• 44. Seth Campbell

Votes: 77 62.6%
  • 45. Tylar Young

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50. Marlion Pickett

Votes: 35 28.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing I get out of this game is our recruiting staff need an overhaul. I cant blame the players, as they have had the ultimate success & lost the hunger. We need to start again & start to see which kids can play the game & which ones are not up too it. I didn't see us playing finals to be honest, this game just proves we are back to the bad old days of having a good quarter or two & then struggling in the others.
Also good for Yze to realize that he needs to build the list again, we are not as far back as we have been before, but we need to recruit for the future over the next few seasons. Then we can hit free agents when we get back in the window.
More like our draft picks need an overhaul

Not gonna get too many diamonds when you’re dealing in 4th rounds and mid-season draft picks

People need to suck it up. We had success and we’re now coming down the other side. Going to need a rebuild and that won’t happen over night.

Will be a much more enjoyable season if you go in with low expectations and enjoy the wins that will come. We’re probably not making finals and likely to start underdogs in most games.

The one thing I get out of this game is our recruiting staff need an overhaul. I cant blame the players, as they have had the ultimate success & lost the hunger. We need to start again & start to see which kids can play the game & which ones are not up too it. I didn't see us playing finals to be honest, this game just proves we are back to the bad old days of having a good quarter or two & then struggling in the others.
Also good for Yze to realize that he needs to build the list again, we are not as far back as we have been before, but we need to recruit for the future over the next few seasons. Then we can hit free agents when we get back in the window.
If the refresh doesn’t work we will be rebuilding for a long long time bc of the demographics of our list makeup. By the time the young guys mature players like short, Rioli, will be past it so we’ll need to replace more best 22 core players. We’ll be another norf or west coast
So I really hope that those calling for a full rebuild are way off the mark

Dow was our best mid by some distance . His body use around stoppages is very very good and will only get better . Hopper , Taranto Prestia merely go offensive at all times and with Witt’s doing what he wanted they were exposed big time .

Dow had 6 disposals for the game.

I'm sorry Yze, Bolton has to be at every Center bounce possible and until Taranto learns how to handball instead of bombing the ball straight to the opposition (Hes Patrick Dangerfield 2.0) he can play Fwd till we sort this midfield mess out. I'd start Hopper, Ross & Bolton in Center next week and see if that makes any difference.

What's really sad is I don't think we got beat by a good team. To me suns went to water when the pressure came. Our lack of midfield effort or want is really concerning.
Yeh I think they were waiting to be rolled in the last

3rd quarter was some fun at the ground. Didn’t make a 3 hour trip worthless. We were louder than Suns fans and the seating at Carrara is nice, doesn’t shelter from the sun though. That first half was just deplorable. It looked like our players weren’t even trying but that can’t have been it. I can’t even tell what it was. Structure? Our backs were trailing 5 metres behind, our midfield could not get a clearance to save their life and our forwards didn’t compete or were out of sync with the midfield. When Bolton kicked the opening goal I didn’t think we’d get what happened.

If we could’ve gotten a goal at the end of the 3rd or Campbell didn’t miss we might’ve actually been a chance, but Grimes showed a complete lack of leadership and gave away a 50 and stopped any chance of a comeback however unlikely. Not very good when you’d say one of the things keeping him in the side is his leadership. Thought the Broad call was blatantly the umpires cheating, but it is technically correct in the rules as broad had heaps of opportunity to get rid of it. However, this happens a lot and usually isn’t pinged. Guess we will see if they stick to it. They scored a point to get it to 25 so it was an extra kick either way.

We couldn’t mark a thing in the first half (felt like last year) but we actually started taking marks and it felt like winning more clearances. Amazing what a difference that can make. Lynch and Dusty playing might have helped. I’d say the team not playing like they just woke up might’ve helped. Maybe we won’t make that mistake next week. If we best Carlton I’ll be wondering why we couldn’t do that to Gold Coast, but I’ll take a win and think we’re a chance depending on which version of footy we play.

Ryan looked so far off it, at least around the ground. Didn’t pay attention to his ruck work. Thought there were a couple moments where Kosi could’ve chased harder. If Balta can take some contested mark that’d be great. He did a good job bringing it to ground, but for some reason we’re pretty terrible at crumbing goals. A summary of the first half was when Baker and another player were against the suns player, while Ryan backed into the 50, but our players just waited for the Suns player to pick it up instead of going for the ball, then he burst through them. Thankfully we actually tackled, marked and moved fast in the 3rd. I hope that passage of play was from our pressure and tactics rather than just a lapse quarter from Gold Coast.

Hopefully our defence isn’t so concerning in the future. Doesn’t help when our midfield looked like u15s except when Bolton was there. Why do we always suck at clearances despite having what looks like a good midfield on paper? Bullied by a 22 year old.

Campbell was great, MRJ at least seemed like the only one trying early on (we had no pressure first half with 4 smalls essentially). Dow was pretty disappointing unfortunately, but so was most of the midfield.

Baker I as pretty quiet, Ross I don’t remember seeing specifically, so he was probably pretty good and important in our link ups in the 3rd. I’d feel pretty damn annoyed if I was him with how often he’s sub.

I’d consider dropping Grimes for someone like Brown, Dusty for Dow (I don’t want to drop a kid, but the other spot I see Dusty taking is MRJ’s and I think MRJ should stay in for now), Nank for Ryan and Lynch for either Kosi or Naismith, depending on whether we want to use Nank/Balta ruck with Kozi and Lynch forward (and Balta at times) or Nank/Naismith ruck with Balta and Lynch permanently forward.

Man, I can’t wait for it to be Lunch time

Last edited:
We had no big defender to body their talls in the first half yet we had Noah running around energetically but in reality very ineffective in the forward line

Then Yze in the post match presser praises Balta's efforts in the ruck in the second half

A thoroughbred all Australian full back being used as a Clydesdale in the ruck and left to flounder up forward as our key vehicle for attack. Just straight out dumb management.

Seth good game on debut and Ross is in our 18 not sure why he is not and it just cannot be the new coach but if there is a link between the advice of Balta forward/ruck and Ross on the bench we need to remove those individuals influence sooner rather than later.

As for Dylan simple 1 minute post match talk, Dylan act like a dill again and you will have to prove yourself in the VFL before you get back in the big game.

Hopper for all his criticism that goal he kicked 55 metres into the wind after being crunched in the ribs and winded the boy showed something that all tiger fans love. Good step forward.

3rd quarter was some fun at the ground. Didn’t make a 3 hour trip worthless. We were louder than Suns fans and the seating at Carrara is nice, doesn’t shelter from the sun though. That first half was just deplorable. It looked like our players weren’t even trying but that can’t have been it. I can’t even tell what it was. Structure? Our backs were trailing 5 metres behind, our midfield could not get a clearance to save their life and our forwards didn’t compete or were out of sync with the midfield. When Bolton kicked the opening goal I didn’t think we’d get what happened.

If we could’ve gotten a goal at the end of the 3rd or Campbell didn’t miss we might’ve actually been a chance, but Grimes showed a complete lack of leadership and gave away a 50 and stopped any chance of a comeback however unlikely. Not very good when you’d say one of the things keeping him in the side is his leadership. Thought the Broad call was blatantly the umpires cheating, but it is technically correct in the rules as broad had heaps of opportunity to get rid of it. However, this happens a lot and usually isn’t pinged. Guess we will see if they stick to it. They scored a point to get it to 25 so it was an extra kick either way.

We couldn’t mark a thing in the first half (felt like last year) but we actually started taking marks and it felt like winning more clearances. Amazing what a difference that can make. Lynch and Dusty playing might have helped. I’d say the team not playing like they just woke up might’ve helped. Maybe we won’t make that mistake next week. If we best Carlton I’ll be wondering why we couldn’t do that to Gold Coast, but I’ll take a win and think we’re a chance depending on which version of footy we play.

Ryan looked so far off it, at least around the ground. Didn’t pay attention to his ruck work. Thought there were a couple moments where Kosi could’ve chased harder. If Balta can take some contested mark that’d be great. He did a good job bringing it to ground, but for some reason we’re pretty terrible at crumbing goals. A summary of the first half was when Baker and another player were against the suns player, while Ryan backed into the 50, but our players just waited for the Suns player to pick it up instead of going for the ball, then he burst through them. Thankfully we actually tackled, marked and moved fast in the 3rd. I hope that passage of play was from our pressure and tactics rather than just a lapse quarter from Gold Coast.

Hopefully our defence isn’t so concerning in the future. Doesn’t help when our midfield looked like u15s except when Bolton was there. Why do we always suck at clearances despite having what looks like a good midfield on paper? Bullied by a 22 year old.

Campbell was great, MRJ at least seemed like the only one trying early on (we had no pressure first half with 4 smalls essentially). Dow was pretty disappointing unfortunately, but so was most of the midfield.

I’d consider dropping Grimes for someone like Brown, Dusty for Dow (I don’t want to drop a kid, but the other spot I see Dusty taking is MRJ’s and I think MRJ should stay in for now), Nank for Ryan and Lynch for either Kosi or Naismith, depending on whether we want to use Nank/Balta ruck with Kozi and Lynch forward (and Balta at times) or Nank/Naismith ruck with Balta and Lynch permanently forward.

Man, I can’t wait for it to be Lunch time
Grimes one was not 50, pathetic decision made by a pathetic umpire who basically tells Grimes to get up for staging and then rewards a GC bloke who takes a massive dive.

More like our draft picks need an overhaul

Not gonna get too many diamonds when you’re dealing in 4th rounds and mid-season draft picks

People need to suck it up. We had success and we’re now coming down the other side. Going to need a rebuild and that won’t happen over night.

Will be a much more enjoyable season if you go in with low expectations and enjoy the wins that will come. We’re probably not making finals and likely to start underdogs in most games.
Not sure why everyone is just resigned to us being terrible this year and that finals is a long shot.

Has everyone forgotten Yze’s pitch for the job was that this is still a team in a premiership window and we just needed to tweak the game plan and reinforce some basic behaviours?

That to me sounds like a side that should be winning most weeks and be expecting to finish top 4 and have a shot at the flag. Not losing to mid-table fodder like the Suns.

Don’t think Yze can turn around and play the rebuilding card now that it suits.

It was clear as day this side is on the way down.

What will people think of nank and Naismith playing in the same team?
No , we have Nank and Balta pr Naismith and Balta can’t have three showed today we had a ruck and two second rucks we aren’t fast enough to cover

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just going by what i saw sometimes the eyes tell you more than the stats. He looks nervy around the contest and he fumbles on perceived pressure. His skills are ok without being great. We want all our players to make but sometimes they don't.
Still young enough to improve his game but he shouldn't have been a walk up for round 0.

Pickett and Macca bioth try hard but they cough it up way to much.

Taranto i didn't like his game today wouldn't at all be surprised if he had more than 15

Ryan should not have been in the team. Dow had a shocker but ill cut him some slack as hes been our best mid all preseason.

Tylar Young get some urgency in your game. Needs to improve on his 2nd efforts. Many tiems once the ball hit the ground he gave up the chase literally.

Agree that stats aren't always the be all and end all, but at the same time, stats avoid bias in which the "eye test" will have.

Just to put things into perspective, Josh Daicos (AA wingman) only averaged 7.6 contested possessions and 2.3 tackles.

I think the idea was that Banks had the possibility of playing inside, but only if he improved his contested game, rather than improving his contested game as a genuine wingman.

Liked what Leafau showed in the two’s today, he provides a contest, is a presence, and excellent defensive skills. (could be a similar player to the GWS Callum Brown) Kozi deserves to be allowed to establish himself but we certainly have options if he doesn’t take this opportunity. Would love to see spots for both Brown and Tresize open up. I have low expectations for the season and will be satisfied if we are competitive and provide opportunities to anyone who performs but with a preference for youth.

Last edited:
play 2 or 3 quarters the way we played the 3rd quarter and we will
beat the majority of sides even with umpires on the take

big sexy and dusty in is nothing to be sneezed at. easily our 2 best players

gotta keep the loss in perspective, dimma said his team is gonna make finals and the gcsfl will make sure they get there, and the suns are still a chance to win the flag (0.0001%) so there's a chance that we just lost to this year's premiers as well as next year's

not looking too bad with that in mind

Grimes and Broad both very average.

Selfish brain fade/50m penalty from Grimes was the final blow to completly end the game. Grimes has done stuff like that half a dozen times in recent seasons. Simply not good enough him and broad are suppose to be the two leaders of the backline and he is offering up that garbage.

Broad unsighted in first half even though ball went inside 50 a hell of a lot.
Shirked a couple of contests. Then was laughing after giving away the deliberate rushed behind. (which was a terrible free kick what a joke)
Not sure why he is laughing about it though he should of been furious.

Samson Ryan hasn’t come on at all. Looks lost, I was a big fan but I am starting to have doubts.

That constant centre bounce midfield of Hopper, Taranto and Prestia is so vanilla and they got absolutely smashed. Need to experiment with others in the middle.
I’ve said it before and I’ll continue to say it … Bolton is our best midfielder.

The fact Ross started as sub again is a joke. We are so much better with him in the side. One of the only players on our list that is consistently composed under pressure.

Positives:

We have found a player in Seth Campbell.

Good to see Yze made some tactical changes at HT that immediately changed the game.

Balta good. Excited to see him & Lynch in same side.

Hopper good.

Vlaustin good.

Back