MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL Discussion - 2017 - Finals. And yes , again its non Dees discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Footy has definitely been a bit worse to watch this year, we had a lot of close H&A games but even then a few of those were shitty until last 5 minutes. If I was a tiger fan I obviously wouldn't give a s**t about how it looks but the pressure based gameplay they played was horrible to watch as a neutral. I was hoping Adelaide would win the GF because their style is way better to watch but the pressure was just too much.

Never thought I'd say this but the Hawks style was better to watch than what we have now.

I'll keep saying this but everyone should go back and watch a quarter of the Sydney WC GFs which were considered the 'Ugliest' GFs. They were a million times better to watch than the recent games.

I used to love watching all footy but I find the neutral games quite boring these days. They killed off the bumps and the enforcers, killed off the high marking apart from Howe and killed off the big forwards. Rucks are dying slowly.
Every game has a very similar look and feel to it and all the sanitizing has killed off the major rivalries. It's as boring a product as its ever been

God no! Whilst there a few people who recognise the problems and would give sensible suggestions to fix it, the average AFL fan shouldn't be given responsibility for the remote control to their telly let alone the rules of the game!
Not a strict fan vote but there should be fan representation on the commission who say make up 20% of any decision

Well TK you've got my vote ;)
Haha I may struggle mate. If it was me in charge blokes would be allowed to club each other again and get minimal punishments. I'd also remove the frontal contact and hands in the back rules. 2 rules that add absolutely nothing to the game and I'd instruct umpires to pay no free kicks to either forwards or backs if they both wrestle.

Haha I may struggle mate. If it was me in charge blokes would be allowed to club each other again and get minimal punishments. I'd also remove the frontal contact and hands in the back rules. 2 rules that add absolutely nothing to the game and I'd instruct umpires to pay no free kicks to either forwards or backs if they both wrestle.
I'll sell my vote if you ensure that Cameron Ling is not allowed anywhere near football media coverage.

* I had rough night last night. I might have seriously damaged meself beyond repair.

10 days straight work then going on a 13 he bender tends to leave the brain struggling a wee bit.

At the same time * proof reading for you Kents

**** I had rough night last night. I might have seriously damaged meself beyond repair.

10 days straight work then going on a 13 he bender tends to leave the brain struggling a wee bit.

At the same time **** proof reading for you Kents
'sokay. There's no need to thank me.

I'd media ban everyone on 7s coverage except BT and Carey. Re hire Christensen Walls Lane and Blight.
I get why people can like BT but Carey really?

Huddo Quartermaine and Tim Lane is the best commentary team we've had on f2a

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll keep saying this but everyone should go back and watch a quarter of the Sydney WC GFs which were considered the 'Ugliest' GFs. They were a million times better to watch than the recent games.

I used to love watching all footy but I find the neutral games quite boring these days. They killed off the bumps and the enforcers, killed off the high marking apart from Howe and killed off the big forwards. Rucks are dying slowly.
Every game has a very similar look and feel to it and all the sanitizing has killed off the major rivalries. It's as boring a product as its ever been
I'm not going to lie, but i was board AF in the 2005 GF until the last quarter

I just hope it doesn't end up like NRL with 22 blokes will all the same attributes running around.

26 blokes. And NRL has variety; there are big blokes, quick blokes and then the game revolutionizing big quick blokes.

Hawthorn continue with the clean out. Reports Tracy Gawdry has been sacked as CEO after 5 months at the helm.

So it would seem. Bit odd to appoint someone inexperienced and then not nurse them through the hardest initial stage of the job.

Hawthorn continue with the clean out. Reports Tracy Gawdry has been sacked as CEO after 5 months at the helm.

I wonder what she's done wrong? I mean AFL is a boys club so its going to be a challenge coming in as an outsider without the HQ contacts, let alone as the first female CEO with all that expectation on you.

I wonder what she's done wrong? I mean AFL is a boys club so its going to be a challenge coming in as an outsider without the HQ contacts, let alone as the first female CEO with all that expectation on you.

If the AFL was a "boys club", she wouldn't have been appointed in the first place. Such a tired old phrase that gets trotted out all the time...

If the AFL was a "boys club", she wouldn't have been appointed in the first place. Such a tired old phrase that gets trotted out all the time...

By boys club i meant everyone knows everyone, its a heavily contact driven organisation.

I'm not suggesting any malice, but men and women manage people differently overall. It would be the same if you had an organisation of outcome driven managers and a new person is appointed with a process driven methodology. Its hard to mesh and be effective.

sounds a bit as though she and Clarko didn't hit it off.

And realistically - if Clarkson was your senior coach and the CEO couldn't work well with him, and the best move was to lose one or the other, you're keeping Clarkson.

By boys club i meant everyone knows everyone, its a heavily contact driven organisation.

I'm not suggesting any malice, but men and women manage people differently overall. It would be the same if you had an organisation of outcome driven managers and a new person is appointed with a process driven methodology. Its hard to mesh and be effective.

Fair enough, just a phrase that irritates me due to it being rolled out as a catch all excuse. Hardly going to be otherwise though; the vast majority of people floating around are ex-players who already have experience and stayed on with clubs in various roles after their playing careers.

sounds a bit as though she and Clarko didn't hit it off.

And realistically - if Clarkson was your senior coach and the CEO couldn't work well with him, and the best move was to lose one or the other, you're keeping Clarkson.

Problem is Clarko is an alpha. He'll only respond to strength. He really needs someone around who isn't intimidated by him to keep him in line, while having the sense to stay out of footy department decisions.

Problem is Clarko is an alpha. He'll only respond to strength. He really needs someone around who isn't intimidated by him to keep him in line, while having the sense to stay out of footy department decisions.
I imagine Clarko is a strong-minded type, but Hawthorn's overall administration has clearly worked out well for an extended period - so presumably he can work with a range of characters out there and be effective. I don't know that he has really needed too much 'keeping in line' - well I don't know at all but I think that kind of thinking has arisen as a kind of myth because of his hot-headed punching walls and Port supporters vibe.

While it is a bummer that the new CEO bit the dust so early into tenure, Clarkson is a fixture for as long as he wants to be, and rightly so, so if Hawthorn think it wise to build their administration around this as a starting point, I wouldn't blame them.

Personally, if Alastair Clarkson mysteriously decided he wanted to coach Melbourne, I hope we would give him every parking spot and whoever he wants around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back