Opinion Non-Crows AFL 9

Which team will finish the 2024 season higher ranked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield was a lot less developed than Ashcroft.

But also your other comparison - Fletcher was pick #12 in 2022, drafted as 183cm midfielder. Played 14 games in 2023 with zero CBA's (Didnt get on in the first 2 Brissy games either)

Nathan Van Berlo was pick 24 in the 2004 AFL draft as 183cm midfielder. Played 11 games year 1 before playing 19 games in year 2.

Pretty tough on Craigy here. He was stubborn, but here are the top end non KPP we drafted during his tenure.

2004 - NVB Pick 24 (11 games year 1, 19 games year 2).
2005 - Douglas pick 16 (3 games year 1, 13 games year 2, year 3 22games) , Pfeiffer pick 17 (zero career games).
2007 - Dangerfield Pick 9 (underage but played 19 games the same age as Ashcroft)
2010 - Brodie Smith pick 14 (14 games in first year).

This shows me a coach who is willing to get games into highly drafted non KPP talent.

Looks pretty selective to me. Here's all the players drafted during the Neil Craig era who went on to have a successful AFL career, and how many games they played in their first season

Van Berlo - 11
Maric - 0 (although maybe harsh as he was a ruck)
Knights - 2
Douglas - 3
Vince - 4
Tippett - 0
Mackay - 0
Dangerfield - 21 (if we ignore his first season)
Otten - 2
Walker - 0
Davis - 0
Sloane - 1
Henderson - 0 (although maybe disputed "good" career)
Talia - 0
Gunston - 2
Wright - 0 (same note as Henderson)
Smith - 14
Lyons - 0

So on average, 3.3 games in their first season

The crazy thing is that same group of players played on average 15 games a season in their second year.

Craig always was a "do your apprenticeship in the SANFL" coach, even if you were a good player.

I guess you could argue that Craig not playing any of these guys made them better?

Looks pretty selective to me. Here's all the players drafted during the Neil Craig era who went on to have a successful AFL career, and how many games they played in their first season

Van Berlo - 11
Maric - 0 (although maybe harsh as he was a ruck)
Knights - 2
Douglas - 3
Vince - 4
Tippett - 0
Mackay - 0
Dangerfield - 21 (if we ignore his first season)
Otten - 2
Walker - 0
Davis - 0
Sloane - 1
Henderson - 0 (although maybe disputed "good" career)
Talia - 0
Gunston - 2
Wright - 0 (same note as Henderson)
Smith - 14
Lyons - 0

So on average, 3.3 games in their first season

The crazy thing is that same group of players played on average 15 games a season in their second year.

Craig always was a "do your apprenticeship in the SANFL" coach, even if you were a good player.

I guess you could argue that Craig not playing any of these guys made them better?

I just want to know which one of these players were AFL ready made players like Will bloody Ashcroft who was pick 1?!?!?

Our top 3 most talented non KPP players were all given games (Smith, Danger, VB) and Douglas at pick 16 played 3 and then 13.

Craigy was too stubborn to play stars like Fagan.

Fagan would never park a player like Craig:

2017 - Pick 18 Brandon Starchevic - 1 game in 2018, 4 games in 2019.
2018 - Pick 36 Thomas Berry - 6 games in 2020 - 11 games in 2021.
2019 - Pick 22 Devon Robertson - 1 game in 2020 - 16 games in 2020.
2021 - Pick 16 Darcy Wilmot - 3 games in 2022 - 26 games in 2023

I think that all of these examples we have both thrown out show that the higher the draft pick (for players under 195cm) the earlier they play. Who would have thunk it.

I just want to know which one of these players were AFL ready made players like Will bloody Ashcroft who was pick 1?!?!?

Our top 3 most talented non KPP players were all given games (Smith, Danger, VB) and Douglas at pick 16 played 3 and then 13.

Craigy was too stubborn to play stars like Fagan.

Fagan would never park a player like Craig:

2017 - Pick 18 Brandon Starchevic - 1 game in 2018, 4 games in 2019.
2018 - Pick 36 Thomas Berry - 6 games in 2020 - 11 games in 2021.
2019 - Pick 22 Devon Robertson - 1 game in 2020 - 16 games in 2020.
2021 - Pick 16 Darcy Wilmot - 3 games in 2022 - 26 games in 2023

I think that all of these examples we have both thrown out show that the higher the draft pick (for players under 195cm) the earlier they play. Who would have thunk it.

"They weren't ready" is the excuse the Crows have used for years because Neil Craig practically invented it, even applied it to players that absolutely were ready like Walker

Neil Craig gave just FOUR players 5 or more games in their first year. In total. Including the crap draft picks. Out of nearly 60 new players on the list in that period.

Craig gave 44 players ZERO games in his first season, including 5 taken in the first round. If you were a tall player it was basically impossible to get a game in your first season, no matter how good you were.

Chris Fagan has given ELEVEN players 5 or more games in their first year, including 5 taken outside the first 20 picks in the draft. And that's from just 30 or so drafted players.

To play a full season in your first season under Craig, you had to be one of the best players to ever play the game, and it actually technically had to be your second season.

I don't know why you are trying to revise history and claim Craig just had stacks of s**t not ready players and that's why he was stingy with games.

Chris Fagan has given ELEVEN players 5 or more games in their first year, including 5 taken outside the first 20 picks in the draft. And that's from just 30 or so drafted players.

Here are the first year players that Fagan has given 10 or more games to in their first year in his 8 years.

2016 Draft - Pick 3 McLuggage, Pick 17 Berry, Pick 23 Witherdon
2017 Draft - Pick 1 Rayner, Pick 15 Bailey, Pick 18 Stacevich
2018 Draft - Pick 55 Answorth
2022 Draft - Pick 1 Will Ashcroft, Pick 12 Jasper Fletcher.

8 of these 9 players were top 25 players.

Admittedly Craigy didnt blood the KPP players early. But to suggest he wouldn't play top end midfielders like Will Ashcroft is just folly when he did so with Danger, NVB, Smith.

And to the surprise of no one, Pendlebury is free to play.

If that was Toby Greene who did that, he's get weeks.

Won a flag at Glenelg, very capable coach but heard some off field relationships not so good
Thing about a larger AFL coaching group is need a mixture of coaches who think differently, including some with good strategic thinking on match day.

Sadly I'm not convinced we have anyone in our current coaching group who is smart strategically.

And to the surprise of no one, Pendlebury is free to play.

If that was Toby Greene who did that, he's get weeks.
I heard him this morning on the radio. Reading between the undisguised lines he said it was retaliation and worthy of a fine only.
Whoever coaches Collingwoods’ players on media presentation could make a living training Tex and the rest of our guys.

Curnow is a protected bird...
Indeed... as only need to see how he receives so many more frees than other forwards for similar contact.

Monty for Coleman as gets looked after.

Carlton looking solid for top 4 with Lions & Pies struggling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back