2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiama Chris

Club Legend
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Personally,

King is AFL quality. Ruck/FWD and is athletic, he fills all the qualities needed by the modern ruck/fwd and showed that in his NAB League debut this year when he got 30 something hitouts and 11 touches as a bottom age ruck who started. He also has good enough skills to be drafted imo. I was talking to bangers and he said potentially top 30.

Nicholls and Gander are ok imo but I don't think they'd be likely to be drafted, maybe rookied if they're lucky. They do have some good traits respectively tho.
By the time of drafting King will be 5 years (thereabouts) younger than McLean/Amartey. Perfect.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
This is something I have thought about a lot.
How many very good Victorians batman have played for Australia over the last 20 years? About 2
How many very good NSW batsman have played for Australia over the last 20 years. About 25

Why is that?

The Sydney grade competition is probably the strongest in the world at its level. One level below Shield.

My nephew who has excelled at cricket and aussie rules has chosen aussie rules.

Sydney cricket will decline across the whole of sydney because the best players will probably choose ausiie rules.

Why?

Look at a cricketer. Look at an AFL player. They are the same prototype. Tall. Skinny.

What are your prospects at AFL and what are your prospects at elite Australian cricket?

Lots of great AFL players have chosen aussie rules over cricket. Luke Hodge is one. But there are many.

I predict the decline of Australian cricket with the rise of AFL in NSW.

David Hookes' theory was that when you got your NSW debut cap, they gave you a baggy green in a brown paper bag.

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
David Hookes' theory was that when you got your NSW debut cap, they gave you a baggy green in a brown paper bag.
Merv Hughes was a selector for many years. The Victorians did not fair better at the section table considering NSW never had a selector. during his reign.

Go figure.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Hence my post about Australian cricket will decline with the rise of aussie rules in NSW. But it is significant that AFL will become the premier sport of the winter competition. It just takes generational time for people to adapt to the concept. I always go too early.
You're really of the opinion that AFL will replace rugby league as the dominant winter sport in NSW? That would be amazing!

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
One of my best friends at work has two sons. Both very good cricketers. Her youngest son was playing in the Victorian U17 side and he said that most of the best players in the side were considering AFL careers in the following year. They were not going to pursue cricket careers. That was about 3-4 years ago.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
One of my best friends at work has two sons. Both very good cricketers. Her youngest son was playing in the Victorian U17 side and he said that most of the best players in the side were considering AFL careers in the following year. They were not going to pursue cricket careers. That was about 3-4 years ago.
Was their decision successful for them?

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
You're really of the opinion that AFL will replace rugby league as the dominant winter sport in NSW? That would be amazing!
No. That will not happen. How many Islanders play AFL. Virtually none. What I am saying is that NSW cricket will decline. And hence Australian cricket will decline.
It has happened in Victoria for decades. In 10-20 years AFL will take the best youth to the detriment of cricket.
There are not that many elite sportsman each year. I think in Australia the 800 ior so list spots in AFL is more than most other sports.

Look at Heeney. He could have played soccer or rugby league. Mills rugby union. These guys are scarce.

Last edited:

Proper Gander

Owl whisperer and secret agent
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Must be "Proper" or "Propa".

One of the best BF posters is on the Dees' Board. I am betting Proper Gander is hoping the Dees select Gander.
Thanks GUH - I am now. I’ve always been a fan of recruiting the funniest named draftee as is possible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anotherletdown

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it's possible. Give it 10 more years. The constant collisions of set defense vs set defense will start to weigh on parents minds, AFL, and soccer to a certain extent (I think they'll start limiting headers for kids soon) should profit from this.

Grand Uncle Horace

Hall of Famer
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
Already 192cm according to that. Given he was measured 189 earlier in the year it seems he's still growing. Could well be 195ish by draft time if that's the case.
Has an odd but effective kicking action on his right and impressed he is also comfortable on his left. Hard to tell from the limited vision but are there questions about his overhead marking?

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Has an odd but effective kicking action on his right and impressed he is also comfortable on his left. Hard to tell from the limited vision but are there questions about his overhead marking?
I looked at the footage again and you do seem to be right. He is fine with the chest marking but his overhead marking didn't seem to lead to much success. Will need to work on that.

SwansProudly

Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad