Club Focus North Melbourne 2021 - Greenwood, Coleman-Jones, Horne-Francis, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Club bias aside, I do worry that North (Least the supporters on this forum) are placing all their eggs in the 5 percent chance Harry will join North basket.

And if that 5 percent chance does happen, it hardly means their rebuild is suddenly all over, they are still minimum 4 years or so after this season to be a chance to play finals anyway.

There is a lot of naivety being played out IMHO.

Absolute no indication at all that Harry will leave Carlton at any rate.

No harm in asking I suppose, but the most probable scenario is Harry will sign a 2 year x 850 ish PA deal which will then take him to restricted free agency.

North fans should not get their hopes up, and also need to start addressing the many other gaps and holes in their list.
What's the point of that?

He is effectively a restricted free agent now.

RFA offers no particular advantage to the player under our current system.

From everything I've seen and read Edwards is the standout and we want hIm. Hopefully he nominates as expected, would be a nice little boost for us.

Little boost is putting it lightly imo. Pretty much free crack at first round level talent. I mean the best players from the previous draft were Snelling, Nobel and Pickett.

Not complaining. I doubt North will be the first side to profit from their being a gun 19 year old available in the mid season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough off season for the Roos, out of contract guys are few and far between;

(aacording to Footywire.com)

Aaron Hall, Aiden Bonar, Atu Bonsevaguli, Ben McKay, Connor Menadue, Dom Tyson, Jack Ziebull, Josh Walker, Kyron Hayden, Lachie Young, Matt McGuiness, Pat Walker, Robbie Tarrant, Shaun Atley, Taylor Garner, Tom Campbell, Trent Dumont, Will Walker

aminimum of 4 delistings will need to come from the unbolded players. Dom Tyson and Connor Menadue are pretty easy, With Jacob Edwards on his way in, Tom Campbell may very well be on his way out whilst two more should be found from any number of those kids.

You could very well trade out a guy or two in an attempt to garner more top 30 picks, unsure if anyone you're willing to let go is worth anything, perhaps Ziebull or Atley as free agents.

Currently picks 1, 20, 38, 70

Pick 1 gets you a very good young player in Jason Horne, should slot into the round 1 2022 team. At pick 20 surely you go looking for runners with good skills? 38 onwards is speculative so just gobest availableon your draft board.

And given this is the North thread around here, I'll add that I've really liked what I've seen from him so far. Has shown a mid as a medium defender and as a tall-ish wingman. A really good example of a player maybe on the fringes of a good side who can get more opportunity to show what he can do with a developing team.
I liked Lachie Young, I think he's the type that will be very good when he hits that 50 game mark. Kicks the ball low and hard and a very good judge of the ball in flight. I think he's much better behind the ball. Unfortunately he wasn't going to get enough senior opportunity for a year or two, sometimes players just have to move for that reason.

With Jacob Edwards on his way in, Tom Campbell may very well be on his way out whilst two more should be found from any number of those kids.
Campbell is a decent stop gap but they also have Xerri in the VFL who has shown some good signs too.
Tommy's one of the best blokes in football so would no doubt be doing what he can to help the kids develop.

Campbell is a decent stop gap but they also have Xerri in the VFL who has shown some good signs too.
Tommy's one of the best blokes in football so would no doubt be doing what he can to help the kids develop.

Very true, I was a huge advocate when he was with our VFL program way back when, always struck me as a team first sort of guy. Being a useful #2 ruck or KPP may well save him but those delistings aregoing to need to come from somewhere, was just a name I threw up.

All the draftees have singled him out as the biggest support from a player perspective since they joined the club. Just a great person.

It's a bonus that he has been playing a role for us at AFL level. Obviously he's warming Xerri's spot until he's ready, but it's been really good result for TC.

Aaron Hall, Aiden Bonar, Atu Bonsevaguli, Ben McKay, Connor Menadue, Dom Tyson, Jack Ziebull, Josh Walker, Kyron Hayden, Lachie Young, Matt McGuiness, Pat Walker, Robbie Tarrant, Shaun Atley, Taylor Garner, Tom Campbell, Trent Dumont, Will Walker

aminimum of 4 delistings will need to come from the unbolded players. Dom Tyson and Connor Menadue are pretty easy, With Jacob Edwards on his way in, Tom Campbell may very well be on his way out whilst two more should be found from any number of those kids.

You could very well trade out a guy or two in an attempt to garner more top 30 picks, unsure if anyone you're willing to let go is worth anything, perhaps Ziebull or Atley as free agents.

Pick 1 gets you a very good young player in Jason Horne, should slot into the round 1 2022 team. At pick 20 surely you go looking for runners with good skills? 38 onwards is speculative so just gobest availableon your draft board.

Rumors of Dumont leaving via FA to Adelaide, Scott Clayton wasn't exactly convincing when asked about it on Twomeys pod yesterday. He will probably net a top 50% AFL wage, so will get Band 3 (which will be a low 20's pick given we will finish close to last).

I think we may even look at trading up our second rounder. There's a nice pool of likely talls in the teens that would be pretty appealing. (JVR, Williams, Mac Andrew).

Otherwise, Sam Banks has trained with the club and academy for years, they would of had a good look at him. Half back with elite skills and decent speed which should be available there.

Whispers around Trent Dumont getting offers from opposition clubs (FA) - Can see us letting him go if he wants. Unsure of what that gets us in terms of compo.

Scotty Clayton has indicated that the draft will be our lifeline this year again, so expecting us to take another 4 picks.

Can see us going with the following:
- MSD Pick 1 Edwards
- Pick 1 Horne
- Pick 20 Best Available (running defender or KPF)

Gives us 3 high quality prospects to go with our already strong group of youth.

Yeah I’d delist Campbell (3 years on rookie list so has to be delisted or moved to senior list), will and pat walker all 3 from our rookie list

the senior list cuts are harder outside of Tyson

Yeah I’d delist Campbell (3 years on rookie list so has to be delisted or moved to senior list), will and pat walker all 3 from our rookie list

the senior list cuts are harder outside of Tyson
Potential to downgrade a senior listed guy? Essendon are reknowned for doing this, could be a suitable option if you only have kids you wish to keep.

Dumont may be leaving for Adelaide. Was subtly removed from the leadership group last year. Bonar is young and talented enough to keep around. Menadue is an interesting one as he hasn't been bad, but he hasn't exactly been good either. McGuiness is a rookie that just can't put on enough weight as a KPF, or collect enough footy as a tall winger, lovely kick though. P Walker is a highly skilled rookie that doesn't get enough of it, so neither here, nor there.

Tyson is gone, is past it and his leg injuries have ruined what little chance he had of making it. Josh Walker has played enough this year, but I really don't want to see him on our list next year as he is very slow and limited. Unless Garner gets injured again, he'll be staying on next year. Campbell is a stop-gap in all reality, probably a year contract at this rate for development purposes to protect Edwards in the VFL next year.

Will Walker is gone, injuries have robbed him of any chance at a career. Hall will get another year after a very good year at HB. Ziebell has been good in a lot of respects, not so well in others, doubt he'll leave the club, but he doesn't have long left as far as I am concerned and he isn't worth a great deal. Atley is an interesting one, not a heap of value, has continually lacked composure and footy smarts, but is not a poor player either. Hayden hasn't shown a heap this year after a good year last year as a small defender, but has been injured, see and wait. Young will get another year, very much a development player. Atu has shown a little as a small defender and has a lot of good attributes and was specifically targeted by the club last year, so he'll be at North next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back