Official Andrew Symonds Thread

Is Andrew Symonds Australia's best ever ODI all-rounder?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvs is not an all-rounder

One thing with Harvey is that he should be considered as a bowler at international level. A bowler who could bat really well on his day, but primarily as a bowler.

Then we'd be happier with him, because he can still bowl a quality spell.

Re: Harvs is not an all-rounder

Originally posted by bluechampion
One thing with Harvey is that he should be considered as a bowler at international level. A bowler who could bat really well on his day, but primarily as a bowler.

Then we'd be happier with him, because he can still bowl a quality spell.

From cricinfo.com

ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 09/04/2002)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting 43 32 8 429 47* 17.87 85.80 0 0 13 0

O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 345.4 18 1626 47 34.59 4-28 1 0 44.1 4.70

I think most of us will agree he is not up to scratch compared to the current talent available for Australia.

What do you think of Bracken & Williams though? Very reasonable back up to our main strike bowlers me thinks.

Hooks and bowlers.

Hookes: England ruined Harvey
By MICHAEL GLEESON
23jan03

ENIGMATIC all-rounder Ian Harvey had cost himself his Australian career by playing in England, Victorian coach David Hookes said yesterday.

In a frank assessment of his talented star, Hookes said Harvey had lost his matchwinning ability with bat and ball.
He said county cricket had prematurely aged Harvey and cost him long-term.

With Victoria well placed to play in the Pura Cup final, the controversial coach laid it on the line to his senior player.

"Harvey has got to stand up, got to step up. Decisions will be made on players at the end of the year, and you go for the old standard line 'every player is in the same boat'," Hookes said.

"But Harvey's lack of matchwinning ability for us is of huge concern to me."

In four Pura Cup matches this summer, Harvey has made 217 runs at 36.16 with a top score of 74. He has bowled 117 overs for seven wickets at 45.7 with best figures of 2-22.

Hookes said the concern over Harvey as a matchwinner had cost him at the top level.

"I think that is a real concern, but at the end of the day that is quite simply why he is not in the World Cup," Hookes said.

"Him going to Gloucester has cost him his Australian career. He does not have the zip he used to four years ago, he has not got the sparkle in his eyes, his body - instead of being four seasons old, it's eight seasons old.

"You can get lulled into a false sense of your form in England, and sometimes players look at the short-term financial rewards.

"I don't think he gave himself his best chance of playing for Australia long-term by taking regular short-term contracts with Gloucester."

Hookes said he was disappointed that in the recent loss to Tasmania Harvey let slip a chance to win the match. Getting out on 74 letting a ball go, for the second time in the match, when the side needed him, stung.

"I am not sure when the last time was Harves won a game for Victoria with the bat," Hookes said. "With his talent and skill, that is a disappointing factor."

Hookes said Harvey was not in danger of being dropped, but he needed to realise his importance to the team as a senior player with finals approaching.

"I want to know where that screaming yorker is. That one that zips past the batsman?" Hookes said.

"The disappointing part for me has been his lack of matchwinning ability with the bat. But also for the bowling expertise Harves has, he has not produced."

---------

Interesting views from Hookes. I tend to agree.

On Bracken and Williams
- Williams is a bit of a wally, but not a bad bowler. He's keen to field off his own bowling, too, but not as keen as Bichel. Nonetheless, that's a good sign.

- Bracken I like. He's got a weird action, and he tends to surprise batsman. Being a leftie is abig advantage for him (although being a Vic i would prefer Inness).

How was Harvey so close to getting a World Cup spot? Obviously he and Blewett must spill the drink tray too often whilst on 12th man duties:D

Originally posted by Wicked Lester
The position of Symonds occupies in the squad is that of the second all rounder.
I would've thought now that he may be the 3rd allrounder behind Watson and Hogg (but why the hell he got a game today i have no idea)

I think he got a start because Bracken made way for Warne and the playing of the 2 leg-spinners, and Watson was ill or injured, can't remember which the commentators said now. More for team balance, I'd say. If Bracken had have stayed in, together with Warne, the tail would have looked a little too long.

And yeah, I know we didn't need them as batsmen anyway, but that's looking at it with hindsight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he was a little unlucky I reckon with how he went out in the match currently going.

He went for a drive and it came slow and I beieve it was also a slow ball.

I have been most impressed with Symonds this WC tour. He seems to have changed his approach and doesn't try to just smack it out of the park everytime.

He looks a bit suspect early at times, but most batsman do, but once he makes 30 odd he takes control of the game. He takes the 1s and 2s and gives the opposition few chances and then picks it later in the innings.

SKC

On past evidence Symonds was a hack as I stated

however - good luck to him - he has been superb in this tournament

Australia have been blessed that if one player fails another will step up.

Only one last mountain to climb.

Is Andrew Symonds the single biggest waste of natural talent in cricket?

Surely there is not a man in the world with as much talent as him who has so often underachieved and is not even considered a chance to ever play Test cricket for his country.

Then, on the other hand if he was from another country he may well have played 30 or 40 Tests by now. I would say both the West Indies and England (the 2 other countries he could have chosen to play for) could do with a dynamic fieldsmen (the best in the world, bar none, overall), hard hitting batsmen (admittedly very inconsistent hard hitting batsmen) and a handy change bowler.

The reputation he created in county cricket before becoming a Queensland regular, probably had something to do with it.

Unfortunately, IT'S COUNTY CRICKET where some very mediocre players have amassed some pretty handy records.

Maybe expectations and results would have been treated more on their own merits, if he wasn't touted as a batting whiz-kid before his Shield career had even started.

is he allowed to change the country he wants to play for? I'd love for him to come and play for England. He would really add something especially in the field where we are basically hopeless.

Originally posted by lufc618
is he allowed to change the country he wants to play for? I'd love for him to come and play for England. He would really add something especially in the field where we are basically hopeless.

Once you play international cricket for a country (ODI's included) you have to wait 4 years from your last game to play for another side that you are eligible. So, yes, he could play for the West Indies or England, but, it is highly unlikely.

Back