BigFooty Official Official BigFooty Phantom Draft - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order

1. Adelaide - Elijah Hollands
2. North Melbourne - Riley Thilthorpe
3. Western Bulldogs - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (matched bid)
4. Sydney - Logan McDonald
5. Hawthorn - Denver Grainger-Barras
6. Gold Coast - Will Phillips
7. Sydney - Braeden Campbell (matched bid)
8. Essendon - Archie Perkins
9. Essendon - Nikolas Cox
10. Essendon - Nathan O'Driscoll
11. Port Adelaide - Lachie Jones (matched bid)
12. Adelaide - Finlay Macrae
13. GWS - Tanner Bruhn
14. North Melbourne - Zac Reid
15. Fremantle - Heath Chapman
16. Collingwood - Reef McInnes (matched bid)
17. GWS - Oliver Henry
18. GWS - Jack Carroll
19. Collingwood - Eddie Ford
20. Richmond - Brayden Cook
21. Melbourne - Zavier Maher
22. Melbourne - Blake Coleman (unmatched bid)
23. GWS - Errol Gulden (unmatched bid)
24. St Kilda - Sam Berry

25. Adelaide - Caleb Poulter
26. Adelaide - Tom Powell
27. Hawthorn - Jackson Callow
28. Brisbane - Max Heath
29. Gold Coast - Alex Davies (pre-listed selection)
30. Melbourne - Fraser Rosman
31. Fremantle - Brandon Walker (matched bid)
32. GWS - Tom Highmore
33. North Melbourne - Joel Western (unmatched bid)
34. Carlton - Bailey Laurie
35. Richmond - Jack Ginnivan
36. Carlton - Brodie Lake
37. North Melbourne - Oliver Davis
38. Adelaide - Kaine Baldwin

39. Essendon - Liam McMahon
40. Hawthorn - Luke Edwards
41. Hawthorn - Zane Trew
42. Sydney - Shannon Neale
43. Hawthorn - Connor Downie
44. Western Bulldogs - Isiah Winder
45. Geelong - Kalin Lane
46. Brisbane - Jake Bowey
47. Western Bulldogs - Corey Durdin
48. Fremantle - Liam Kolar
49. Fremantle - Finn Gorringe
50. Brisbane - Conor Stone
51. Port Adelaide - Zac Dumesny
52. Richmond - Josh Treacy

53. West Coast - Luke Pedlar
54. Richmond - Maurice Rioli Jnr (matched bid)
55. St Kilda - Jackson Cardillo
56. Essendon - Cody Brand (matched bid)
57. Collingwood - Tariek Newchurch
58. St Kilda - Max Pescud
59. Collingwood - Ollie Lord
60. Sydney - James Borlase
61. Collingwood - Ryan Angwin
62. North Melbourne - Malachy Carruthers
63. Port Adelaide - Phoenix Spicer
64. Gold Coast - Joel Jeffrey (pre-listed selection)
65. Carlton - Charlie Lazzaro
66. West Coast - Max Holmes
67. Geelong - Cam Fleeton

Preseason Draft

1. Adelaide - Jackson Hately

Rookie Draft

1. Adelaide - Henry Smith
2. North Melbourne - Seamus Mitchell
3. Sydney - Dominic Bedendo
4. Hawthorn - Jackson Ramsay
5. Gold Coast - Rhys Nicholls
6. Essendon - Josh Eyre
7. Fremantle - Hugh Dixon
8. Carlton - Riley Holder
9. GWS - Nick Stevens
10. Melbourne - Callum Park
11. Western Bulldogs - Ewan MacPherson
12. West Coast - Jack Avery
13. Collingwood - Taj Schofield
14. St Kilda - Connor Ballenden
15. Brisbane - Carter Michael
16. Port Adelaide - Matthew Allison
17. Geelong - Patrick Walker
18. Richmond - Campbell Edwardes

Last edited:
He’s the ideal pick for us at 3 imo. I’d be over the moon.

He might be, but it doesn't mean he has slipped anywhere.

Thilthorpe is rated so much higher around AFL circles than on this website, I guarantee you that.

I think if you took a straw pole among AFL clubs it would be a 50/50 split between he and McDonald.

There's no guarantee McDonald will even be a better full time forward than Thilthorpe at AFL level, then you take into account his ability in the ruck.....

Thilthorpe is a genuine AFL size at 200/100, elite speed and agility for a big guy which will enable him to get separation against the athletic freak backman getting around these days in Andrews/Moore etc. He also has the ground ball ability of a midfielder.

McDonald has some question marks on his athleticism at AFL level imo. Endurance only gets you so far.

They are fairly even prospects imo especially when you factor in Thilthorpe has been playing injured for the previous 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Adelaide bid on Lachie Jones Port NGA

giphy.gif

Pick 12: Adelaide – Finlay Macrae
Pick #12 Adelaide - Finlay Macrae 186cm 74kg Oakleigh Chargers

I feel Macrae is a tad underrated around the traps, have seen him right down in some phantoms into the 30's and this low would be almost crazy for mine.

He's a footballer and a smart one at that, hard running, fast thinking and always moving, like a jack in the box, just pops up, knows where to run and dual sided - skills much better than given credit for also. Naturally, he will be compared against his brother and whilst he won't have the same size, he will have better pace and skills, stronger burst, sound overhead, perhaps not as strong defensively as his brother but Jack wasn't the best early on either and now is a very good tackler. Finlay can win his own ball, but be really strong on the spread outside and keeps that forward hunch and balance, he thinks in AFL patterns which I'm confident will see him adapt pretty quickly.

Main concern would be his physical composition, his defensive prowess and scoreboard impact but all 3 of those can be coached. Finlay likely to be just as big of a ballwiner as Jack but better skills for mine. Currently #8 on my board.

Now I nearly took Ford here as I do like him but thought there may be half a chance he was there at #22 but not to be. Bruhn was the other choice, but I did not want to go Bruhn after taking Hollands and have my best two picks with serious body concerns. I also feel Bruhn's lighter frame may cop more of a pounding and take longer to settle at AFL level to the style he plays. He's got more class than Macrae but I feel his AFL impact from his junior career will be diluted more than Macrae's.

Last edited:

He might be, but it doesn't mean he has slipped anywhere.

Thilthorpe is rated so much higher around AFL circles than on this website, I guarantee you that.

I think if you took a straw pole among AFL clubs it would be a 50/50 split between he and McDonald.

There's no guarantee McDonald will even be a better full time forward than Thilthorpe at AFL level, then you take into account his ability in the ruck.....

Thilthorpe is a genuine AFL size at 200/100, elite speed and agility for a big guy which will enable him to get separation against the athletic freak backman getting around these days in Andrews/Moore etc. He also has the ground ball ability of a midfielder.

McDonald has some question marks on his athleticism at AFL level imo. Endurance only gets you so far.

They are fairly even prospects imo especially when you factor in Thilthorpe has been playing injured for the previous 2 seasons.

Logan McDonald = Bo Callahan

Pick 11: Port Adelaide – Lachie Jones (bid matched)
Lachie Jones

186cm, 89kg, Medium Defender

Well what can you say about Lachie Jones. Port fans have been awaiting his arrival for over 12 months and will be stoked to get him here. He is a medium defender who looks like he should be a pretty no frills type player, but when digging deeper you see just why he is rated so highly.

The nuts and bolts of it is he is a more than capable shut down defender who plays tall, plays strong and excels at being able to stop his oppopnent. But then you watch him play a bit more and you see his huge kick, you see how aggressive he can be with the ball and there is a fair bit of x-factor there as well. Not only does he show really good pace but he's a huge leap as well, winning the SANFL Mark of the Year. It was the SANFL where he shone this year, playing all season for WWT's league team and playing in their premiership, a fair achievement for an 18 year old. His intercept work can be first class and we will be hoping for some midfield scope as well. He is a plug n play defender, who given his size will be ready to go from Round 1 next year. His recruitment will add some depth to the defensive group and allow someone like Dan Houston to move more full time into the midfield.

Pick 13: GWS GIANTS – Tanner Bruhn
I wasn't expecting to be able to say this, and he's not the highest on my list but I reckon he's got the least chance of being there at my next one

Pick 13 - GWS Giants

Tanner Bruhn
Geelong Falcons
Midfielder/ General Forward
183 cm 74 kg

GF-Tanner-Bruhn.jpg

I'll be completely honest I had written off Tanner being available at any of my picks. I've recently been re-watching some footage and one kid that has jumped up as a favourite of the draft for me is Tanner. It's not often you find a guy that can win inside and outside ball, whilst hurting opposition with their disposal like Tanner does so consistently, and despite not being gifted with speed it's his composure, that as a lazy comparison can come across Pendlebury-esque, that allows him to get away from opponents with ease and make every disposal hurt.

If anyone has any doubt about how good this guy CAN be, watch his game against Dandenong Stingrays in 2019, not a massive game stats wise bu there isn't a single disposal wasted, not a single tackle not applied strongly, not a single second where you can fault his workrate or game sense.

The durability side of him is a slight concern I'm happy to admit, but his best to date is up there amongst the top 5 of this draft, and if all goes right I can realistically see Tanner being a better prospect than some of the more highly spoken about mids of the draft.

I see him starting Round 1 as long as he stays healthy, as a general forward, and gradually increasing midfield time to make a good trio with Taranto and Green for a good 5 years.

he also looks great in orange
tanner bruhn.jpg

giantroo don't select the player I want at 14 cheers

Last edited:
Lachie Jones

186cm, 89kg, Medium Defender

Well what can you say about Lachie Jones. Port fans have been awaiting his arrival for over 12 months and will be stoked to get him here. He is a medium defender who looks like he should be a pretty no frills type player, but when digging deeper you see just why he is rated so highly.

The nuts and bolts of it is he is a more than capable shut down defender who plays tall, plays strong and excels at being able to stop his oppopnent. But then you watch him play a bit more and you see his huge kick, you see how aggressive he can be with the ball and there is a fair bit of x-factor there as well. Not only does he show really good pace but he's a huge leap as well, winning the SANFL Mark of the Year. It was the SANFL where he shone this year, playing all season for WWT's league team and playing in their premiership, a fair achievement for an 18 year old. His intercept work can be first class and we will be hoping for some midfield scope as well. He is a plug n play defender, who given his size will be ready to go from Round 1 next year. His recruitment will add some depth to the defensive group and allow someone like Dan Houston to move more full time into the midfield.

There's a bit of Mark Ricciuto about him for mine, the hardness, the build

There's a bit of Mark Ricciuto about him for mine, the hardness, the build

Does he have foot in mouth disease too?

Pick 14: North Melbourne – Zac Reid
Pick #14 - North Melbourne

Zac Reid
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
Key Position Utility
202cm/ 82kg

Couldn’t believe Reid was still here and I’ll snap him up here to replenish the club’s KPP stocks. Zac Reid is the perfect utility that is versatile and athletic. Occasionally used in the ruck and in the forward line, the 202cm Reid was most comfortable in the defensive zone providing composure, interception, marking/ spoiling ability and elite kicking skills. Reid is considered one of the better disposers/interceptors in this year’s draft pool and gets some comparisons with Collingwood’s Darcy Moore.

He would need to add some size to his slight frame but there are no worries about his aggression or his footballing ability.

He would fit nicely with the likes of McKay, Tarrant and Corr in the defensive half.

You're up Ysaye

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting to be able to say this, and he's not the highest on my list but I reckon he's got the least chance of being there at my next one

Pick 13 - GWS Giants

Tanner Bruhn
Geelong Falcons
Midfielder/ General Forward
183 cm 74 kg

Write up to come

giantroo don't select the player I want at 14 cheers
hopes were definitely not high, but was secretly wishing for him to be forgotten about.

hopes were definitely not high, but was secretly wishing for him to be forgotten about.
has snuck back into my top 10 on rewatching so I'm stoked, I mentioned recently on the GWS board I wouldn't hate to see us trade to an Essendon pick for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are fairly even prospects imo

I definitely agree in regards to Thilthorpe and McDonald.

I don't think McDonald is the sure thing he's being made out to be. He certainly has the runs on the board, but he isn't without fault. Whereas with Thilthorpe, it seems like sometimes people are looking for ways to mark him down - perhaps they are scared off by guys like Wright, Patton and Boyd and group Thilthorpe in with them because of his height. But he's certainly got them all beat for athleticism.

Essendon Pick 10
Nathan O’Driscoll
Perth/WA
187cm 78kg
Inside Midfielder/Utility
Thunderstruck
Love this pick. Fell in love with him in the Champs last year. Admittedly haven't watched as much of him this season for obvious reasons but his hardness and defensive efforts is something I really rate.

Pick 15: Fremantle – Heath Chapman
hmmm...sorry but I am going to play a straight bat this time....

Pick 14: Heath Chapman
West Perth
Defender / General Utility / Key Position

Pros:
  • Good football brain, good positioning and reading of play
  • Good mark both contested and uncontested
  • Good size (~192-194cm) coupled with above average athletic ability
  • Good skills by foot
  • Arguably has the skills and athletics profile to play any position other than ruck
  • Work rate and consistency is good, consistently got good possession numbers
Cons:
  • A touch small as modern KP players go
  • Does not have raw speed - relies more on intelligence and agility to get a break on opponent.
  • Unproven in any other role other than defence
  • As a defender doesn't match a need for the team (Fremantle) being drafted to

hmmm...sorry but I am going to play a straight bat this time....

Pick 14: Heath Chapman
West Perth
Defender / General Utility / Key Position

Pros:
  • Good football brain, good positioning and reading of play
  • Good mark both contested and uncontested
  • Good size (~192-194cm) coupled with above average athletic ability
  • Good skills by foot
  • Arguably has the skills and athletics profile to play any position other than ruck
  • Work rate and consistency is good, consistently got good possession numbers
Cons:
  • A touch small as modern KP players go
  • Does not have raw speed - relies more on intelligence and agility to get a break on opponent.
  • Unproven in any other role other than defence
  • As a defender doesn't match a need for the team (Fremantle) being drafted to
I get the feeling you were hoping he wasn't available.

The pick right before his first pick aswell, for shame

I did weight up bidding on Reef as well; probably features around this spot I think?
This is higher end of his range I'd say, had you gone for who I expected I would've locked in Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back