Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Former lion and current Aspley Hornets player Liam Dawson win BOG in the Qafl Gf today. Second year in a row he’s won the award. Another great season from him as well.

As much as the AFL & Victorian’s would hate it, a Lions/Giants GF would actually be a pretty exciting game.

My thinking as well.....can see GWS beating the Pies quite easily then playing us in the GF.

..another thing that I'm very sure was mentioned at the time but how the hell do 4 umpires miss seeing Toby Green get "strangled" in I think was the 1st quarter of the game....everybody saw it happen except them. Very obvious arm over the shoulder but nothing to see here.

The umpiring this year has been atrocious. If I notice things then it must be bad.

My thinking as well.....can see GWS beating the Pies quite easily then playing us in the GF.

..another thing that I'm very sure was mentioned at the time but how the hell do 4 umpires miss seeing Toby Green get "strangled" in I think was the 1st quarter of the game....everybody saw it happen except them. Very obvious arm over the shoulder but nothing to see here.

The umpiring this year has been atrocious. If I notice things then it must be bad.
I'm not sold on the 4 umpires experiment, leads to more inconsistency... 4 different interpretations of an already very subjective set of rules.

Just read this apparent quote on the Port Board:

"People can say we had some injured players, or some blokes who were less than perfect – I can guarantee you that if some of the replacements were put out there, it would have been a much, much worse result."
- Ken Hinkley

That's an awful thing to say about players on your list. Basically, we had to put a bunch of crocks on the field because the reserves are so bad.

Even if you believe it, you don't say it. Pretty much any fit player outside their best 22 will now be thinking that the coach thinks they are shit.

"People can say we had some injured players, or some blokes who were less than perfect – I can guarantee you that if some of the replacements were put out there, it would have been a much, much worse result."
- Ken Hinkley

That's an awful thing to say about players on your list. Basically, we had to put a bunch of crocks on the field because the reserves are so bad.

Even if you believe it, you don't say it. Pretty much any fit player outside their best 22 will now be thinking that the coach thinks they are s**t.
I thought Kenny spoke well . Sometimes his honesty gets him into trouble.

We would have to say exactly the same ourselves if we copped injuries and were truthful.

We're flat out finding an adequate sub. as it is.

I thought Kenny spoke well . Sometimes his honesty gets him into trouble.

We would have to say exactly the same ourselves if we copped injuries and were truthful.

We're flat out finding an adequate sub. as it is.
We were saying the exact same thing yesterday in our VFL thread.

The difference is we’re numpties on a forum, not the head coach saying it in a press conference.

- Ken Hinkley

Even if you believe it, you don't say it. Pretty much any fit player outside their best 22 will now be thinking that the coach thinks they are s**t.

Sounds about right. If we lost 6 players we'd be a much, much worse team

We were saying the exact same thing yesterday in our VFL thread.

The difference is we’re numpties on a forum, not the head coach saying it in a press conference.
Not a Kenny fan but he handled himself in that post-match presser pretty well considering that he must have been devastated and feeling the pressure of that loss. What he said was cringeworthy for fringe players on his list and if he had his time again, I'm sure he would have been more circumspect.

Was that the one in the pocket right of screen?

Greene lowered at the knees, umps are trained not to pay those

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet pay one to Rioli moments earlier when he slipped over and the Giants players arm inadvertently hit Rioli in the head which was akin to ducking. The inconsistency of umpiring is at an all time low and the media and AFL refuse to acknowledge or address it.

Yeah it's a very complex area. Even Ray struggles to articulate it on his Whateley spot. Essentially if the deliberate action of the ball carrier causes the high contact, play on unless the contact is unreasonable anyway. Try getting that consistent in an AFL game

Yeah Hinkley did not handle that question well about his fringe players but the rest was well done. Seems like they are missing out on Grundy and (at this point) have two players coming in who I am not sure are going to add that much. Will be interesting to see what happens next year. They seem to have been really exposed for their squad deficiencies in the back half of the year.

Not sure if anyone will agree with this but they seem a bit like a Melbourne-lite in that they have two gun mids and if you shut them out, the team doesn't have much else.

Tbf port should have a well balanced midfield..a starting combo of Wines (inside) Butter (inside / outside) and Rozee (outside) should be dominant.

Unfortunately Rozee is so far outside he just runs forward from every contest, Wines form has dropped (was it ever good or did he just amass possessions) and Butters can be shutout in the contest because he's 181cm and still very slight and Wines has been no threat. The next rotations also don't bat super deep, I like Drew (who does a similar job as Dunkley) but then who is there? JHF will probably come good but 17 possessions a game in a high possession team as a full time mid isn't a great return. After that you are looking at Powell-Pepper who regressed to not being able to hit a barn with his shots on goal last night and Boak, whos 36 and ready to retire.

There's a decent midfield there waiting to come together, but if they want to play break neck ahead of the ball footy from a Rozee and JHF, they need a ruckman that dominates like Melbourne has. Should be going hard for Draper if I was their list manager (although to be fair I would also take him at Brisbane too haha).

They were missing Jonas and Clurey and for some reason they took Aliir off Hogan who was realistically GWSs only decent forward and let him towel up Mackenzie. But when your midfield gets smashed by 15-20 clearances in a half what do you expect the defenders to do.

My favourite quote from the port board last night, “not only do we have the worst coach in the league we also have the worst looking coach, and that list includes fagan” made me spit out my drink

Not a Kenny fan but he handled himself in that post-match presser pretty well considering that he must have been devastated and feeling the pressure of that loss. What he said was cringeworthy for fringe players on his list and if he had his time again, I'm sure he would have been more circumspect.
I don't know what Port's injury list is like, but when making such comments, you're not talking about fringe players such as Darryl McDowell-White or Shadeau Brain or Kalin Lane. You're talking about the next man/men up on the list such as Jaxon Prior or Darcy Fort or Jarryd Lyons.

My favourite quote from the port board last night, “not only do we have the worst coach in the league we also have the worst looking coach, and that list includes fagan” made me spit out my drink
As a man a couple of years older than Fagan and subjectively uglier I take offence on behalf of the aesthetically challenged elderly.:shoutyoldman:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back