No AFL team for Tasmania, league boss Gillon McLachlan announces

Remove this Banner Ad

....and of course, a broad minded cosmopolitan person, such as yourself, would be an authority on such matters.

You just take care of the desert and we'll look after civilisation.:thumbsu:
If I could buy victoria for what its worth and sell it for what you mexicans think its worth, I'd be the richest bloke out.

Freezing cold, no beaches worth a pinch of poop and full of bloody victorians with delusions of adequacy.

“Civilisation”

Somethings changed [YES] to make him change his approach.
Kennett/Hawthorn pretended to be a public supporter of Tas. getting its own team vaguely "sometime in the future" & never publicly repudiated it. IMO, this was to take this issue off the public agenda. Kennett/Hawthorn wanted to appease the Tas. public, & for Hawthorn to not appear to be a carpetbagger on Tas. floundering elite comps. & GR AF.
Today, however, Kennett has changed his tune. He is today publicly "talking down" a Tas. AFL team, & warning against it; because he doesn't want the Tas. Govt.$ & Tas. HFC member $ honeypot to end.

What has changed is the massive public ramping up of Federal bipartisan ALP & LNP political pressure on the AFL that Tas. should have its own team -& the ALP promise of a $30,000,000 Federal grant to assist the establishment of the team, & GR. It is certain this will be a long running political issue -Tas. has marginal Federal Lower House seats, & 12 Federal Senators! The looming Fed. election is predicted to be very close, with a possibility neither the LNP nor the ALP will be able to obtain a majority.

What has also changed is that the AFL can no longer simply fob Tas. off - the collapse in Tas. GR AF is so obvious, so damning on the AFL, that the AFL knows the usual spin of "looking after Tas." would be laughable now. The GR can be expected to get worse, before they get better -male youth regd. team nos are down 22% between 2006-2017: everywhere in Aust. they are growing! The Mercury on 3.7 implied that the AFL, until last week, were not acceding to its requests for details on Tas. male competition playing numbers.

The low number of Drafted Tas. players have reached embarrassing levels for the AFL now.
The AFL, Hawthorn & Nth Melb., who should be promoting the game & not hurting GR AF, can be guaranteed not to highlight the decline of 14 Tas. players drafted in 1986 - to nil in 2016. Note below that two of these in 1986 were from Sandy Bay, which has produced many great players. Sadly, the great Sandy Bay is now defunct - almost a metaphor for Tas. AF.

www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-history

Kennett, in his approx. 1100 word paragraphs pertaining to the Tas. issue only, did NOT say 1 word about the details/causes of the COLLAPSE OF MALE GR AF/ELITE COMP. in Tas. He knows Hawthorn can't defend the indefensible! Kennett/HFC have shamelessly exposed themselves, they have no genuine interest In Tas. AF!

He knows now it is very likely Hawthorn's 17 year lucrative funding by the Tas. Govt. will be soon finish.
He is desperately trying to retain Hawthorn's 4 games in Tas. by arguing very spurious economic reasons that Tas. will suffer financially if Hawthorn depart.

The only thing that Kennett was correct about was that a 19th new AFL Tas. team, alone, is not feasible.
A 20th AFL team is also likely to be necessary, to be introduced simultaneously with a Tas. team. I would prefer a Sth Sydney Canberra combined team, or in northern Australia (perhaps games shared between Cairns, Townsville & Darwin).

In 2016, Tas. State Academy coach A. Sanders said that, since Tas. does not have its own AFL Club, their elite draft prospects do not get "... the insight to AFL players' lives that the academy (northern state AFL Academies -my words) players gets such a good glimpse of".

It's time to give Tas. a fair go. The AFL should soon provide a timeline & financial KPI's for Tas. to have its own AFL Club.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-the-tasmanian-prospects-20160526-gp4vk7.html

Last edited:
If I could buy victoria for what its worth and sell it for what you mexicans think its worth, I'd be the richest bloke out.

Freezing cold, no beaches worth a pinch of poop and full of bloody victorians with delusions of adequacy.

“Civilisation”
I was just looking at the satellite of Greenough, what are there like 25 people there?

Can see why your so Kranky, Al - Chill out, mate- come and visit civilisation.

I was just looking at the satellite of Greenough, what are there like 25 people there?

Can see why your so Kranky, Al - Chill out, mate- come and visit civilisation.
Im in gero - not greenough

See attached pic - red area crayfish can be caught by hand all around there

Attachments

• 0C1AC37B-106D-4B30-AB7A-CA307A063CB1.jpeg
    0C1AC37B-106D-4B30-AB7A-CA307A063CB1.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 103
St georges is better - i should know - i swam there yesterday

Thats near Lorne, 2 hrs from Melbourne!!.

Q How far are the surf beaches from Perth?
A Cottesloe beach, about 20 minutes from Perth CBD':)

Q How for is a surf beach from Hobart?
A Clifton beach, about 30mins from CBD ;) (dont forget your wettie, 4mm will do :))

Thats near Lorne, 2 hrs from Melbourne!!.

Q How far are the surf beaches from Perth?
A Cottesloe beach, about 20 minutes from Perth CBD':)

Q How for is a surf beach from Hobart?
A Clifton beach, about 30mins from CBD ;) (dont forget your wettie, 4mm will do :))
4mm

I dont think so - id need a heated dry suit

Kennett/Hawthorn pretended to be a public supporter of Tas. getting its own team vaguely "sometime in the future" -to take this issue off the public agenda. Kennett/Hawthorn wanted to appease the Tas. public, & for Hawthorn to not appear to be a carpetbagger on Tas. floundering elite comps. & GR AF.
Today, however, Kennett has changed his tune -he is publicly opposing a Tas. AFL team, because he doesn't want the Tas. $ honeypot to end.

What has changed is the massive public ramping up of Federal bipartisan ALP & LNP political pressure on the AFL that Tas. should have its own team -& the ALP promise of a $30,000,000 Federal grant to assist the establishment of the team, & GR. It is certain this will be a long running political issue -Tas. has marginal Federal Lower House seats, & 12 Federal Senators! The looming Fed. election is predicted to be very close, with a strong possibility neither the LNP nor the ALP will be able to obtain a majority.

What has also changed is that the AFL can no longer simply fob Tas. off - the collapse in Tas. GR AF is so obvious, so damning on the AFL, that the AFL knows the usual spin of "looking after Tas." would be laughable now. The GR can be expected to get worse, before they get better -male youth regd. team nos are down 22% between 2006-2017: everywhere in Aust. they are growing! The Mercury on 3.7 implied that the AFL, until last week, were not acceding to its requests for details on Tas. male competition playing numbers.

The low number of Drafted Tas. players have reached embarrassing levels for the AFL now. The AFL, Hawthorn & Nth Melb., who should be promoting the game & not hurting the GR AF, can be guaranteed not to highlight decline from 14 Tas. players drafted in 1986 to nil in 2016.

Kennett, in his approx. 1100 word letter to Hawthorn members about Tas., did not even mention the collapse of GR AF in Tas. -he knows Hawthorn can't defend the indefensible! He knows it is almost certain Hawthorn's lucrative funding by the Tas. Govt. will be finished.
He is desperately trying to retain Hawthorn's 4 games in Tas. by arguing very spurious economic reasons that Tas. will suffer financially if Hawthorn depart.

What is the Tassie deal worth for Hawthorn?

What would they otherwise get for their major sponsorship?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting and quite violent change of tack from Jeff, who was previously seen as a supporter of a long-term vision for a Tassie team

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has told Tasmanian football to back the Hawks or the AFL club will cut ties with the state.

The Hawks have played home games in Launceston since 2001, but describes Labor leader Bill Shorten’s federal election promise to commit $25 million towards Tasmania having its own team as “crass intervention”.

Kennett believes a Tasmanian club becoming the 19th team in the AFL is not “feasible for scheduling or to attract sufficient players of high enough standard to be competitive.”

So there’s the true view of the Hawks. And it’s a bizarre statement, it’s hardly going to curry favour in Tassie. I wonder how many neutrals will now rush out to buy Hawks Launceston memberships?

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2018-07-11/letter-to-members-tasmania

Jeff knows the Tasmanian gravy train is coming to an end.

Ego has come into play now.

But he is a sly old fox Kennett, I am sure he has his next government subsidised move ready to roll, probably New Zealand

I don't go to Blundstone much its a pain to get in & out of the area, which explains why a lot of people won't go to things their. Great ground for cricket, good for footy, shyte access. IMO;)
I thought you might make an exception for your new neighbour. ;)
Actually I'm looking forward to seeing some cricket there too. Would be nice if a test match would come to Bellerive again.
Otherwise, Lindisfarne is a lovely little burb, generally great mountain & river views. Real nice walks along the river. Cute little shopping area, easy to get the city or Eastlands shopping in Rosny.
Maybe I should just bike it to Blundstone? Not very far, easy in and out.
Good luck. Just talk a little slower & you'll be ok.
Practicing my slow speak right now...

What is the Tassie deal worth for Hawthorn?

What would they otherwise get for their major sponsorship?

It’s worth about $4m a year for the major naming rights partnership and clean stadium.

Hawthorn would probably be amongst the top 6 for brand (2nd in the afl for revenue, 3rd in the afl for social media, 2nd in the afl for club membership last year and 5th for AFL / MCC support) which would need to be factored into a post Tasmania world

Weren't very bright back then, nothing much has changed. I think the sun has fried the brains of the public.

The entire state wasted it's time with an unconstitutional referendum.

I hope they have a half decent lawyer over there these days.

Interesting and quite violent change of tack from Jeff, who was previously seen as a supporter of a long-term vision for a Tassie team

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has told Tasmanian football to back the Hawks or the AFL club will cut ties with the state.

The Hawks have played home games in Launceston since 2001, but describes Labor leader Bill Shorten’s federal election promise to commit $25 million towards Tasmania having its own team as “crass intervention”.

Kennett believes a Tasmanian club becoming the 19th team in the AFL is not “feasible for scheduling or to attract sufficient players of high enough standard to be competitive.”

So there’s the true view of the Hawks. And it’s a bizarre statement, it’s hardly going to curry favour in Tassie. I wonder how many neutrals will now rush out to buy Hawks Launceston memberships?

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2018-07-11/letter-to-members-tasmania

I think Jeff could have expressed that better.

I am happy for them to leave, it was pretty funny when the government unveiled the blueprint for defending Australia if invaded, which was protect the southern half of NSW and Victoria and forget about the rest of the country. If basically the entire country sunk under the ocean apart from that region, we would be better off.

Weren't very bright back then, nothing much has changed. I think the sun has fried the brains of the public.

We were promised compensation for the trade rules that severely affected our businesses when we joined - the promised compensation never came close to what we lost - ergo the attempt to receceed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back