2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

TheMase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
This article has a few quotes from him. Clearly has the drive to improve, definitely worth a punt.

Rioli8217

˚∆˚
Jul 11, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Unconfirmed. But I have been reliably informed that there will be a 25% funding cut across the whole Swans Academy program.
It's 25% Player cut not funding cut. This is because of the amount of players now in the academy with the 9 girls age groups along side the boys.

They are now focusing on elite and draft-able talent so a lot of the 'hanger onerers' will be cut.

On a side note, benchmarks for u15 (u16 2022) all the way through to u19s start in December with the invitees announced on Monday so it'd be interesting to see the number of cuts.

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
It's 25% Player cut not funding cut. This is because of the amount of players now in the academy with the 9 girls age groups along side the boys.

They are now focusing on elite and draft-able talent so a lot of the 'hanger onerers' will be cut.

On a side note, benchmarks for u15 (u16 2022) all the way through to u19s start in December with the invitees announced on Monday so it'd be interesting to see the number of cuts.
That makes more sense. My source is a mother of a talented kid in the academy but her family and friends are rugby union mad. She knows very little about Aussie Rules football. When I listen to her I get fragments of information and I have to try to put it together. I'm based in Melbourne so I'm a long way away.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That makes more sense. My source is a mother of a talented kid in the academy but her family and friends are rugby union mad. She knows very little about Aussie Rules football. When I listen to her I get fragments of information and I have to try to put it together. I'm based in Melbourne so I'm a long way away.
So you practically live in the 3rd world. My apologies for your struggles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Angry Red Bull

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
We should always rookie 1 academy at a minimum
Yeah agree. No go home factor then. Sheather looks like a win and he was a little further down the totem pole at the time of his drafting.

I especially like the idea of using and promoting the pathway in this way. Over time this strategy will become more and more useful as the gap between top end draft talent and top end academy talent narrows

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Interested how he got into Aussie Rules, being from a rugby mad family (or is that just his mum)?
Her kids and my sisters kids grew up playing Rugby Union and League. I lived in the eastern suburbs for 16 years. The rise of the academy brought prestige to your son being in the academy. Each kid gets reports professionally presented each year and the parents get caught up in it and its a talking point. Parents brag about little Johnny and compare results. So more eastern suburbs kids kid drawn in on parents wanting the same so they get them playing aussie rules. Most of my friends from there are rugby orientated(around Randwick mostly). But their kids, because of other kids and Heeney and Mills etc have been drawn to Aussie rules and the academy. It has also taken off in lots more schools too. It feeds on itself.

BarneyBent

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Her kids and my sisters kids grew up playing Rugby Union and League. I lived in the eastern suburbs for 16 years. The rise of the academy brought prestige to your son being in the academy. Each kid gets reports professionally presented each year and the parents get caught up in it and its a talking point. Parents brag about little Johnny and compare results. So more eastern suburbs kids kid drawn in on parents wanting the same so they get them playing aussie rules. Most of my friends from there are rugby orientated(around Randwick mostly). But their kids, because of other kids and Heeney and Mills etc have been drawn to Aussie rules and the academy. It has also taken off in lots more schools too. It feeds on itself.
The anti-authoritarian in me hates this. But the Swans fan in me loves it.

Kiama Chris

Club Legend
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I very much want his nickname to be Cow :$
Surely Bull would be more appropriate?
Again, one would expect Dalrymple to be all over this. Maybe with our last pick?
Certainly has some size to him and we could use a bit of that.
Perhaps a bit dangerous to let him slide to the Rookie Draft.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Again, one would expect Dalrymple to be all over this. Maybe with our last pick?
Actually yes, Bull is better.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Wouldn't we have the opportunity to match a bid? So he wouldn't slide to the rookie draft without us having the chance to grab him? And I'm guessing it would be a fairly easy bid to match if he's being talked about as a very late/rookie pick.

But I suppose the good thing about the academy is that when there's a kid who may not be worth taking in the draft and he ends up at a rival club, we can always hope they want to come back to Sydney down the road anyway. A go-home factor that works in our favour finally!

Kiama Chris

Club Legend
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Wouldn't we have the opportunity to match a bid? So he wouldn't slide to the rookie draft without us having the chance to grab him? And I'm guessing it would be a fairly easy bid to match if he's being talked about as a very late/rookie pick.

But I suppose the good thing about the academy is that when there's a kid who may not be worth taking in the draft and he ends up at a rival club, we can always hope they want to come back to Sydney down the road anyway. A go-home factor that works in our favour finally!
Think you're right. Be ready to match but pick him up as a Cat B rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad