Preview Round 17 - Brisbane Lions v West Coast Eagles - Saturday 8 July 2023 1:45 PM @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know.

If you want to point out where I've got it wrong just tell me.
Your analysis and posting are 100% correct. Logic impeccable. Football knowledge, unimpeachable.

The last game Gunners played, it was on Sicily. He had full license to roam and grab every intercept ball available and paid basically zero respect to Gunston.

Ended with 32 touches, 9 marks and a BOG performance. Gunston had 6 possesions and 0 goals.

It's not only the quick players that will play on him and 'run off' him its also the intercepters who are confident in breaking up other play.

I would give him a chance because as we said, if he is still cooked in 2-3 weeks then we write him off for the year. At least we know before round 21 if he is able to play and contribute. Otherwise Fages would have just picked him in R21 and Gunston plays a few games and then every final.

Other coaches would have just not selected him and been 100% ruthless but we just know that Fagan was always going to get him back in the side at some point. Better earlier than later.

I have never got the angst about posting styles/opinions, we are a forum for robust discussion, nothing I have ever read on here has got me riled up, even if an opinion is diametrically opposed to mine I don't see the point of getting offended or going after the poster.

Just have a laugh, use some facetiousness/sarcasm/humour and enjoy the banter.

Yet we have beaten the premiership favourites comfortably as well as the team ranked 4th, one spot behind us. I know both of those wins were when Gunston was in the team but our run has certainly looked better without him in the last few weeks. Our backline is probably functioning now better than it ever has and as long as we make correct calls at the selection table and don't drop players who are excellent runners for players who are liabilities when the ball isn't in hand, we are absolutely a great chance to win it this year. What seems to have stopped us previously is defensive run and our mids being outmuscled. This years we have been able to fix both issues.

This year I don't think the quality of teams is quite the same as previous years. In previous years Port, Geelong, Richmond, Throwdogs and Melbourne have constantly been at the top with a chance to win, but when I watch the teams this year, I see only Port and Collingwood as the top teams.

We lost to Port in a stinker and we've beaten Collingwood at home.

Now Port could do what Port does and flop, which is entirely possible, but at the MCG I don't like our chances against Collywobble. For whatever reason, unlike other teams who don't play at the G very often, our gameplan has not worked well there.

The last game Gunners played, it was on Sicily. He had full license to roam and grab every intercept ball available and paid basically zero respect to Gunston.

Ended with 32 touches, 9 marks and a BOG performance. Gunston had 6 possesions and 0 goals.

It's not only the quick players that will play on him and 'run off' him its also the intercepters who are confident in breaking up other play.

I would give him a chance because as we said, if he is still cooked in 2-3 weeks then we write him off for the year. At least we know before round 21 if he is able to play and contribute. Otherwise Fages would have just picked him in R21 and Gunston plays a few games and then every final.

Other coaches would have just not selected him and been 100% ruthless but we just know that Fagan was always going to get him back in the side at some point. Better earlier than later.
I like, I think others aren't worried about Gunners being in against the Eagles, it won't be a factor in winning of losing this game. What worried me is that we give him an extended run while he isn't producing, specifically in his defensive run.

With Melbourne, Geelong and Collingwood coming up in our next 8 games I would prefer that we don't give him that many weeks if there isn't a noticeable improvement in his movement tomorrow. We also have Freo who's speed could cause us an issue and they've beaten us a few times recently. An extra loss in the run home could be the difference between playing Port in Adelaide/Collingwood away vs Port or Collingwood at home. If we were to win all our games (hard but possible) and Port or Collingwood drop a couple (one of them will drop at least one game when they play each other), we could be playing one of Melbourne/Bulldogs/Saints/Adelaide/Essendon/Geelong at home.

This year I don't think the quality of teams is quite the same as previous years. In previous years Port, Geelong, Richmond, Throwdogs and Melbourne have constantly been at the top with a chance to win, but when I watch the teams this year, I see only Port and Collingwood as the top teams.

We lost to Port in a stinker and we've beaten Collingwood at home.

Now Port could do what Port does and flop, which is entirely possible, but at the MCG I don't like our chances against Collywobble. For whatever reason, unlike other teams who don't play at the G very often, our gameplan has not worked well there.
It's wide open from 4-13 covered by 3 games.
I think it is wide open from 1-3 as well. Collingwood have only dropped 2 games but they have been run right down to the wire quite a few times and IMO haven't been as dominant as the media has made them out to be. We have dropped at least two games we shouldn't have as well (Hawthorn and Adelaide). I'm not sure that it is gameplan related, as has been discussed and dissected here, the dimensions of the gabba are quite similar to that of the MCG. But we have turned in some poor performances there recently.

It's wide open from 4-13 covered by 3 games.
I think it is wide open from 1-3 as well. Collingwood have only dropped 2 games but they have been run right down to the wire quite a few times and IMO haven't been as dominant as the media has made them out to be. We have dropped at least two games we shouldn't have as well (Hawthorn and Adelaide). I'm not sure that it is gameplan related, as has been discussed and dissected here, the dimensions of the gabba are quite similar to that of the MCG. But we have turned in some poor performances there recently.
Port also play the Magpies in 2 weeks so one will lose there, keep winning and we are still a big chance for top 2 and a home QF.

I have never got the angst about posting styles/opinions, we are a forum for robust discussion, nothing I have ever read on here has got me riled up, even if an opinion is diametrically opposed to mine I don't see the point of getting offended or going after the poster.

Just have a laugh, use some facetiousness/sarcasm/humour and enjoy the banter.
Exactly. I've been giving it to Gunners since before he got here.

I think maybe now it's time to give up.

We tried to bully the club into seeing reason , but he's bounced back like a toy balloon.

It would actually be awesome if he's had some injury issue and could get back near where he was .

I still think I'd prefer Ah Chee.

But I'd prefer Ah Chee to nearly all of them.

We tried to bully the club into seeing reason , but he's bounced back like a toy balloon.

It would actually be awesome if he's had some injury issue and could get back near where he was .

I am with you on Gunston and I think the majority on here are as well... I would love to be proven wrong and for Gunston to hit near his peak career form but I just don't see it happening, particularly defensively.

Port also play the Magpies in 2 weeks so one will lose there, keep winning and we are still a big chance for top 2 and a home QF.

There’s no way port don’t drop a few games between now and end of season. Otherwise they’ll be releasing their version of the streak on dvd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am with you on Gunston and I think the majority on here are as well... I would love to be proven wrong and for Gunston to hit near his peak career form but I just don't see it happening, particularly defensively.
Don’t worry about defensively. The number one aim is to kick a goal or 2. I thought if you couldn’t get a kick against Hawthorn you may as well give it away, well here we are, I reckon I could get a couple of cheapies this week, at least get a couple of Joe the Gooses, surely it can’t be that hard this week.

So do you think that if maybe our mids had actually won the ball in that game, Gunston would have been free somewhere to take advantage.

My issue was the black and white thinking going on, not necessarily the opinions themselves.

I agree that I think Gunston may not have been the best idea to bring in, I liked the way the team looked with 2 talls.

But I also realise that 1) the selection committee probably know more than any of us do in terms of form/fitness, and 2) Gunston is not going to be the difference between us winning or losing the flag. Melbourne won a flag without a functioning forwardline for goodness sake.

Realistically the uptick in form over the past few weeks has very little to do with Gunston not being in the team, and much more to do with the players being switched on and a lack of complacency that saw us lose the hawks game. Wait till he plays before you melt.

Last edited:
yep few pages of good melts, someone threatened to push Nunez down the stairs for supporting Fagan's selection, Gunston got called a few names like not a third tall, not a goal kicker, can't mark over his head, Fagan's pet came straight back etc. Also we finally worked out Nunez is Chris Fagan.
Mods, I think we can delete basically every other post in this thread. We have our winner.

McCrae just said on TV that they're still figuring out the best forward makeup for their side, mix of talls and smalls etc., same with us, it's not locked in for the rest of the season just because he's back in this week. If he does nothing I'm sure he'll be back out. We have to be ruthless if we want to be pushing for a Grand Final appearance.

The furore over the Jack Gunston selection has taken a lot of spotlight away from the other ins for this game, I am particularly looking forward to see what role they give James Madden and how he goes... it will probably be Wilmot to the wing and Madden back but I wouldn't mind seeing Madden in the wing role, has had stints in that position in the reserves from my viewing of the reserves.

A fit and firing Dayne Zorko would be a huge inclusion for us heading into finals as well.

The furore over the Jack Gunston selection has taken a lot of spotlight away from the other ins for this game, I am particularly looking forward to see what role they give James Madden and how he goes... it will probably be Wilmot to the wing and Madden back but I wouldn't mind seeing Madden in the wing role, has had stints in that position in the reserves from my viewing of the reserves.

A fit and firing Dayne Zorko would be a huge inclusion for us heading into finals as well.

I’d be keen to see Madden at wing. He’s certainly got the speed for it, maybe not the disposal efficacy but can’t hurt to try. Added bonus of leaving Wilmot in the back where he’s excelling

So do you think that if maybe our mids had actually won the ball in that game, Gunston would have been free somewhere to take advantage.
At the ground it was really noticeable there was no synergy or plan going forward. We dominated clearances (+20) but there spread from defence and outside run burnt us.

To be honest it was kind of weird because a lot of the time Gunston was the long down the line target at half forward, instead of Daniher or hipwood. The spacing was completely off and no synergy between leading patterns.

They had him leading on the wings, half forward line and also leading from the pocket.

There were a lot of passengers that day but Gunston couldn’t get close to even halting a contest.

Our mids did a good job finding Sicily
The whole team should bear the brunt of that loss

But if we had been able to plug a couple of gaping holes we might've gotten away with it.

Past history . Fairly galling to lose those 2 games to that opposition but we're still a clear 3rd on the ladder with not too bad a draw and it's in our own hands now as to where we go from here . Unless Port falls right away it's hard to see us making top 2 but if we keep winning it's quite possible.

At the ground it was really noticeable there was no synergy or plan going forward. We dominated clearances (+20) but there spread from defence and outside run burnt us.

To be honest it was kind of weird because a lot of the time Gunston was the long down the line target at half forward, instead of Daniher or hipwood. The spacing was completely off and no synergy between leading patterns.

They had him leading on the wings, half forward line and also leading from the pocket.

There were a lot of passengers that day but Gunston couldn’t get close to even halting a contest.
That's what completely did my head in . Going to the guy who couldn't get warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back