North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Err no, nothing to do with it. Maybe in your mind.

You seem to think North deserve one cos they missed out when they were a real thing?

Of course tanking existed when there were priority picks, which is why they got rid of them.

However they aren’t just handing them out now to clubs who didn’t get one before 2010 just to be nice.

The priority pick still exists, just not under the criteria it used to be. North are the worst performing club in 30 years, so I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that they would be handing one to us willy nilly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The priority pick still exists, just not under the criteria it used to be. North are the worst performing club in 30 years, so I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that they would be handing one to us willy nilly.

If they get one it won’t be because they didn’t get one in the 90s or 00s. That will not be a factor.

At least the Tiges fans waited till they won something before turning into insufferable flogs

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Did they though ... ?

As bad as North Melbourne is, North isn't the worst side in 30 years. North isn't even the worst side in 10 years. Melbourne under Mark Neeld in 2012-3 was worse than Norths current team.

North Melbourne will turn it around
Thirty years includes 1995-96 Fitzroy, so we might not be the worst in that time - though I'm less convinced each game. Way worse than Neeld's Melbourne. North aren't winning a game before 2024 unless another side gets wiped out by covid, West Coast style.

Putting aside that PPs should not exist at all, the AFL's secret formula no doubt includes media revenue. Everything the AFL do is about media revenue. The AFL don't need, or even want, a successful North (not that another 18 year old would make a difference anyway).

We will find out what the AFL want to do with Roos long term by the outcome of the picks.
For what it’s worth freo have been out Of the finals longer had heaps of players leave had a few players injured for full seasons ex teammate deaths and a RTB handbrake.
Roos are one club that can’t act like a defeatist because they might die.

We will find out what the AFL want to do with Roos long term by the outcome of the picks.
For what it’s worth freo have been out Of the finals longer had heaps of players leave had a few players injured for full seasons ex teammate deaths and a RTB handbrake.
Roos are one club that can’t act like a defeatist because they might die.

It’s not really up to the AFL when we are debt free and making a profit every year. Even when we were on ours knees with millions in debt, we didn’t relocate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s so irrelevant because they didn’t have a draft or priority picks back then. If they did maybe Melbourne would have been well compensated. The reason the draft was bought in was to even up the competition and stop clubs being irrelevant for so long, which is a good thing.

True. From 1965-1986, there were 12 sides.

From 1965-71, it was only 4 finals spots for 12 sides.

From 1972-86, it was 5 finals spots for 12 sides.

Had the final 5 was introduced back In 1940, that's 30-32 finals spots made. Some struggling clubs would of made more finals in that period

Persistence might get you something..wrangling with Gil needs to be done….or else with the system..

With the list they have got and position on the ladder they are in, they ain't getting good 21-23 year olds with 50-60 games of AFL experience.

They will get at least 5-6 teenagers in the draft. Might take a punt on a couple of mature agers for stop gap measures

With the list they have got and position on the ladder they are in, they ain't getting good 21-23 year olds with 50-60 games of AFL experience.

They will get at least 5-6 teenagers in the draft. Might take a punt on a couple of mature agers for stop gap measures
I hope we try to get some mature agers in the draft and SSPs. Something we haven't even bothered doing for quite a while and get some Jack Hayes and Greg Clark type of players. Will never set the world on fire but can fill a role and contribute weekly immediately since we're gonna have a tough time bringing in mature players from other clubs.

North need all the help they can get but i just cant see them even getting close to selecting the right players
Beg for a PP but give up top picks for CCj & Polec

who knows which player they will target this year

The morons who picked up Polec and traded for CCJ have left the club ...

Thirty years includes 1995-96 Fitzroy, so we might not be the worst in that time - though I'm less convinced each game. Way worse than Neeld's Melbourne. North aren't winning a game before 2024 unless another side gets wiped out by covid, West Coast style.

Putting aside that PPs should not exist at all, the AFL's secret formula no doubt includes media revenue. Everything the AFL do is about media revenue. The AFL don't need, or even want, a successful North (not that another 18 year old would make a difference anyway).
don't think way worse than neelds melbourne, not copping 100 point hidings every week and where's north's 186?

I think North deserve a PP.

But even if I didn't, all of these "Oh they buggered up their list so it's all their own fault and they shouldn't get one!" comments are a bit rich. Pretty much EVERYONE who got a priority pick had dug their own hole in some way, either by

a) Deliberately tanking (Melbourne and Carlton in the late 2000s)
b) Being busted cheating and still suffering from the penalties (Carlton mid 2000s)
c) A recent history of poor trading/drafting/development (Richmond through the late 90s and 2000s, Gold Coast in the 2010s)
d) Misjudging their own list (Hawthorn were talking about challenging for the flag in 2004 before cratering and going into an enforced rebuild)

If the idea of "they ducked themselves up, they have to dig themselves out" applied, literally almost none of the previous priority winners should have received one.

So why is North suddenly so different?
You look back at demons tanking from 2007-13 and Carlton of 2005-7.

Demon's had a solid, consistent finals run from 1998-2006. But yeah cutting off some decent players aged 30 or over for a bunch of teenagers was harsh. Some of those 30 year old players in that list could of stayed for 1 or 2, possibly 3 seasons.

Carlton from 2002-4 was terrible. Hence why they tanked from 2005-2007. I have always compared both Carlton's 2002 squad and crows 2012 squad that had their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2012 and 2013 draft taken away.

Had Carlton drafted well betweens 1997-1999, they would of had a solid group of 21-25 year Olds in 2002 to work with.

Crows were competitive after 2012 despite losing multiple picks with the Kurt Tippet situation.

Crows drafted Well in the 2007-9 drafts. Makes it even more impressive as they made finals in those 3 years. Got guys like Sloane, Daniel Talia, Phil Davis, Dangerfield and Tex walker in that period.

Competitive in 2013-14. Nearly made finals in both years. They didt drop down to bottom 4 like Carlton did in 2002-4.

Also throw Freo in category C) as a side that drafted and traded badly from 1994-2006

North need all the help they can get but i just cant see them even getting close to selecting the right players
Beg for a PP but give up top picks for CCj & Polec

who knows which player they will target this year

The Polec pick would’ve been absorbed by the Tarryn Thomas bid, so they kind of needed to trade it to be fair.

They definitely could’ve done better than getting Polec with it though.

Last edited:
The Polec pick would’ve been absorbed by the Tarryn Thomas bid to be fair, so they kind of needed to trade it to be fair.

They definitely could’ve done better than getting Polec with it though.
That has been discussed multiple times and there are ways around that like trading it into the following year or trading it down for 2 later picks
North had the upper hand not to mention the psd , no team was going to match 5 x $750k specially front ended
north gave away a perfectly good pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back