Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, there’s a small innocent bird minding its own business and it just happens to be the mascot of the team we’re playing this week. Let’s go terrorise it just for the LOLs.

I'm looking forward to Carlton releasing something similar...

I don’t actually think he is that good.
I mean he is ok, he can take a bloody good contested mark but he can’t kick for s**t.
I think he needs to go down back and terrorise some forwards.
I said that on the West Coast board ages ago, and copped a bollocking.

Next time you're out foraging for food for your family and a 90ft tall dickhead starts chasing you, we'll see how you cope.

You young folk these days are such snowflakes

Geez Chris Scott talks a lot of crap. Makes out he's the most reasonable , consultative admirer of opponents and anyone else they're deifying. Hmmmm. Annoying if nothing else.

Meanwhile Kingsley looks on stonefaced not giving away one scintilla of what he's thinking.

They still have Mitchell and Pendlebury but they are slow and there's zero inside depth past that. GWS can definitely expose that. Altogether it will be a interesting matchup in both teams love to run forward in waves
I reckon it's going to be a very interesting game on Friday night in that both teams really play in bursts. In their Qualifying Final, Collingwood played out of their skins for the first 10 minutes, and then the last 10 minutes of the first quarter. For the rest of the game, not a lot really happened and by the end they were hanging on for grim death.

And on Saturday night, GWS were frightening for 20 minutes in the second quarter, so much so that at one stage they scored a goal where they were literally queueing up. But for the rest of the game not a lot really happened; the Giants were forced into slow footy and kicking up the line a lot, and then of course in the last quarter Port had all those shots. None of their 9 behinds were absolute gimmes but it was a clear reflection of the territory dominance Port had.

So I really think it will be a matter of which team's burst lasts the longest and has the biggest scoreboard impact. Other than that I think it'll be a pretty even and dour game with a lot of between-the-arcs play.

Summary of the new CBA​

AFL

• 10 per cent increase in base pay in 2023.
  • 37 per cent increase in pay over the life of the deal.
  • Average player salary to increase from $387,000 in 2022 to $519,000 in 2027.
  • Three-year contracts for first round draftees.
  • Regulated payments for third year players.
  • Player leave has increased based on the last CBA.
  • Five-day breaks provide greater flexibility in fixturing – including more Thursday night games.
  • Injury and hardship fund ($40 million boost) - $60 million over five years, up from $20 million.
  • Discussions on a mid-season trade period to continue with clubs.
AFLW

• 29 per cent pay uplift for AFLW players effective immediately.
  • AFLW season length to increase to 12 rounds in 2025, potentially 14 rounds in 2027 based on achieving key metrics
  • The AFLW Total Player Payments inclusive of Base amount is more than $32.3 million for 2023, compared to $25 million for Season Seven and $10.4 million in Season Six.
  • Clubs will continue to be required to ensure there are minimum levels of medical, physical preparation and high-performance staff resourcing to allow AFLW players to prepare for matches and training sessions more efficiently.
  • AFLW players will receive increased certainty with 12-month contracts implemented, and the ability to sign multi-year contracts – the same as the men’s AFL competition.
  • A world leading 12-month pregnancy policy, commencing from six weeks before a player’s due date, will be immediately introduced as will increased investment into player support and welfare.
OTHER

• Increased access to players for media and broadcast via new broadcast policy to be introduced.
  • All AFL players in the 23 named from the week before to be available to media in the week after their match.
  • Player relocation and travel benefits will be equitable for both AFL and AFLW players who relocate states.
  • A joint committee will be set up by the AFL and AFLPA to ensure a safe working environment for all players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez Chris Scott talks a lot of crap. Makes out he's the most reasonable , consultative admirer of opponents and anyone else they're deifying. Hmmmm. Annoying if nothing else.

scott2.jpg

Robo may come home to play for Lauderdale in Hobart next season and Andrew phillips from the bombers as well
Christenson the coach

Just watching Kingsley on 360 the difference between he and Cameron is absolute light years.

I don't think the Giants are going to lie down this week. A much tighter contest than the bookies odds predict.
I agree I don't think they lie down, but a six day break, almost five as they apparently did not leave Adelaide until the Sunday, a lot of travel and some young players that have been up for awhile, and as much as I like some of their individual players eg Taylor, T. Greene, Coniglio, Kelly etc, I think 90,000 Pies fans get the Pies home reasonably comfortably....but I have been wrong plenty of times before.

I agree I don't think they lie down, but a six day break, almost five as they apparently did not leave Adelaide until the Sunday, a lot of travel and some young players that have been up for awhile, and as much as I like some of their individual players eg Taylor, T. Greene, Coniglio, Kelly etc, I think 90,000 Pies fans get the Pies home reasonably comfortably....but I have been wrong plenty of times before.
Giants will win. 2 to 3 goals. Big 2nd and 3rd quarters.

You'd think the Pies will come out with steam coming out of their ears. And they have everything in their favour.

But the Giants are playing with a confidence in each other that I've never seen from them before.

Maybe they'll hit the wall soon . It should be a good match up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back