Prediction One season too many - Now 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine being so offended that I liked a Star Wars movie you didn’t that you bring it up in an unrelated thread… six ******* years later :tearsofjoy:

I will forever admire Rian Johnson for hurting Star Wars nerds so much.
It just speaks to your character so much Jack.

It's like finding out someone ties their shoes with the bunny ears method or cuts the crust off their bread.

You forever question if they're all there.

Plenty seem keen to put a line through Pendlebury. Not sure about that. He's not the superstar he was but he's a role player now. On a night the Pies were beaten comfortably for most of the game he had 20 touches (10 contested), 4 clearances and 5 tackles. He can still find the footy and has a good crack in the contest.

Players naturally reduce in output as they get older, doesn't mean they still can't be contributing role players that every team needs.
He’s been that role player for the last couple of years.

Still early in the season and I recall either last year or the year before he also looked gone at one stage.

However in the three games so far this season he has looked a liability out there in the middle with how slow he has looked and how off his disposal has been. Their midfield is getting physically beaten up and teams are running hard against them and Pendlebury is definitely part of the problem.

Agree with you to a point but there still needed to be tough conversations.

Instead of actively pushing Ginnivan out the door, maybe the tough calls on Howe, Mitchell and Cox needed to be made
Mitchell?

He’s 30 and they just recruited him that season and he was a key factor on grand final day.

They got him in to add some contested ball winning ability in the middle and some tackling.

There isn’t a single club in the league that is going to force a guy into retirement they just recruited after winning a flag.

I think it is very hard really to lump any Collingwood player in this thread.

One season too long can’t really apply to players who actually delivered on the biggest stage of all.

Even if Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Crisp or Howe etc have a disastrous season, how can you possibly argue in hindsight they’ve gone on year too long when each of them were sensational on GF day. The argument they should have just finished on a high is silly really.

One season too long can’t really apply to players who actually delivered on the biggest stage of all.

Even if Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Crisp or Howe etc have a disastrous season, how can you possibly argue in hindsight they’ve gone on year too long when each of them were sensational on GF day. The argument they should have just finished on a high is silly really.
It happens.

Smith was cooked last year after playing his best ever game in the 2022 grand final.

For every Selwood decision there are 10 champions that need to be tapped on the shoulder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree.

There needs to be some forward planning occur at every club. Theres no way Cox should have stayed on after the grand final.

Just because you win a flag doesnt give you free reign to dictate your career.

Is Charlie Spargo walking into Melbourne demanding a 7 year deal on 1 million a season because he played in a flag? I dont think so.

Luke Breust

I disagree.

There needs to be some forward planning occur at every club. Theres no way Cox should have stayed on after the grand final.

Just because you win a flag doesnt give you free reign to dictate your career.

Is Charlie Spargo walking into Melbourne demanding a 7 year deal on 1 million a season because he played in a flag? I dont think so.
The Eagles still paying for it. They let their 2018 GF boys write their own contracts and thats why they are in this mess now 6 years later. Terrible fwd planning and too much bathwater drinking.

Breust is a champ but he is legitimately making us a three goal worse side this year. Either missing goals he would have slotted a few years back because he can no longer kick over a jam jar or generate the separation needed to take a shot, or just fumbles/slips anytime we have an option to go forward.

Had a slow start last year but he really looks done now.

Amazing career but probably should call time at the end of the year.

Breust is a champ but he is legitimately making us a three goal worse side this year. Either missing goals he would have slotted a few years back because he can no longer kick over a jam jar or generate the separation needed to take a shot, or just fumbles/slips anytime we have an option to go forward.

Will he be carried to 300?

Damn fine player in his day.

I'm not writing him off just yet.

Having some bad moments which are standing out a bit more in a poor side, but he's had slumps like this before where many thought it was over for him, and he's come back fine.

Reckon he just needs some time to adjust to his new capabilities. His nous and smarts won't go away.

If he's still doing this in a month it's probably time, but he's earned the right to have a form slump IMO.

I'm not writing him off just yet.

Having some bad moments which are standing out a bit more in a poor side, but he's had slumps like this before where many thought it was over for him, and he's come back fine.

Reckon he just needs some time to adjust to his new capabilities. His nous and smarts won't go away.

If he's still doing this in a month it's probably time, but he's earned the right to have a form slump IMO.

I'm worried. He's probably had 3 games in a row where he has been close to worst on ground. I can understand player at his age having one bad performance and a few average ones but 3 bad performances in a row is concerning.

I'm worried. He's probably had 3 games in a row where he has been close to worst on ground. I can understand player at his age having one bad performance and a few average ones but 3 bad performances in a row is concerning.
Breust is playing how I imagine Ablett would have if he pushed himself onto 2021 and 2022.

He still had enough smarts to be a very useful goal sneak in 2023, but the body can only hang on so long, especially as a small forward. You need to be sharp and agile.

Breust is playing how I imagine Ablett would have if he pushed himself onto 2021 and 2022.

He still had enough smarts to be a very useful goal sneak in 2023, but the body can only hang on so long, especially as a small forward. You need to be sharp and agile.

It's the balance that worries me most. Breust has never been the quickest player, especially for a small forward. He had elite lateral movement and lower body strength to navigate traffic and break tackles. We aren't seeing that any more. He can't generate separation from a trademark sidestep or drive through a tackle and loses his feet constantly.

Hopefully we see a turn around.

It's the balance that worries me most. Breust has never been the quickest player, especially for a small forward. He had elite lateral movement and lower body strength to navigate traffic and break tackles. We aren't seeing that any more. He can't generate separation from a trademark sidestep or drive through a tackle and loses his feet constantly.

Hopefully we see a turn around.
Yep that's always how I remembered Breust, such a smooth mover and he'd seemingly dance his way through to scoring positions.

Senior players of his class have a period where they can get by on muscle memory and genuinely outsmarting opposition, but eventually the reflexes and turn of speed are just so slow it doesn't matter.

I do hope he turns it around and at least has a solid send off anyway. Absolute champion small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back