Official Club Stuff Notice of General Meeting - Tuesday 17 August 2021 at 6:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

You've thrown Clarko's name specifically as an example on more than one occasion to drive your point home...

" Could you imagine Clarko wanting time away from coaching but willing to take on a board position, only to be told he would have to wait 2 years"

You've put it so emphatically... now explain why you think it'd be a bad result to miss out on him? What would he offer as a board member?

Or are you just trying to use Clarko for clout?
So you think Clarkos walking away from $1mil in the media or coaching for a non paid carlton board role...

People think footy club boards are like corporate boards with a fee paid to directors.

They are not.

Football club boards are voluntary, and hence normally filled by people passionate and dedicated to the club

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

So you think Clarkos walking away from $1mil in the media or coaching for a non paid carlton board role...

People think footy club boards are like corporate boards with a fee paid to directors.

They are not.

Football club boards are voluntary, and hence normally filled by people passionate and dedicated to the club

So why did you quote me? I'm not the one harping on about Clarko joining the board.

I think we need to keep an open mind, as ex non carlton players and coaches could add great value to the club

Why wouldn't they join the board of the club they support if they are highly credentialed?

I've met a few Directors types here and there. They seemed to be doing it for status, name dropping, resume padding. You'd want to be sure they are in it for the right reasons.

I just can't be bothered explaining something that is simple to understand.

The skillset of any of the names I mentioned would benefit any club, just think about it

Arr0w, I have asked your reasoning specifically behind those names... how can I or anybody else know what your thoughts on these people are?

I just want to know what value you see them adding off field, because we already know you don't think board members have anything to do with on field benefit...

I just can't be bothered explaining something that is simple to understand.

The skillset of any of the names I mentioned would benefit any club, just think about it
Sure...

But you don't think Carlton has its own highly talented people that understand our culture, history, are passionate carlton people, members, premiership players, coaches etc.

That more than fill the same role? Or you dont rate carlton people from the last 50yrs?

blight and matthews similar age as Walls...
Club saw fit to go to Walls when we needed insight into Bolton in 2019....

The current board clearly rate his footy IQ

Why wouldn't they join the board of the club they support if they are highly credentialed?

I've met a few Directors types here and there. They seemed to be doing it for status, name dropping, resume padding. You'd want to be sure they are in it for the right reasons.

We know players that supported one club, played for another, coaches too.

But that aside, I agree that, as you say, it can be status positioning

Take Bartel, on the board of GWS, but derives his money from the media

If anyone, genuinely wanted to add value to the club, we shouldn't hamper the transition

Arr0w, I have asked your reasoning specifically behind those names... how can I or anybody else know what your thoughts on these people are?

I just want to know what value you see them adding off field, because we already know you don't think board members have anything to do with on field benefit...

Blue, I am sure you can work out what value Paul Roos (example only) could add to our on field, if he was entrusted with having direct responsibility of footy operations as a board member, yeah?

If you can't, that's fine, just move on

Sure...

But you don't think Carlton has its own highly talented people that understand our culture, history, are passionate carlton people, members, premiership players, coaches etc.

That more than fill the same role? Or you dont rate carlton people from the last 50yrs?

blight and matthews similar age as Walls...
Club saw fit to go to Walls when we needed insight into Bolton in 2019....

The current board clearly rate his footy IQ

You want the best people, no matter where they played and coached

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue, I am sure you can work out what value Paul Roos (example only) could add to our on field, if he was entrusted with having direct responsibility of footy operations as a board member, yeah?

If you can't, that's fine, just move on

I can. This isn't about what I can see... it's about what you can see...

You have clearly stated that you believe the board don't have any impact on field:

Our current on field position has nothing to do with the board.
Tell me how Pratt and Matho influence the on field

So, right now, what do you think of our dysfunctional board, given we are winning comfortably against the Saints. Can you see it has absolutely no effect on output?

Now you're advocating for people to join because you believe they will improve us on field...

Make up your mind, it's one or the other...

Like I've said, there's pros and cons to it...

Personally, if someone wants to come in and have a say in how our club operates, I'd like that person to have at least shown some loyalty and commitment to the club prior to being put in that position.

This pretty much opens a gateway for them to bring anyone in and if they put the club in a bad spot, sure we can get rid of them, but the damage will be done.

Besides, we've shown that we are heading in the right direction off field anyway... that's with the 2 year rule, so why get rid of it?

I can. This isn't about what I can see... it's about what you can see...

You have clearly stated that you believe the board don't have any impact on field:

Now you're advocating for people to join because you believe they will improve us on field...

Make up your mind, it's one or the other...

I am very clear what I think, say and believe and that doesn't change.

So if you can see the benefits, why ask ?

No need to reply, I think we are done here

You potentially limit the talent pool to 1/18th, if you only want carlton people, ex player, coaches and ask the other 17/18ths to wait 2 years, which the won't

Was Hardwick less effect as a coach of the Tigers even though he played for 2 different clubs, same with Clarko. Was Goddard a less effective player for Saints or * even though he was a Blus Supporter

The proposal, or at the very least, that amendment will be voted in, it makes sense

Interesting news out of Collingwood moving from an EGM to an AGM and Browne no longer supports Galbally legal action on membership disclosure. Wonder what’s triggered that change of heart? Corporations act issues re:adequate membership records? Browne and Korda disputing over how many positions are being spilled at AGM but at least there is a dialogue.

Perhaps we could also avoid the EGM outcome by having some dialogue between the parties!

You potentially limit the talent pool to 1/18th, if you only want carlton people, ex player, coaches and ask the other 17/18ths to wait 2 years, which the won't

Was Hardwick less effect as a coach of the Tigers even though he played for 2 different clubs, same with Clarko. Was Goddard a less effective player for Saints or * even though he was a Blus Supporter

The proposal, or at the very least, that amendment will be voted in, it makes sense
You dont seem to grasp the difference between a unpaid board member and a paid staff member.

Paid roles within the club, i am comfortable with getting the best from whereever they plied their trade...

As per your Hardwick et al examples.

As for the board itself, I totally disagree.
Like i said earlier, if 2yrs is a massive problem, then make it 1yr.

I am very clear what I think, say and believe and that doesn't change.

So if you can see the benefits, why ask ?

No need to reply, I think we are done here

I'll decide if I reply thanks..

You've been carrying on about how the board doesn't have anything to do with on field, now you're advocating that they do.

Make up your mind.

Interesting news out of Collingwood moving from an EGM to an AGM and Browne no longer supports Galbally legal action on membership disclosure. Wonder what’s triggered that change of heart? Corporations act issues re:adequate membership records? Browne and Korda disputing over how many positions are being spilled at AGM but at least there is a dialogue.

Perhaps we could also avoid the EGM outcome by having some dialogue between the parties!
They are still spilling all 7 positions at the AGM. Eddie said EGM at AGM. Concept is to save $200k and avoid the legal challenge.

They are also getting Deloittes in to act as independent arbitrator. Sounds like Collingwood are working together to find a palatable solution

Highly doubt carlton would follow that lead.
We dont seem to be able to engage at all.

Anyways, the EGM threat is related to these constitutional changes being pushed to vote in 3weeks.

Vince is asking for them to be postponed til AGM or at least broken into separate motions.

My understanding is he has reached out to both current and future presidents, neither have responded to enter into dialogue.

Anyone here think thats a good plan, to not engage the leader of your biggest coterie and a life membet

You dont seem to grasp the difference between a unpaid board member and a paid staff member.

Paid roles within the club, i am comfortable with getting the best from whereever they plied their trade...

As per your Hardwick et al examples.

As for the board itself, I totally disagree.
Like i said earlier, if 2yrs is a massive problem, then make it 1yr.

I grasp it well, no need to be concerned

Being an unpaid position has nothing to do with the calibre of people you should target

Remove this Banner Ad

Back