Discussion Official 2021 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good idea. I’ve already starting putting some thought into it

ill be spending up on defenders I know that. Somehow ended up with none of Lloyd, Laird , Crisp and it really cost me in the end

Is Neale a lock? Or could we get a similar output from someone 50k cheaper?

Need to pay up for 2-3 captaincy options, used a bit of a moneyball approach this year and whilst it got me some bargains, ultimately didn’t have the trustworthy big dog captain options

Good idea. I’ve already starting putting some thought into it

ill be spending up on defenders I know that. Somehow ended up with none of Lloyd, Laird , Crisp and it really cost me in the end

Is Neale a lock? Or could we get a similar output from someone 50k cheaper?

Need to pay up for 2-3 captaincy options, used a bit of a moneyball approach this year and whilst it got me some bargains, ultimately didn’t have the trustworthy big dog captain options
Getting REALLY serious next year ......spending an hour a day at present to construct the most complicated spreadsheet known to man .....God I hope I can understand it afterwards

Trent Sutcliffe has been a Fantasy fanatic for a number of years and managed to navigate the challenging season to beat more than 120,000 competitors to be crowned the 2020 champion.

What was your strategy with your starting line up?
I spent a few hours researching teams and players, listening to the Traders' podcasts and making spreadsheets. I tried to channel my inner Selby (2017/2018 Fantasy Classic winner) and go for rookies and under-priced players who would at least begin the season well. I started with the rookies who would score well, as opposed to other seasons when I chose the cheapest rookies. I think a strategy which worked early and throughout the season was paying up for rookies who have job security and points potential. So, I had Matt Rowell, Jarrod Brander, Tom Green, Curtis Taylor, Lachlan Schulz and Brandon Starcevich. There was value in the rucks, so I opted for Sam Jacobs and Sam Naismith and used the spare cash to go for five value mids in Lachie Neale, Jack Macrae, Tom Mitchell, Patrick Cripps, Stephen Coniglio and Andrew McGrath. I had no confidence in the forwards, so I played it safe and locked in Lachie Whitfield, Christian Petracca, Andrew Brayshaw and Bailey Smith and they stayed in the side throughout.

What were your key moves early on?
The aim after the competition's shutdown was to fix mistakes quickly, which meant Dylan Roberton and Michael Hibberd had to go for Jeremy Howe and Trent Rivers, whilst Sam Naismith went to Darcy Cameron. I also watched time on ground percentages and centre bounce attendances for midfield. I figured I wanted to limit players who were drifting to 70 per cent time on ground, which was why I could never bring myself to trade in Hugh Greenwood as he always spent a massive amount of time off the ground in one quarter of a match which meant his scoring was capped between 70-85. The key move early was navigating the vice-captain and captain options. I was able to captain Neale or Macrae most weeks which covered some of my early disasters like playing Fisher McAsey on ground. This reinforced a lesson for me early, fix errors quick (i.e. when I brought Devon Smith in for one week and he got 47) and take a look at a rookie first and don't be afraid to buy them in the second week like a Rivers, Lachlan Sholl, Jake Riccardi or Damon Greaves. Although it meant I couldn't get Caleb Serong.

What were the best trades you made?
I was wanting to channel my inner Selby and Calvinator's 'Scale of Hardness', that is chose a player the week before you think others will want him and if they play an easy team, like North Melbourne or Adelaide than go for it. Round 11 became the perfect storm for this. Max Gawn (RUC, $920,000) to Oscar McInerney (RUC/FWD, $444,000) based on Stefan Martin being injured and Brisbane playing Western Bulldogs. I thought he should score at least 60 which is probably going to be more than my M8 which was Marlion Pickett. This meant by round 11 my M8 was Coniglio and I hoped to just focus on the other lines. Marlion Pickett (MID, $442,000) to Taylor Adams (MID, $775,000) based on Adam Treloar being out and Adams' scoring without Treloar. My round 11 trade - William Hamill (DEF, $286,000) to Jackson Thurlow (DEF, $481,000) - was to take advantage of Thurlow's 80 from the previous week in his upcoming bye and I needed to sell Hamill after he got knocked out the previous round.

No real strong thoughts yet but a few things i am pretty set on

Cripps - Will not be in my round 1 team, no matter what i am not getting sucked in.
Rucks - I will be paying up in the rucks, i say it every year but i am not having to shuffle my team around after 3 weeks again to try and fix a ruck mistake
Dusty no go - Whether he keeps forward status or not i am not touching him, he is a good name but that is all from a fantasy perspective. Too unselfish to be a dominate fantasy player, like an anti pig or something.
Lloyd the lock - Enough said... He is just a shameless seagull and no one has any interest in stopping him from doing it so i will have to start him.

No real strong thoughts yet but a few things i am pretty set on

Cripps - Will not be in my round 1 team, no matter what i am not getting sucked in.
Rucks - I will be paying up in the rucks, i say it every year but i am not having to shuffle my team around after 3 weeks again to try and fix a ruck mistake
Dusty no go - Whether he keeps forward status or not i am not touching him, he is a good name but that is all from a fantasy perspective. Too unselfish to be a dominate fantasy player, like an anti pig or something.
Lloyd the lock - Enough said... He is just a shameless seagull and no one has any interest in stopping him from doing it so i will have to start him.
Cripps will be enticingly priced ......get him in B4 he's inevitably injured

Lloyd will drop in price no question ......upgrade option

Heppell :thumbsu:

Newman :thumbsu:

Gawn and ROB in rucks

Cripps will be enticingly priced ......get him in B4 he's inevitably injured

Lloyd will drop in price no question ......upgrade option

Heppell :thumbsu:

Newman :thumbsu:

Gawn and ROB in rucks
Shoulder reco has me concerned on Cripps already.

Lloyd will probably drop but you could be waiting a while for it. Points v cash debate is a tough one.

Anyone touching Rowell at the price he will be? Will get a discount but won’t be cheap.

Shoulder reco has me concerned on Cripps already.

Lloyd will probably drop but you could be waiting a while for it. Points v cash debate is a tough one.

Anyone touching Rowell at the price he will be? Will get a discount but won’t be cheap.
Nah Cripps will be fine, absolute lock to average 110 because I can never pick him again. Just like Parker, just like Guthrie. My spuds just haunt me and it never ends and it's not fair.

Hopefully next season is back to normal for all us fantasy goers. Don’t think I can survive another season of the rolling lockouts.

Few interesting names I’ll be following over the pre season. Couple players had some very poor seasons compared to previous years and other, like Neale conveniently dropped in price the last few weeks of the season.

Could be some good value in the Mids next year.

Neale: Peaked at 956k and finished on 778k
Yeo: Started 762k, finished 646k
Cripps: Peaked at 768inished at 651k
Gaff: Peaked at 875k, finished 747k
Dunkley: Started at 824k, finished 697k
Heppell: Started at 696k, finished at 579k
Taranto: started 835k, finished 647k

Think they all present good value for under priced premo Mids if they recover from their injuries/poor year (Except Neale). Think the short qtrs really affected the likes of gaff and Dunkley. Hopefully if we return to normal length games and playing at home as normal, there is lots of value there.

Then we have Grundy who had a pretty average year by his standards. Peaked at 922k and finished at 757k. Hasn’t been that cheap for years.

Add in Charlie Curnow retuning next year. Will be heavily discounted after missing all of this year. Priced at 482 this year but after not playing a game and only averaging an injury affected 65 in 2019, could be a bargain for a 75 average.

Jeremy Cameron is another interesting one whose scores dropped significantly this year. Started the year priced 649k, fell to 428k. After averaging 87 in 2019, can he return to that after his 51 this year (about 70 normal scoring)

and last one, Ziebell. Terrible year with injury/form. Priced fell from 666k to 357k. Will he be back next year pushing out regular 80+ games with more mid time again like last year?

Perhaps Sloane as well if he returns to fitness. Not too sure what his deal was this year if his body can’t cope anymore or just an unlucky year, but was his worst averaging year since his second season. Dropping from the previous few years going at 90-105 mark and dropped to 60 (80ish).

Roll on 2021 and hopefully some better luck!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully next season is back to normal for all us fantasy goers. Don’t think I can survive another season of the rolling lockouts.

Few interesting names I’ll be following over the pre season. Couple players had some very poor seasons compared to previous years and other, like Neale conveniently dropped in price the last few weeks of the season.

Could be some good value in the Mids next year.

Neale: Peaked at 956k and finished on 778k
Yeo: Started 762k, finished 646k
Cripps: Peaked at 768inished at 651k
Gaff: Peaked at 875k, finished 747k
Dunkley: Started at 824k, finished 697k
Heppell: Started at 696k, finished at 579k
Taranto: started 835k, finished 647k

Think they all present good value for under priced premo Mids if they recover from their injuries/poor year (Except Neale). Think the short qtrs really affected the likes of gaff and Dunkley. Hopefully if we return to normal length games and playing at home as normal, there is lots of value there.

Then we have Grundy who had a pretty average year by his standards. Peaked at 922k and finished at 757k. Hasn’t been that cheap for years.

Add in Charlie Curnow retuning next year. Will be heavily discounted after missing all of this year. Priced at 482 this year but after not playing a game and only averaging an injury affected 65 in 2019, could be a bargain for a 75 average.

Jeremy Cameron is another interesting one whose scores dropped significantly this year. Started the year priced 649k, fell to 428k. After averaging 87 in 2019, can he return to that after his 51 this year (about 70 normal scoring)

and last one, Ziebell. Terrible year with injury/form. Priced fell from 666k to 357k. Will he be back next year pushing out regular 80+ games with more mid time again like last year?

Roll on 2021 and hopefully some better luck!
A lot of value in the forward line amongst a lot of blokes priced 600k~ I just don't trust.

For what its worth, I like Isaac Heeney is Daniher gets to the Swans. No need to play forward of Buddy, Blakey and Daniher are taking care of business up forward.

A lot of value in the forward line amongst a lot of blokes priced 600k~ I just don't trust.

For what its worth, I like Isaac Heeney is Daniher gets to the Swans. No need to play forward of Buddy, Blakey and Daniher are taking care of business up forward.

I think I’m going to try and save myself the pain of picking players like Heeney who I go for every year in the hope he’s about to become a mid, only for him to stay exactly the same. Odds are, the year I don’t pick him he will become a top scoring mid

I think I’m going to try and save myself the pain of picking players like Heeney who I go for every year in the hope he’s about to become a mid, only for him to stay exactly the same. Odds are, the year I don’t pick him he will become a top scoring mid
Okay make sure you don't pick him then...I'm on board ;)

Question is, what will the format look like? Is it going to be 28 rounds like the AFL suggested? Will it go back to 22? And how will the quarters look? 16 minutes, 18 or back to 20? Surely if we get 28 rounds, which means more mid week games, does that mean Fantasy becomes a permanent rolling lockout ( :sick: ) ???
Have I missed an announcement on all this stuff, or is it still being decided?

Question is, what will the format look like? Is it going to be 28 rounds like the AFL suggested? Will it go back to 22? And how will the quarters look? 16 minutes, 18 or back to 20? Surely if we get 28 rounds, which means more mid week games, does that mean Fantasy becomes a permanent rolling lockout ( :sick: ) ???
Have I missed an announcement on all this stuff, or is it still being decided?
The AFL wants to wipe off any debt within 2 years .....that means more footy, more concessions to TV

Last I heard, somewhere 18-20 minute qtrs .....probably 24 games, and apparently another festival of nightly footy matches ......so there will be a min 2 weeks of rolling lockouts

But details are still to be firmed up .....we're just being "conditioned" to potential changes ATM

I'm interested to see how they navigate the likely lack of rookies, do they make all new draftees 170k regardless of where they were picked?

If I was picking a team tomorrow then I'd have a few locked in such as Lloyd, Macrae and Rowell. Think I'll try following in the footsteps of the GOAT (Moreira's Magic) and go for value in the ruck department.

Keen to post up a few finals ponderings/scores.
I started Haynes this year on the back of impressive finals scores.

For those glad we're done for the year,
Some defenders still frustrating (score wise)
Tom Stewart 56
Dan Houston 47

A little watch list and starting team I've thrown together quickly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201008-105301_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20201008-105301_Samsung Notes.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Screenshot_20201008-105305_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20201008-105305_Samsung Notes.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 189
Does anyone know how the discounting will work?

If a guys played 8 games do they still get a 6% discount from their previous 2 year best avg

8 games for me equates to 10 in a 22 game season compared to a 17 game season this year. So if some guys played 8 games but didn't go too well would be very cheap.

Hasn't been much noise about it. Seems to be staying to the 10 game threshold

The games all about value I see some nice cheap options down back next year

Zac Williams - seems a lock with midfield minutes
L.Whitfield - Seems slightly unders

Rucks youd think Brodie Grundy seems an under priced premo but pies are starting to lose their fantasy ways. Could be worth being different and not starting

Also what was the salary cap this year 12.8 mill or 13 mill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back