Official Andrew Symonds Thread

Is Andrew Symonds Australia's best ever ODI all-rounder?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by lufc618
is he allowed to change the country he wants to play for? I'd love for him to come and play for England. He would really add something especially in the field where we are basically hopeless.

Andrew Symonds loves his cricket, but his main love is the outdoor Australian way of life. There's no way he'd leave Australia, even to play Test Cricket.

I think Symonds is starting to realise his potential. A couple of match-winning knocks in the World Cup and he is still only 27-28. Admittedly, will never play Test cricket but will be more than handy in the one day game over the next few years.

I hope he does continue to improve in coming years cos he's got the talent. Remember Hayden wasn't too popular until he starting going ballistic at test level few years ago.

If Symonds has a good January, I actually wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks a spot on the Sri Lankan Test squad. Especially after our fielding this summer, plus he can bowl a bit. I wouldn't play him in the top 6 now, but as a bowling all-rounder, play him at 8 and he could be more valuable than playing MacGill as a 2nd spinner on a spin friendly wicket (assuming Warne plays).

I actually think he will play test cricket soon or eventually - don't forget, he's Ponting's lovechild...

Symonds and Pointing are buddies, no dought about that. For example i think we were playing New Zealend in the Tri-series in India. Pointing brings on Symonds as the first change bowler. He then takes 0-58 off 10 overs while Harvey takes 1-14 off 4. Now common sense would say bowl Harvey, but he didn't.

Symonds gets a free ride, i have no doughts about that.

Originally posted by Go_Doggies
Is Symond's bowling really up to test match standard?

No. I must admit he has been able to improve his one day bowling though.

Personally, I never really understood the hype, until he finally came through in the world cup.

Many people say that, but anyone that has actually seen him play and hit the ball as clean as he hits it soon changes their mind. Look, I am not trying to say that he should be playing Test cricket, in fact far from it. I am just saying that with the talent he has he could be a great international player as opposed to a fringe ODI player.

Cupido13 surely you have forgotten the recent world cup in south africa? Symonds showed us why we have persisted with him. I loved the way he stood up to Younis when he bowled those beamers.

Originally posted by GoEagles
Cupido13 surely you have forgotten the recent world cup in south africa? Symonds showed us why we have persisted with him. I loved the way he stood up to Younis when he bowled those beamers.

Look, don't get me wrong. I am Andrew Symonds biggest fan (I drove up to QLD to get his autograph a couple of weeks before I went to England to play cricket, and carried it in my pocket every time I played as good luck). All I am saying is, I wanna see him play Test cricket and I don't think I will get the chance due to his constant underachieving. No one was more excited than me when he starred in the World Cup, and personally, I think he had a big claim for Australian Player of the Tournament, but one tournament does not make a Test Cricketer, it hardly even proved that he will be a ODI star of the future. He needs to start averaging 45 - 50 in Pura Cup, and consistently make big scores in the one day game.

Symonds is on 62 from 80, and saving the Aussies along with Clarkey, lets hope he keeps this form up all series and then into next Pura Cup season somehow!!!

In answer to the original question

Under Waugh YES

Under Ponting NO. Punter for some reason has got the best out of him, in the same way Waugh got the best out of Hayden and Langer when they were on the scrapheap. I just like the Symonds attitude towards England. Could have played 40-50 tests for England and taken the easy option but chose to try and get in the Aussie side knowing it would be twice as hard, that attitude no doubt has held him in high regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The man who wins us the World Cup (for without him the flogging Pakistan was about to give us would have scuttled our World Cup quest), and then wins us the game today... lots of eating humble pie required by posters.

Have a look at the records of many of the "greats" in cricket, and you'll see it takes time to make your mark. Even Waugh and Dravid took their sweet time to impress. Give the guy a break, his fielding alone averages 20-30 runs saved per game, which makes his contribution to every game as good as anyone elses.

Always been a big fan of Symonds.

A genuine player, that gets results. Being in the team as a hard hitter you can't expect the guy to save you at 5/100. He is adding that to his armoury but as a kid you couldn't expect too much from him.

Experience makes the big time players. Steve Waugh himself was no less than rubbish for his first 20-30 tests. More of a bowling all rounder than a batsman. Considering he was rubbish for his last 20-30 tests, one could say he had a balanced career.

NO NO NO! You're all wrong.

Andy Bichel won Australia the World Cup with his performances against Kenya, Namibia and England... BigFooty says so... Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Will Symonds every play test cricket

Just a little thread i originally posted on the 16/1/04, it is good to see my question is going to be answered very soon by the selectors.

I would think that he has to be some possibility. He has matured a hell of a lot as a cricketer. Would be devastating if he continues to grow as a batsmen. Good bowler and brilliant fielder. What are your thoughts. Could he wear the baggygreen one day?

He has the ability to play any sort of cricket...be it Kanga cricket, one dayers or Tests...however he doesn't seem to go so well at the longer form of the game. He would be a great inclusion to the team...but you cannot pick a Test team based on one dayer performances.

Pity, but he just doesnt seem to adapt too well to the longer game.

Back