2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

If we take Gander and don’t nickname him Goose it’s a serious missed opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be "Proper" or "Propa".

One of the best BF posters is on the Dees' Board. I am betting Proper Gander is hoping the Dees select Gander.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Must be "Proper" or "Propa".

One of the best BF posters is on the Dees' Board. I am betting Proper Gander is hoping the Dees select Gander.
Thanks GUH - I am now. I’ve always been a fan of recruiting the funniest named draftee as is possible

You're really of the opinion that AFL will replace rugby league as the dominant winter sport in NSW? That would be amazing!
Are you sure they're not talking union?

EDIT: My bad, should have read on... just ignore me!

You're really of the opinion that AFL will replace rugby league as the dominant winter sport in NSW? That would be amazing!

Definitely for Union, Will never happen for League.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

I think it's possible. Give it 10 more years. The constant collisions of set defense vs set defense will start to weigh on parents minds, AFL, and soccer to a certain extent (I think they'll start limiting headers for kids soon) should profit from this.

Already 192cm according to that. Given he was measured 189 earlier in the year it seems he's still growing. Could well be 195ish by draft time if that's the case.

Has an odd but effective kicking action on his right and impressed he is also comfortable on his left. Hard to tell from the limited vision but are there questions about his overhead marking?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Has an odd but effective kicking action on his right and impressed he is also comfortable on his left. Hard to tell from the limited vision but are there questions about his overhead marking?

I looked at the footage again and you do seem to be right. He is fine with the chest marking but his overhead marking didn't seem to lead to much success. Will need to work on that.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Hopefully the Swans academy will start producing players every year. The trajectory is looking promising:)
2021 Anderson?
2020 Campbell
2020 Gulden
2020 Sheather
2020 McAndrew
2018 Blakey
2017 Wicks
2015 Mills
2014 Heeney

Yep. We have reached the point where the players coming through were all in our academy since when they were barely in double digits in terms of age (I am not sure of the exact age a kid needs to be to join the academy). That has to help as getting them doing the correct thing skills wise at a young age helps them a lot down the line.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep. We have reached the point where the players coming through were all in our academy since when they were barely in double digits in terms of age (I am not sure of the exact age a kid needs to be to join the academy). That has to help as getting them doing the correct thing skills wise at a young age helps them a lot down the line.
Plus, ever since Heeney got drafted most schools in Sydney who did not have AFL as a school sport rushed to get it in place.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Plus, ever since Heeney got drafted most schools in Sydney who did not have AFL as a school sport rushed to get it in place.

That is true. I think it is important to think about guys like Mills, Heeney, Campbell, Gulden, Wicks and even Bell. None of them are bad kicks. Teaching the kids at early ages how to kick correctly helps a lot.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
That is true. I think it is important to think about guys like Mills, Heeney, Campbell, Gulden, Wicks and even Bell. None of them are bad kicks. Teaching the kids at early ages how to kick correctly helps a lot.
I think what most people miss is a lot of these guys under no pressure are good kicks. It’s often only exposed when they are put under pressure and then we find out whether they are a good kick at AFL level.

At AFL level you get less time to dispose of the ball so it can expose a number of weaknesses in a players kicking ability including speed of decision making, how tight their kicking action is to get ball to foot fast, fluidly and accurately, things like actual athletic attributes like leg speed (as in the swinging action) and even confidence etc

It’s often not about them not being taught to kick properly. Some of these things can be overcome by players playing within themselves, knowing what they’re capable of and executing within those confines.

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think what most people miss is a lot of these guys under no pressure are good kicks. It’s often only exposed when they are put under pressure and then we find out whether they are a good kick at AFL level.

At AFL level you get less time to dispose of the ball so it can expose a number of weaknesses in a players kicking ability including speed of decision making, how tight their kicking action is to get ball to foot fast, fluidly and accurately, things like actual athletic attributes like leg speed (as in the swinging action) and even confidence etc

It’s often not about them not being taught to kick properly. Some of these things can be overcome by players playing within themselves, knowing what they’re capable of and executing within those confines.
This is correct. I was a pretty good kick at training, however when I was younger it could let me down during a game. It wasn't until it was pointed out that I needed to settle in the final step or two before I kicked that I saw improvement. I have huge respect for players who kick so accurately going at full pace as it looks like some of them don't even need to settle.

Back