Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW AFL ROUND 19 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns Saturday July 23rd at 7.10pm @ the GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't think there's all that much between Oscar and Fort but Oscar is bigger and higher in the pecking order. Fort's handy to have on the list.
Cross fingers but our ruck stocks this year are looking way better than last year
We were all dreading an injury to Oscar would be disastrous in 2021.
At least we have a good replacement in Fort this year. And Fullarton is looking better and more versatile with a years more experience

However 2021 ended up being injuries to key forwards that was our undoing
Hippy out with an ACL then McStay (0 disposals) injured very early in 1st final.
Then his replacement Payne (3 disposals) going down very early in the 2nd final
That left us with Oscar + 1 KPF in Joe + Fullarton F/R for both finals. No wonder we lost both those games

In 2022 McStay is looking much better than when Jo had to ruck for a lot of the time last year

I love to see a chart of frees for and against each club per ump.
Say Fisher be right up there against lions. Not sure what we did to him :)

He's an ex-Saints player.

He may have been in their team when we were good and they were shyte .

Johnno Brown or the Scott brothers probably said BOO! to him.

At least it is not Nicholls
I've to wash my mouth after this, but Nicholls looks far better to No.12. There was a game No.12 power trip was unbearable.. I think it was Zorko who said something to him and he kept paying frees all the way to the F50. "Arms out, 50m mate" for Harris Andrews, McCluggage penalized for rushing from outside the box, this Umpire follows rulebook with a fine tooth comb against us.

I'm concerned about the returning injured players. Adams has a terrible, hopefully former, record and Zorks and Rich are getting on in years. Berry having a week off might be good for his shoulder I must admit.

Let's win and these blokes don't have a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm concerned about the returning injured players. Adams has a terrible, hopefully former, record and Zorks and Rich are getting on in years. Berry having a week off might be good for his shoulder I must admit.

Fagan said except for Adams they could have all played against the Giants but they gave them an extra week off to be ultra cautious so they have already had additional time off than the norm.

I am actually hoping that the week off/2 weeks since his last game is actually a good thing for Adams.
Has been struggling for a while, once again, like Bailey, since he had Covid.
So hopefully a little re-set that could only be a good thing for Marcus, hopefully he will show a bit more energy and get back to where he was earlier in the season when he was marking everything.

Cross fingers but our ruck stocks this year are looking way better than last year
We were all dreading an injury to Oscar would be disastrous in 2021.
At least we have a good replacement in Fort this year. And Fullarton is looking better and more versatile with a years more experience

However 2021 ended up being injuries to key forwards that was our undoing
Hippy out with an ACL then McStay (0 disposals) injured very early in 1st final.
Then his replacement Payne (3 disposals) going down very early in the 2nd final
That left us with Oscar + 1 KPF in Joe + Fullarton F/R for both finals. No wonder we lost both those games

In 2022 McStay is looking much better than when Jo had to ruck for a lot of the time last year

I don't mind Big O's selection as he's bigger and more experienced with our midfield core.

But Big O needs to give a hand in clearances as well and throw his frame around at the bottom of the packs. Chase the ball for a change and not leave it to Neale. Fort gave very good support last round in this area, Big O needs to mirror that or do better than him.

I don't mind Big O's selection as he's bigger and more experienced with our midfield core.

But Big O needs to give a hand in clearances as well and throw his frame around at the bottom of the packs. Chase the ball for a change and not leave it to Neale. Fort gave very good support last round in this area, Big O needs to mirror that or do better than him.
Oscar always seems to win his fair share of clearances.

Oscar always seems to win his fair share of clearances.

Yep stats show that but from what I've observed he can be a bit erratic. Hit outs to no particular area, sometimes tap it straight down to his feet or straight to opposition etc. Don't get me wrong, Oscar was lethal last few rounds in 2021 before finals when he was taking on and beating high quality ruckmen from other clubs. I haven't seen him do it with that level of authority in 2022 yet.

Yep stats show that but from what I've observed he can be a bit erratic. Hit outs to no particular area, sometimes tap it straight down to his feet or straight to opposition etc. Don't get me wrong, Oscar was lethal last few rounds in 2021 when he was taking on and beating high quality ruckmen from other clubs. I haven't seen him do it with that level of authority in 2022 yet.
I agree with his taps, often taps it straight down an oppos throat but he can also tap some beauties to the outside to Neale on occasions, you can’t fault his effort though.

Purple has hit the nail on the head,
I was a bit sceptical with the decision not to send him in for surgery.
History has shown that Joe doesn’t play at his best when struggling with any sort of injury.

brisbane.jpg

IF ..​

Joe Daniher started the 2022 season very nicely ...

THEN ...​

the shoulder injury sustained in round seven has clearly significantly set him back. Having nowhere near the impact since. 19 goals from six games to start the year, seven from five after returning.

Purple has hit the nail on the head,
I was a bit sceptical with the decision not to send him in for surgery.
History has shown that Joe doesn’t play at his best when struggling with any sort of injury.

brisbane.jpg

IF ..​

Joe Daniher started the 2022 season very nicely ...

THEN ...​

the shoulder injury sustained in round seven has clearly significantly set him back. Having nowhere near the impact since. 19 goals from six games to start the year, seven from five after returning.

I'm not concerned. Joey just needs to get back to basics and will be fine. I have no doubt he has an eye on finals and will build to peak around then.

I'm not concerned. Joey just needs to get back to basics and will be fine. I have no doubt he has an eye on finals and will build to peak around then.
I will admit that he has had his chances since returning. It feels like he has kicked a lot of points (haven’t checked the stats) a lot of posters too. That’s one area where he is struggling is his set shot kicking which has gone backwards since returning. He was very good early in the year.

I've to wash my mouth after this, but Nicholls looks far better to No.12. There was a game No.12 power trip was unbearable.. I think it was Zorko who said something to him and he kept paying frees all the way to the F50. "Arms out, 50m mate" for Harris Andrews, McCluggage penalized for rushing from outside the box, this Umpire follows rulebook with a fine tooth comb against us.
Also I remember Dizz marking a Hugh kick on the defensive 50 which just went 15m which he called play on and Dizz got tackled straight away. Paid holding the ball and De Goey kicked the goal.

I will admit that he has had his chances since returning. It feels like he has kicked a lot of points (haven’t checked the stats) a lot of posters too. That’s one area where he is struggling is his set shot kicking which has gone backwards since returning. He was very good early in the year.
He doesn't play like he's 100% , just doesn't have the same freedom we'd seen before . It's too late now to do anything till the off season. He's actually not far away ,just not as sure with his marking and his kicking has deteriorated enough to influence the outcome.

Can't get back to basics of you can't raise you arm or run freely or contest a possession because of an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back