Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

So on 1 hand we have Gia who had ties with Scott Clayton and on the other hand we have Noble who had ties with Roos and Blakey. l wonder who will get the job...... Most likely>>>>>Harvey 😂 😂 😂

Gia is apparently presenting for the job tomorrow.

he coached my brother in the VFL last year and he has a very positive opinion of him as a coach.

he was very highly regarded by the playing group and the rest of the club.

good luck to him tmrw.

was Adam Kingsley ever in the running? he’s definitely got a lot of experience as an assistant coach

Choco doesn’t seem to be mentioned much now. Like his ballsy approach but worry if he is past his use by. Maybe not. Noble I know little about but he seems to be very well regarded so cautiously optimistic with him. Harvey has chased and missed a few along the way. I am uneasy about him but not sure why. A friend suggests very well regarded at Pies but not sure if he has the balls to dish out the hard love when needed. Seems a quality bloke. Gia - well regarded too but I don’t have any intel on him yet. Seems like a good field to choose from.

Just caught-up on the member Q&A so now highly confident we will get the right person for the job.

Great initiative by our club, further cementing our innovative approach. Really appreciated the acknowledgment that supporters are frustrated by the relentless negative media spin & this is one method to bring us into the tent.

he coached my brother in the VFL last year and he has a very positive opinion of him as a coach.

good luck to him tmrw.

was Adam Kingsley ever in the running? he’s definitely got a lot of experience as an assistant coach

I heard on the news last night that Essendon specifically went after Gia because they needed to bridge the gap in relationship between players and coaches and he comes highly regarded in that aspect of the game. Seems like there’s quite a few positives. I screwed my nose up when I heard he was shortlisted but the more you read you can start to understand why.

Really comfortable with all three of the remaining potential coaches - All three strength lie in their relationships, which couldn't be more important when dealing with such a young group.

Passmore - I'm not sure about Blakey re tactical, however having friends that have been coached by him, I know his relationships are his key strength also.

As suggested by Brady, they will announce additional assistant/line coaches once they have made the decision on head coach, 1 of which I expect to be Roos. It would make sense that another of those positions is used for another very tactical assistant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good luck to him tmrw.

Kingsley apparently said no.

Choco doesn’t seem to be mentioned much now. Like his ballsy approach but worry if he is past his use by. Maybe not. Noble I know little about but he seems to be very well regarded so cautiously optimistic with him. Harvey has chased and missed a few along the way. I am uneasy about him but not sure why. A friend suggests very well regarded at Pies but not sure if he has the balls to dish out the hard love when needed. Seems a quality bloke. Gia - well regarded too but I don’t have any intel on him yet. Seems like a good field to choose from.

I know a few boys who played down at Werribee last year. They were nothing short of glowing in their endorsement for Williams, both as a tactical coach and as a people person. A number of werribee boys really took their game to another level under him last year.

I'd be happier if Schofield is still in the mix. Some massive wraps on him from out west, and his CV is pretty impressive. Plus he has a bit of aura about him. We need a coach that draws the eye and commands respect just by walking in the doors each day. I reckon Schofield has it, Noble has it too.

Biggest decision in club history approaching.

a few potential coaches have ask for confidential agreements... Could it be Willams? Been very quiet

Hmm I wonder if this is being played out in the media as candidates saying no?

We don't tell and they say they said no and then if successful they get to play it as us being persistent, if not successful they get to just say nothing and walk away.

Hmm I wonder if this is being played out in the media as candidates saying no?

We don't tell and they say they said no and then if successful they get to play it as us being persistent, if not successful they get to just say nothing and walk away.

100% it is. We would be giving unsuccessful candidates the opportunity to say they pulled out (ie - Graham).

However, for someone like Gia, getting to a "final three" at this stage of his coaching development would be viewed as a positive. Noble's stock is also very high so it likely wouldn't be harmed much by missing out, he basically has the Lions CEO role if he wants it regardless.

Kingsley apparently said no.
He'll basically be Richmond's senior coach over the summer given Hardwick's taking a break, so you think he'd have a good opportunity to cement himself there as their long-term plan. Makes sense why he'd be keen to stay I reckon.

are there any actual factual references of "who" the actual applicants are? i keep hearing speculative news mentioning certain applicants but i havnt seen anything offical of applicants other than the netball coach that was not considered?

where did Gias name come into play, or choco for that matter, there was a press report on Noble being an applicant and some questions in the new recruits pressers mentioning harvey but other than this i havnt seen any tangible evidence f any applicants.

having said that its not necessarily a bad thing, surely the applicants privacy should be respected anyrate, we all know the club had leaked like a seize over the last 5 or 6 years.

I think so - also that StKilda never saw fit to appoint him to the senior role even though he is a club legend.

Destined for assistants roles - which is fine - they are important positions as well.

We made him the interim coach when Lyon left.

We didn't think he was up to it and landed on Scott Watters, followed by Alan Richardson.

I wouldn't take our judgement as evidence against Banger.

Really want to see him get a crack and will be buying a North membership if he gets the gig.

Really want to see him get a crack and will be buying a North membership if he gets the gig.

giphy.gif

North Melbourne: Who’s best placed to coach Kangaroos in 2021?
North Melbourne can’t afford to muck up its coaching appointment. Jon Ralph rates the three leading candidates.
Jon Ralph, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Subscriber only |November 18, 2020 12:28pm

similars

North Melbourne has cut an initial list of around 30 candidates for its head coaching job to a short list.

The Herald Sun understands Daniel Giansiracusa is a contender alongside Robert Harvey and David Noble.

It’s tough task to choose the next leader at any club, so here Jon Ralph looks at what each candidate can bring to the role.

DAVID NOBLE
PROS

Spend any time speaking to Noble and you realise he oozes common sense.

He isn’t flustered, he has seen it all - the highs and the lows - and he comes from a football program where his head coach Chris Fagan has shown how effective that kind of leadership can be.

Noble has a solid coaching background, having gone through local football with Upwey/Tecoma before a progression that included the Oakleigh Chargers, the Western Bulldogs and Glenelg before becoming an Adelaide assistant in 2005. So he has shown he had the coaching acumen before moving into football administration.

He might not be fire and brimstone like Mick Malthouse or John Northey but he is exactly what North Melbourne needs – a methodical and calm coach who will help build the club as well as the list, who won’t get flustered, who has seen every crisis the Roos might run into.

CONS
He hasn’t coached for a decade and hasn’t coached his own team for 15 years. Does that matter?

It certainly didn’t for Chris Fagan when he took over Brisbane.

It’s hard to think of many negatives for Noble given he won’t be flustered by the media and he won’t waver if the Roos battle early in their mini-rebuild.

A decade ago it might have mattered that he didn’t have the cache of premiership greats who turned into AFL senior coaches but surely we have moved past that stage.

Will he sell memberships for the Roos like a Michael Voss might have over summer?

Perhaps, but surely football fans are educated enough to realise a starring AFL career doesn’t necessarily convert into success

ROBERT HARVEY
PROS

Harvey has done it all not only as a player but also an assistant coach.

If you are looking for a senior assistant who has been at multiple clubs, proven himself in a successful environment and rounded out his coaching CV over more than a decade, it’s Robert Harvey.

The dual Brownlow Medallist at St Kilda has been at Collingwood since 2012 but before that was a St Kilda and Carlton assistant coach.

He was actually St Kilda’s interim coach for a time, even though he never coached them in a game in late 2011 when Ross Lyon quit.

In his time at Collingwood he has been an assistant coach of the year, been the backline coach, been the senior assistant and made his name as the midfield and transition coach.

CONS

Even as a club champion and St Kilda captain Harvey wasn’t seen to love the media part of the game.

The Pies pushed him hard last year in a charm offensive when he was up for roles in recent years.

But even if he isn’t a song-and-dance man, Pies assistant Justin Longmuir was cut from the same cloth and showed in his first year at Fremantle that development and wins are the only commodities that really matter.

The Pies battled with their midfield this year – or more specifically their midfield-forward connection – but surely only the churlish would believe that should reflect upon Harvey’s coaching credentials given their exceptional onball form over many years.

DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA
PROS

Surely the outsider in the race given he only has six years of coaching experience, yet Giansiracusa is a star on the rise.

Like Rhyce Shaw before him, he’s an AFL Coaches Association assistant coach of the year which shows how quickly he has transitioned from playing (265 games) into his next challenge.

From 2015-16 he was the club’s forward coach before two years as the stoppages and set-plays coach, before taking over the club’s VFL side in 2019.

It’s a well-rounded portfolio, and one that saw him poached by Essendon this off-season.

Giansiracusa has always been a popular figure as a player at the Dogs and one that can bring the list together, and that has immediately translated as an assistant coach.

CONS

Would the Roos be wary about appointing another star on the rise with so few years on his coaching CV?

Are they looking for a bulletproof candidate and one that is seen to be risk-free like Noble or Harvey?

He will surely be better with another 5-8 years as an assistant coach but that doesn’t mean he isn’t ready at 38 years of age.

He would only be six years younger than Todd Goldstein, but surely that doesn’t matter in modern football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back