Non-Influencial 'Gun' Players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Home Finals at the MCG
I don't think Taylor Walker is the sort of player this thread is about. He doesn't accumulate a ton of possessions. You can make an argument that he often doesn't get enough of the ball. But he does tend to deal quite a bit of damage with the touches he gets.
He has no influence in a lot of his games

MightyHawks

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Interesting responses of yours to Scott Wests nomination

So if Scott West actually is a non-influencial gun player (and I make no comment on if he is worthy of a nomination or not)
Super he played lots of games and didn't do much
7 time best and fairest (club record).
Someone has to win them in an average side
So many of the same selectors pick the team - KB and others have no idea what actually helps win games of footy. Probably a few non-influencial gun players in every AA team
2 time runner up in brownlow.
So in 2000 he was comparable to Shane Woewodin? Tom Mitchell seems to be a popular figure in this thread and he actually won a brownlow as well as runner up
Leading possession getter on the ground in consecutive prelims.
Maybe his lack of influence was critical in losing those prelims?
Even if you’re right your post is better suited to an unpopular opinions thread!
Is it true that Scott West joined a team that had played in a Prelim Final the previous year, and they promptly slid out of the 8? And when he retired the team improved and went on play in two consecutive Prelims straight after he retired?

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Some people must think less of guys that arnt meant to be ball winners.
You want blokes like Lloyd to become a ball ferret ? At his size ? He'd stick his head in a pack and be rag dolled out with one hand. He's got mongrel but a man needs to know his limitations.
Just off the contest, fast reliable decision making and excellent distribution.
You need a few of all types.
Tom Mitchell I can understand due to him being an inside mid.

One bloke that never worried me thru his entire career was Marc Murphy. If he had it 15 times in the first qtr it wasn't necessarily bad news.
Early days when he played more free and forward of center he cut you apart. but that was a long time ago now! I remember him hitting up fev for fun and running through 50 kicking goals. Cant hit anything these days and cant kick 30!

AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Early days when he played more free and forward of center he cut you apart. but that was a long time ago now! I remember him hitting up fev for fun and running through 50 kicking goals. Cant hit anything these days and cant kick 30!
No matey.
I;m saying he never worried me.
There was never a time when anyone said "how do we stop Marc Murphy"

Top Bottom