Preview Round 17 - Brisbane Lions v West Coast Eagles - Saturday 8 July 2023 1:45 PM @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the AFL's preview of our game this week:

1688533477635.png

Looks like the Eagles have come back in since the image going around of them at $51 earlier in the week, after an initially non-miserable start against the Saints before collapsing to ensure their procession to Harley Reid continues apiece.

Here's some Fox Sports snippets:

We are hopeful the Eagles will put up a serious fight - and no-one would begrudge them giving up a massive score given their issues. But it is one of the most stark contrasts between an offensive powerhouse and a leaky defence we have seen in years.

So what exactly will happen when the very movable object comes up against an irresistible force?

As of 4pm Thursday, Pointsbet had Brisbane as unbackable $1.01 favourites, with West Coast drifting from $15 out to $17 to win.

The line - which is kind of like their predicted margin - is 72.5 points, meaning you would get $1.90 odds for Brisbane to win by 73 points or more.

According to an AFL odds database, West Coast’s $17 price to win is the equal-longest over the last three and a bit seasons - heading into Round 5 last year, North Melbourne was at one stage $17 to beat Geelong at GMHBA Stadium. (The Cats won 77-47.)

To get longer odds, you have to go back to Round 23 of 2018, when Gold Coast was $21 to beat Geelong at GMHBA Stadium. (The Cats won 142-40.)

Wait, what's the date on that article? 2022? It's Groundhog Day all over again - except somehow this time the Eagles are at longer odds. And for context, last year was a comfortable 75 point win.

I'm not sure what to add to this to make the game sound more interesting? Maybe leaving some footage of an older upset win in this on-going battle, that should hopefully let people know that anything can still happen and to not be complacent.

I think if we were playing without all of Charlie, Linc, and Ah Chee, we'd need to bring in at least two genuine small forwards to cover them (not midfielders playing up forward).

Lohmann is obviously one, but I think Blake Coleman, Brain, or even McDowell White Jr would probably have to be the other - unless Cockatoo is fit.

This is the AFL's preview of our game this week:

View attachment 1729370

Looks like the Eagles have come back in since the image going around of them at $51 earlier in the week, after an initially non-miserable start against the Saints before collapsing to ensure their procession to Harley Reid continues apiece.

Here's some Fox Sports snippets:

Wait, what's the date on that article? 2022? It's Groundhog Day all over again - except somehow this time the Eagles are at longer odds. And for context, last year was a comfortable 75 point win.

I'm not sure what to add to this to make the game sound more interesting? Maybe leaving some footage of an older upset win in this on-going battle, that should hopefully let people know that anything can still happen and to not be complacent.

Boys sing the song a bit quicker than that these days.

Sounds like there is a question mark on Bez getting up for this week too.
Linc - Suspension
Cal Ah Chee - concussion
Dunks - calf
Charlie - teeth
Bez - unsure at the minute
Payne will be right to play.

Fortunately we have the 8 day break.

This looks like a good opportunity for a few players to show their wares .

They'll all be really keen so can't see us not winning comfortably.

We are the worst team in the comp when it comes to expected wins to performance. I wouldn't be resting anyone who isn't injured.

Always have been.

I think our team is really considerate, we drop ourselves to the poor team's level to make it a tight contest and test Lion's supporter's heart rate.

Linc - Suspension
Cal Ah Chee - concussion
Dunks - calf
Charlie - teeth

Will we have 23 left to field this week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can't beat the Weagles with 5 changes (3 forced, 2 optional) we are just not up to it.
Most thought we wouldn’t have any trouble with Essendon last year either and that was with 9 changes or whatever it was.
Pretty much cost us a top 4 spot last year.

Most thought we wouldn’t have any trouble with Essendon last year either and that was with 9 changes or whatever it was.

Look at the Weagles, and the Bombers now. Not a comparison.

Linc - Suspension
Cal Ah Chee - concussion
Dunks - calf
Charlie - teeth
What’s the mail re berry?

would put my house on a lions win.

eagles are s**t. probably the shittest team i've seen. Nothing to prove, checked out.
Just setting yourself up for some melts...

All those injuries/Covid outs were to one part of the ground we couldn’t really cover (defence).

I don’t see it this time but equally don’t see us resting players with a couple of changes happening anyway.

Linc - Suspension
Cal Ah Chee - concussion
Dunks - calf
Charlie - teeth
Linc, Cal, Dunks definite outs. Payne to me looks like still impeded, I would absolutely rest him, suspect if ankle not right after three weeks, likely wont be 100%. We have Gardiner on a three year deal with a few VFL games and plenty of AFL experience. This is the perfect week to play Gardiner, at the GABBA against one of the weakest AFL forward lines (especially if Darling is out).

Linc, Cal, Dunks definite outs. Payne to me looks like still impeded, I would absolutely rest him, suspect if ankle not right after three weeks, likely wont be 100%. We have Gardiner on a three year deal with a few VFL games and plenty of AFL experience. This is the perfect week to play Gardiner, at the GABBA against one of the weakest AFL forward lines (especially if Darling is out).
Yes I also forgot about Charlie, must have been in pain last week playing on after the incident. We have good depth so lets utilize it and err on the side of caution to get players as close to 100% for Demons and Cats.

this is a danger game.

not to lose, but to not win by the standards some are setting.

increase a few % points (2 or 3 is good), get no injuries. See how our inclusions play, and focus on our goal kicking accuracy.

Particularly interested in how we do with Dunkley.

A - how we function without him
and B - how his replacement goes in his role? or a different role.

I guess... just don't lose too. even a 1 point win after the siren will do me.. please don't lose..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back