Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW AFL ROUND 19 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns Saturday July 23rd at 7.10pm @ the GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On team selection - We seem to continue to play injured players, must figure 80% of that player is better than 100% of our depth. We've done it with Lachie, Zorko, berry ...

This is the selection choice that I don't agree with, especially early in the season. Injury is a young players opportunity, and they should get that òpportunity.

Also think the club has a duty of care and some injuries shouldn't be played through.

I cringe when I hear about players getting multiple epidurals. Once off maybe, but many for the same issue is serious injury territory. As Archie Smith said in his recent interview, the focus of players is all on getting selected the next week, so they don't consider the next 40 years. They need a safety net, and it should be the team selection process.

On team selection - We seem to continue to play injured players, must figure 80% of that player is better than 100% of our depth. We've done it with Lachie, Zorko, berry ...

This is the selection choice that I don't agree with, especially early in the season. Injury is a young players opportunity, and they should get that òpportunity.

Also think the club has a duty of care and some injuries shouldn't be played through.

I cringe when I hear about players getting multiple epidurals. Once off maybe, but many for the same issue is serious injury territory. As Archie Smith said in his recent interview, the focus of players is all on getting selected the next week, so they don't consider the next 40 years. They need a safety net, and it should be the team selection process.

Weird, I didn't know you're a doctor?

Purple has hit the nail on the head,
I was a bit sceptical with the decision not to send him in for surgery.
History has shown that Joe doesn’t play at his best when struggling with any sort of injury.

brisbane.jpg

IF ..​

Joe Daniher started the 2022 season very nicely ...

THEN ...​

the shoulder injury sustained in round seven has clearly significantly set him back. Having nowhere near the impact since. 19 goals from six games to start the year, seven from five after returning.

Not many in the side have been playing as well in the last 2 months as they were the first

Not many in the side have been playing as well in the last 2 months as they were the first
I know we were winning games but our overall form isn't that much different is it ?

We didn't have Coleman. The actual deterioration has been from guys that have been injured, Zorko , Adams , Daniher , Hipwood came back from injury and been ordinary . I guess you'd say Neale hasn't been as good. Lyons has gotten worse. Cameron and Andrews are probably better. Likewise Berry. McInerny /Fort the same. McCluggage seems a bit better. McStay , McCarthy, Answerth about the same.

Seems a week to week thing with us now. We haven't really looked all that convincing all year.

I know we were winning games but our overall form isn't that much different is it ?

We didn't have Coleman. The actual deterioration has been from guys that have been injured, Zorko , Adams , Daniher , Hipwood came back from injury and been ordinary . I guess you'd say Neale hasn't been as good. Lyons has gotten worse. Cameron and Andrews are probably better. Likewise Berry. McInerny /Fort the same. McCluggage seems a bit better. McStay , McCarthy, Answerth about the same.

Seems a week to week thing with us now. We haven't really looked all that convincing all year.

Yeah probably fair. Just easier opposition mostly plus a couple of shockers against the Hawks and Essendon

The one you didn't mention is Zac Bailey

Actually thinking about it we just had 3 big outliers in the past 2 months; the Hawks, Melbourne and Essendon games. While our best was at a similar level we didn't have those shocking games. Except maybe the Collingwood one.

If we did and we were 5-4, then going 4-4 after that wouldn't have been so surprising

Last edited:
Explains our form to a degree!View attachment 1452792
But we have had Coleman and Hipwood come back. People were complaining that we weren't turning over players enough because we weren't convincing enough.

It's my impression that our form has been reasonably similar all the way through with injuries impacting from mid season . Our best games have been the Swans , Giants after half time , and probably Bulldogs. The worst Melbourne , Hawthorn and Essendon that being heavily injury impacted. I'm excluding NM and West Coast for obvious reasons.

Weird, I didn't know you're a doctor?

Players talk about and carrying injuries, how it is part of the job.

Zorko talked about his earlier this year, and was very fatalistic about whether injuries will decide when he stops playing. Lachie Neale has openly talked about how the injury he was carrying last year impacted in his performance. He mentioned it again in his conversation with Mitch recently. Mitch has talked carrying his back injury and getting epidurals.

Can't see how you missed it.

after all the covid delays im finally getting up tomorrow for my first gabba experience. Keen to see them play a team I have never seen live too.
Got gabba gardens tickets, hopefully theyre good view!
Anywhere around for a beer pregame? I've heard about pineapple hotel?
Cheers lads and go lions

after all the covid delays im finally getting up tomorrow for my first gabba experience. Keen to see them play a team I have never seen live too.
Got gabba gardens tickets, hopefully theyre good view!
Anywhere around for a beer pregame? I've heard about pineapple hotel?
Cheers lads and go lions
The German Club, The Morrison, The Norman, The Brewhouse all walking distance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a difference though between playing through/managing injury and being cleared to play after missing games through injury. Once you miss games, the medical staff are far more cautious about clearing players to play again. A former Lions physio confirmed as much to me.

There's a difference though between playing through/managing injury and being cleared to play after missing games through injury. Once you miss games, the medical staff are far more cautious about clearing players to play again. A former Lions physio confirmed as much to me.

Yep. Zorko re-injury shows has how difficult it is to pick an end point.

Explains our form to a degree!View attachment 1452792

Not all that relevant when you consider we lost 9 players in round 17 alone.
However i am not sure if we are playing any better or worse now than earlier in the year
We just need to break this 9 game W/L sequence with a solid win over the Suns

In round 1 and again this round we did not have many players on the injury lists
So i compared the teams from R1 & R19

Ins from round 1 team..:- Hippy & Mathieson
Outs from round 1 team:- Fort & Cockatoo

Missing from round 19 and round 1 but now considered in best 22:- Kiddy Coleman. Possibly Prior

I would think we should account for the Suns with a near full strength team

Lions by 24+

Fagan: Ready to Prove the Doubters Wrong

Last week we beat the team currently placed 15th on the ladder. Beating the team currently 12th on the ladder ‘at home’ is not really going to prove the doubters wrong. Fagan coming across rattled at the minute. Beating Richmond at the MCG and Carlton and Melbourne at the Gabba would go some way to ridding us of our ‘flat track bully’ / ‘down hill skiers’ tag.

Stunning to think we sit 3rd on the ladder with only 5 games to go and all those players performing the way you review them....we should be bottom 8 not 3rd if you are on the money. Go figure.

Zorko talked about his earlier this year, and was very fatalistic about whether injuries will decide when he stops playing. Lachie Neale has openly talked about how the injury he was carrying last year impacted in his performance. He mentioned it again in his conversation with Mitch recently. Mitch has talked carrying his back injury and getting epidurals.

Can't see how you missed it.

I don't agree with your premise of clubs failing in their duty of care, many people return to jobs they have sustained injuries in that never properly heal.

But what you said of Zorko's fatalism reminded me of something Dermie said once that if he knew how much pain and loss of mobility he would carry in later life then he would have eased up and pulled out of some contests altogether to preserve himself.

Perhaps it's more a cultural issue within the industry of putting the sport/team first and seeing the individual as an afterthought rather than a club level issue. Just look at the vitriol players face when the change clubs for instance, perhaps our adulation is in some ways to blame? Should we as supporters own some of this?

monty-python-im-invincible.gif

Last edited:
Stunning to think we sit 3rd on the ladder with only 5 games to go and all those players performing the way you review them....we should be bottom 8 not 3rd if you are on the money. Go figure.
Tell me which players where you disagree with my assessment as to how they're going now compared to earlier in the year.

You take pot shots at people for something they never said. All the time.

Fagan: Ready to Prove the Doubters Wrong

Last week we beat the team currently placed 15th on the ladder. Beating the team currently 12th on the ladder ‘at home’ is not really going to prove the doubters wrong. Fagan coming across rattled at the minute. Beating Richmond at the MCG and Carlton and Melbourne at the Gabba would go some way to ridding us of our ‘flat track bully’ / ‘down hill skiers’ tag.
How do we go about postponing the game against Gold Coast so we can play either the tigs or the blues this week?? Any ideas? I’m all in!

Tell me which players where you disagree with my assessment as to how they're going now compared to earlier in the year.

Just commenting on the players you say are playing below standard....dont get all hot under the collar martinson ...and wondered how we are sitting 3rd on the ladder.

Why do you think we are sitting higher on the ladder than 15 other teams while so many are playing below par?

Just commenting on the players you say are playing below standard....dont get all hot under the collar martinson ...and wondered how we are sitting 3rd on the ladder.

Why do you think we are sitting higher on the ladder than 15 other teams while so many are playing below par?

Because we won 8 of the first 9 games when those players were in better form

Didn’t think there was anything wrong with your comments, we’ve gotten worse because of injury, some players are playing better, some the same, some worse. Think you’re just in the firing line at the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back