

Kennett believes a Tasmanian club becoming the 19th team in the AFL is not feasible.....to attract sufficient players of high enough standard to be competitive.”

I really don't understand Kennett's line of argument (along with the dilution of quality argument). A Tasmanian club will not have a list made up of purely Tasmanian footballers. There's the draft and free agency and as such they'll have players from all over Australia. What they will need is the ability to attract free agents and so initially, a salary cap bonus will be required.

From a fixturing point of view, it seems most sensible to introduce a 19th and 20th team at the same time.

Its not a fair question

Its so ruddy obvious as to why that noone would seriously ask if not deflecting or legitimately absolutely unaware of the fact that they are non footy states and as such will need decades of support to remain viable

Where do you fit?
So SOME clubs can have as much handouts as they want based on your criteria

Others should have to find their own money regardless of situation.

Don’t get pissy because you started out with your s**t “no handouts for Vic’s” then tried to claim it was “oh I didn’t mean just Vic’s. I meant all football states. How did you not get that when i was saying ‘no Vic handouts’ I really meant other states too?”

It’s weird that you have such an issue with handouts and blame Victoria for no Tasmanian team. But are okay with handouts to “non football states”. Isn’t that worse?

I really don't understand Kennett's line of argument (along with the dilution of quality argument). A Tasmanian club will not have a list made up of purely Tasmanian footballers. There's the draft and free agency and as such they'll have players from all over Australia. What they will need is the ability to attract free agents and so initially, a salary cap bonus will be required.

From a fixturing point of view, it seems most sensible to introduce a 19th and 20th team at the same time.
I think it is a stupid argument by Kennett.

Club culture has more to do than location. Gold Coast, despite all of its attractions and its growth as a city, keeps losing AFL players. A successful team will seem a lot closer to the mainland than a struggling team.

Sure, we might lose some players to the other locations but that happens everywhere. Our cricket team is a prime example. Yes, we lost Cowan and Feks in the last couple odd years at the tail end of their careers but others we have recruited have stayed in the state after their playing careers and now see Tassie as home. We also brought people back home to raise a family(Wade) and continue to bring in young talent from other parts of Australia.

Tasmania's biggest issue is jobs and career progression. An AFL player has a job and if Tas have a good culture, they will have a good career.

You'll have to tidy that up if you expect me to address it.

Interesting and quite violent change of tack from Jeff, who was previously seen as a supporter of a long-term vision for a Tassie team

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has told Tasmanian football to back the Hawks or the AFL club will cut ties with the state.

The Hawks have played home games in Launceston since 2001, but describes Labor leader Bill Shorten’s federal election promise to commit $25 million towards Tasmania having its own team as “crass intervention”.

Kennett believes a Tasmanian club becoming the 19th team in the AFL is not “feasible for scheduling or to attract sufficient players of high enough standard to be competitive.”

So there’s the true view of the Hawks. And it’s a bizarre statement, it’s hardly going to curry favour in Tassie. I wonder how many neutrals will now rush out to buy Hawks Launceston memberships?

Maybe he knows the writing's on the wall for the Hawks and he's throwing the toys out of the cot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So SOME clubs can have as much handouts as they want based on your criteria

Others should have to find their own money regardless of situation.

Don’t get pissy because you started out with your s**t “no handouts for Vic’s” then tried to claim it was “oh I didn’t mean just Vic’s. I meant all football states. How did you not get that when i was saying ‘no Vic handouts’ I really meant other states too?”

It’s weird that you have such an issue with handouts and blame Victoria for no Tasmanian team. But are okay with handouts to “non football states”. Isn’t that worse?
You are just arguing for the sake of arguing here.

Footy foundation states shouldnt need help - non footy states we are trying to crack do.

The reason i didnt include the eagles and the dockers i would gave felt was self evident - both clubs are money magnets and will never go broke.

The fact that you have to nitpick like this shows the real issues are something you assiduously avoid at all costs.

God forbid i should make a spelling mistake or a grammatical error - you would be all over that like rolf harris at a girl guides meeting.

You are just arguing for the sake of arguing here.

Footy foundation states shouldnt need help - non footy states we are trying to crack do.

The reason i didnt include the eagles and the dockers i would gave felt was self evident - both clubs are money magnets and will never go broke.

The fact that you have to nitpick like this shows the real issues are something you assiduously avoid at all costs.

God forbid i should make a spelling mistake or a grammatical error - you would be all over that like rolf harris at a girl guides meeting.
No I’m pointing out your Victorian obsession.

You clearly made a specification, then when questioned said you meant something else. That’s not nitpicking. It’s showing that there is no point discussing a topic with you because you have an overly emotional bias view.

It’s been pointed out by plenty of people.

No I’m pointing out your Victorian obsession.

You clearly made a specification, then when questioned said you meant something else. That’s not nitpicking. It’s showing that there is no point discussing a topic with you because you have an overly emotional bias view.

It’s been pointed out by plenty of people.
Too many clubs in one city.

It's pathological amongst a significant element of the state.
Yeah starting to see that. There’s a select few who seem to bring up Victoria in every thread.

As I told him before, if you hate the league and a large portion of it so much, and think it’s a rigged competition, go follow local footy.

Its said that one should not get between a politician & a pot of money. Jeff is still the politician & he's dirtying right up over 'his' pot of money in Tasmania. Once stirred its easy to see his real nature & attitude.

I'm glad he's getting shitty. It brings more attention to this pathetic situation of two FIFO clubs just here for money.

Good riddance Jeff. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out matey. ;)

What young male on 300k plus would want to spend his best years in Tasmania flying in and out each week to play footy. It's freezing, it's boring and you'll get no side deals with Footy shows, brands etc because your in a small market.

Let's be real as soon as these blokes got any good they would be asking for a trade.

Imagine moving from Melbourne Perth to then live in Tasmania not many could do it successfully.

Perth lol

I would prefer to live in Hobart than live in Perth

Yeah starting to see that. There’s a select few who seem to bring up Victoria in every thread.

As I told him before, if you hate the league and a large portion of it so much, and think it’s a rigged competition, go follow local footy.

They live for it, football, G.S.T. etc., they are the most crucified wealthy people on the planet.

I have to give credit to the South Australians though, most of them have evolved beyond small town parochialism.

Too many clubs in one city.

....and of course, a broad minded cosmopolitan person, such as yourself, would be an authority on such matters.

You just take care of the desert and we'll look after civilisation.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back