Wayde Mills

Details:
Club: Southport
DOB: 29 August 1987 Hgt: 196cm Wgt: 88kg
Position: Centre Half Back
Natural Foot: Right

Rhan Hooper

AIS AFL Academy
Small outside midfielder with pace. Likes to carry the ball and kicks long into the forward line.

DOB 1/9/1988
Club Ipswich
School Bundamba Secondary College
Year level 2004 11
Height 175.0ms
Weight 65.6 kgs
Favourite AFL club Brisbane, Fremantle
Favourite position Half forward flank
Player most likely to play like Jeff Farmer
Other sports Athletics, basketball

Joel Patfull

Height :187 cm
Weight: 84 kg
Date of Birth:7 December 1984

Disappointed about missing out on Lucy.
A suncoust lion, all australian full back surely we could have got him instead of hooper or palfull.

Hooper is a gun.
Good to see we picked up 2 local boys.
Good to see the Academy is a viable option for local kids, they now see the hard work gets them a shot at local AFL.

We need a running Fly type player, we have sorely missed that type this last season.

Does not look too bad all in all.

Wayde Mills is a good pick up, as too Clark seems to be.

A bit strange we would invest in Austin Lucy through the Suncoast Lions and then let him go when we could have got him at 56. Even Michael West might have been worth a go, dodgy knee and all.

Having said that, our first two picks were of the larger types, and maybe they did not want to go in too top heavy.

Now bring on the pre-season

Would have gone for Lucy with 56. Added insurance in defence, and then we'd have 2 tall defenders learning the game for a few years to take up the reigns when Leppa and Mal move on.

Is it just me, or does Clark have a bit of Spaanderman about him already? Tall CHF/Ruck from WA... Lets hope this one works out.

Not one of our best drafts at all. We basically drafted someone who is a CHF or a Ruck? There the two positions we dont need! Very disappointed we didnt pick up Lucy. Wow we need a CHB of the future, he's the all australian this year, and he's from Qld! And we could have got him at 56? very disappointed. As good as last years draft seemed at the time, this one looks bad.

Vidman said:
As good as last years draft seemed at the time, this one looks bad.
How do you know? Have you got a crystal ball?

Future options for the CHB/FB

Re: CHB of the future. Pat Garner
Re: FB of the future Mills
Current prospects for the above roles on the rookie list: Pask and Hamill.
Also have an opportunity to get some rookies as well.
Don't forget the Irish lads. Groomed for defensive roles.

Joel Patfull http://69.93.149.226/users5/vlsg/index.cgi?board=Bris&action=display&num=1131760785

irel said:
How do you know? Have you got a crystal ball?

Future options for the CHB/FB

Re: CHB of the future. Pat Garner
Re: FB of the future Mills
Current prospects for the above roles on the rookie list: Pask and Hamill.
Also have an opportunity to get some rookies as well.
Don't forget the Irish lads. Groomed for defensive roles.

Joel Patfull http://69.93.149.226/users5/vlsg/index.cgi?board=Bris&action=display&num=1131760785

I dont know, and neither do you. I'm just giving my immediate reaction. At this time last year, I was very confident that we had drafted very well. Wood was a bargain down at 18(?) and Sherman too sounded great. We combined getting excellent value with future needs.

To me in this draft we have possibly only one good pick that fits those categories and that is Mills as CHB (according to reviews on him). Mitchell Clark to me is a wasted pick, not because he wont be very good, but because he's primarily a CHF and we have a certain JB who will fill that role for the best part of ten years. Not down on the kid, but CHF is not one of our needs and we've spent no.9 on a position we dont need. Now if they have plans to turn him into a FF or FB then fine, but even so its a strange pick to choose someone so high, who had never played the position.

The other two draft picks are unkowns to me, cant see the listed anywhere on the draft sites so it seems those are a bit of a reach. Again who knows how they will turn out, but they dont seem like great picks today. Not when people like Lucy were available.

I know people will say that theres no way you can tell so soon, but to me the only honest reaction is the immediate one - otherwise a year or two later you say "ah always knew that was a good pick".

Just my opinion Vidman, but I do disagree with 9 being a wasted pick.

CHF imo is possibly the most valuabe and hard to fill position on the field. Having a backup for Brown (should this kid reach his potential) is preparing for the future. Imagine if we'd had a CHF, even a raw one at that, when Brown went down this year? The last 3 games might have not been so bad.

tapestry said:
Just my opinion Vidman, but I do disagree with 9 being a wasted pick.

CHF imo is possibly the most valuabe and hard to fill position on the field. Having a backup for Brown (should this kid reach his potential) is preparing for the future. Imagine if we'd had a CHF, even a raw one at that, when Brown went down this year? The last 3 games might have not been so bad.

True tapestry true, but to me its just to high to be drafting a backup, unless they turn him into something else. Anyone who knows him think he could turn into a FF? Obviously he'd have to be a big Lynch like one, or is he a future Mal Michael/big defender?

Maybe I overreacted when i said it was 'wasted' , maybe I should rephrase it to say 'not a priority' - Nothing against the lad, and I will follow his progress keenly, but we had many other needs than a CHF. Unless we're going to play Brown more in the middle again! (shudder) or maybe we play Brown more at FF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I for 1 am really getting sick of some ppls obsession with Lucy.
Of all clubs surely we have by far the best sighter on him.
Im prepared to back our recruiters over any others (who also seemed sheepish in selecting him).
Perhaps it's the fact that some here continued to pick him with our 1st round pick in phantom drafts, that they are trying to save face.
Good luck to the kid, but please can some here get over themselves we obviously preferred Mills & went that way.

I was rapt to get Clark.
If he develops as hoped a forward line containing himself & Jonathan Brown in full flight would be scary.
The other thought is that due to injury Browny did spend a lot more time closer to the goal square. Clark in years to come may provide the luxury of this versatility up forward in the future.

I still can't believe the audacity of ppl being critical without these guys having played. Impossible to please some!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Captain Charisma said:
Hooper worries me, he wants to be like Jeff Farmer

No, he plays a bit like Jeff Farmer. The AFL/AIS profile is not a questionnaire. Seems like we've been through this before at some stage.

As for Clark, I'm happy if they felt he was the best available. Besides, anyone who thinks Browny is going to be able to play at CHF for his whole career is dreaming - his body will be giving him the warning signs in the next few years. Clark may be able to hold down FF anyway.

Hooper I'm surprised at as I thought he may got through to the rookie list. But we obviously feel we need a lightning crumbing forward a la Lovett, Davey.

Thought 25 was a bit over the odds for Mills, but again if that's who we wanted then better to pick than gamble.

Would have preferred to take West or Lucy with the last pick, but I don't know Patfull's story, so I'll have to trust the football department's judgement on that. I'd say he'd only be on a one-year contract (guessing) so if he doesn't work out it's no great biggie and we clear the spot for next year touted "super-draft" (I don't really know if the draft next year will be super, that's the indications at the moment). If we took a young fella we'd have to hold on to him for two years minimum.

My verdict: B-. Of course we won't know until further down the track, but I've got a general "meh" feeling to these selections.

Here's the Lions take on things from the Media Release today:

LIONS GO BIG AND LOCAL IN NATIONAL DRAFT

The AAPT Brisbane Lions have gone big and local in the 2005 National Draft, choosing two key position prospects, including Mitchell Clark at No. 9, and a pair of Queensland junior representatives.

The Lions used all four available picks, snaring East Fremantle's Clark with the first of them, followed by Queensland under 18 captain Wayde Mills (No. 25), exciting Ipswich product Rhan Hooper (No. 41) and Norwood's Joel Patfull (No. 56).

The news of his selection by the Lions was greeted with excitement by Clark, who had a meningococcal disease scare earlier in the week.

"It was just a bit of a scare during the week but it is great to get this opportunity and it will be great to get back into things," Clark said.

"I'm up and about and back at home and walking now and feeling pretty good."

The Lions received medical assurance that Clark's health scare would have no lasting ramifications and recruiting manager Kinnear Beatson was glowing in his praise of the youngster's potential. Clark has the frame of a prototype key forward, standing 198cm and weighing in at 91kg

"He played all three levels at East Fremantle last year - seniors, reserves and colts - and, even though he probably had a bit of an up and down year, he has a lot of potential and we see him as a dominant key forward of the future," Beatson said.

Mills also has plenty of size about him at 195cm and 88kg. The Queensland skipper, who actually comes from Lennox Heads in northern New South Wales, won All-Australian selection at the 2005 national under championships and also impressed with his speed, agility and endurance at September's Draft Camp in Canberra. The 18-year-old picked up an AFLQ premiership medallion playing for Southport last season.

"Wayde is a kid with a big body who plays in defence and he's shown the ability to play on men (at AFLQ level)," Beatson said.

"He's strong, he's quick, he's got good endurance and he's a local product. He's got the type of body that will allow him to play straight away."

The second Queenslander selected by the Lions was Hooper, another member of the 2005 Queensland under 18 side. The 177cm pacy small forward/midfielder is only slight and does not turn 18 until January but he was another to catch the eye at the Draft Camp.

"Rhan played a little bit with Mt Gravatt this year and he's an AIS graduate who toured Ireland. He's a bit of a character and a good kid," Beatson said.

"If you were going to compare him to anyone, you'd say he was in the Craig McRae ilk - he chases hard and is a good tackler."

Patfull, who was formerly rookie-listed at Port Adelaide, won't need a tour of the players' area at the Gabba - he has spent the last three weeks training with the Lions aiming for consideration in the draft.

The 20-year-old's hard work paid off this morning when he was taken at No. 56 and Beatson says his versatility will be an asset.

"Joel turns 21 in December and has been recommended by Graeme Wright, our forward scout who is now involved in our recruiting network," he said.

"He'll help us out with our need for a third tall defender and he's another one whose body is ready to play."

A record total of six Queenslanders were selected in the draft, one more than in 2004. Morningside's Courtenay Dempsey was the first of them, joining Essendon as the No. 19 pick. The others were Mills, Sam Gilbert (No. 33, St Kilda), Hooper, Michael West (No. 57, Western Bulldogs) and Austin Lucy (No. 66, Essendon).

Travis Baird, who came of the Lions' rookie list to play two senior games last season, was drafted by the Western Bulldogs at No. 46.

I can honestly say I am completely ignorant of who these players are, and have absolutely no idea of their value.

However Beatson has been doing this for a while now, and is highly regarded, so I have some faith that there have been some good decisions made.

The Flying Belgian said:
My verdict: B-. Of course we won't know until further down the track, but I've got a general "meh" feeling to these selections.
TFB, my first reaction was also MEEEHHHH, could have done better. However upon closer examination I am warming to our selections.
No one can say at this stage how our picks may turn out. All could turn out to be duds. Much the same as our picks in the super Judd/Ball/Hodge draft.
They could also turn out to be champions.

Mitchell Clark was the obvious choice. Only four months ago he was the "number one" rated youngster in the country. He slipped down the order as a result of a poor national championship for WA. However he has been the top pick since he was a 15 year old. To pick someone else because of a perceived "We don't need another tall" is folly. The philosophy with the first pick is always "The Best Available" irrespective of need or lack thereof. All good judges say that CHF is the hardest position to play, therefore to find good players for the position is the most difficult task in Footy. When you have the opportunity to pick one you don't let it slip through your fingers and regret it for ever after. I'd rather gamble on a CHF than die wondering.

Mills is an AA and was a captain of the QLD team at the Nationals. His story is one of determination, perserverence, dedication and sacrifice. Beatson's assesment indicates that he may be ready to play seniors as early as next season. He certainly fills that area of need for us. Finding replacements for Leppa and Mal. We were always going to pick up a potential KPP with our pick 25. Obviously Kenear felt that Mills was a better option than Lucy. Remebering that Bower, the other option had already gone. Once Mills was picked Lucy was never a chance for our list. Selecting him would have meant we would be Top Heavy in talls and very unbalanced as a team.

Initially my reaction to picking Hooper with our third round pick was a feeling of disappointment. I felt we could have done better. However upon reflection I think Hooper is quite a good choice. This is the "Murphy" pick and I think picking someone from left field with a bit of character and flair adds to the versatility of the team. I'd love him to succeed, if only because we should have had MM with this pick.

As far as Joel Platful, read The Flying Belgian's analysis. It's spot on. I concur. The likely scenario is; He has been given one year to prove himself. If he does prove himself than Kenear is a genius. If not, no big deal. We will have to make room for next year's "Mother of All Drafts" anyhow.

Now that the draft is over we have the NAB Mug in February to keep us interested.

This is what the afl.co.au fastasy draft had to say before the draft about our first two picks, including who they thought would pick them.

Pick 9

7 - ESSENDON - Mitchell Clark
(East Fremantle), 19 October 1987, 198.1cm, 91.3kg

Essendon is always an intriguing player at any draft and this will meeting will be no exception. As Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn have already had two selections, the Bombers will be eager to see if any of the top six slides through. There is no doubt if Ryder is available, the Dons will gladly drape him in red and black, but he must first get past Carlton and Hawthorn first, which at this stage seems unlikely. Geelong's Daniel Stanley - a strong link, Oakleigh's Beau Dowler, Murray's Marcus Drum, Jones, Higgins, Muston and Pendlebury have all been tossed around for the Bombers, but Clark is also right up there. Earlier in the year, Clark was touted by some recruiting experts as a potential No.1 draftee, yet he is widely regarded as a top-10 or first-round draftee. Richmond, Brisbane Lions, Fremantle, Western Bulldogs and West Coast will also be monitoring his whereabouts. And despite incredibly being struck down with the potentially life-threatening meningococcal disease just this week, he is expected to make a full recovery and it is believed this should not hinder his rating. A tall, agile, strong-marking forward/ruckman, Clark was a joint-winner of the Sheehan Medal in the 2002 NAB AFL under 16s championships. He was also a promising volleyballer.

Pick 25

33 - ST KILDA - Wayde Mills
(Southport), 29 August 1987, 195.1cm, 87.9kg

St Kilda enters this year's meeting at No.33 and will be hoping for a genuine slider to fall through from the late teens or early 20s. Mills will come into St Kilda's calculations, but it is believed has also attracted interest from the Brisbane Lions, Port Adelaide and Adelaide. An imposing, key defender Mills possesses genuine presence and led Queensland in this year's under 18 championships. He was also rewarded with All-Australian status. He had a terrific Draft Camp, finishing first in the running vertical jump (90cm), while he displayed speed and endurance. His 10.12 minutes in the three-kilometre time-trial was exceptional for his size.

well it seems like we went in there looking for some bigs - a key forward and a key defender were obviously the top priorities

maybe they thought lucy was superfluous after picking those two...who knows?

sounded like a promising key defender though...maybe we'll pick up he and and Dempsey in a few years on the 'go home' factor...would be nice to get some going our way one day

hooper sounds like an exciting sort of player but i don't know anything about joel patfull

have a question though, if he was a rookie from Port Adelaide, couldn't we have picked him up in pre-season draft and still grabbed lucy?

From someone who's seen Patfull play for the last few years I can only say you may have got yourself a bargain there. He's more natural talent than most of the over rated hacks that run around in your hyper inflato mega league or whatever it's called these days. He's held down CHB for Norwood for the last two years but can go forward with devastating results. Incidentally if he ever gets a decent run he will take a few screamers, he's that kind of player.

All we ask is that you treat him well and send him back when you're done. Do it for Pikey.

campbell said:
I certainly trust Kin Beatson.He has got us to where we are today.
The best recruiter in the business by a country mile.

Do I open up this can of worms again?

Did he get us to where we are today? Maybe.

Did he have much of a part to play towards the Premierships? Debatable.

TopsyWaldron said:
From someone who's seen Patfull play for the last few years I can only say you may have got yourself a bargain there. He's more natural talent than most of the over rated hacks that run around in your hyper inflato mega league or whatever it's called these days. He's held down CHB for Norwood for the last two years but can go forward with devastating results. Incidentally if he ever gets a decent run he will take a few screamers, he's that kind of player.

All we ask is that you treat him well and send him back when you're done. Do it for Pikey.

Absolutely correct. Joel Patful, give him some time and you could find youself with an absolute STEAL. The kid has genuine talent and skills, might need a bit of patience with him but he could end up a pretty decent player for you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back