Strategy Rowey admits the club wasn’t honest at the presser

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the supporters have actually been pretty restrained when you look at the sheer magnitude of the monumental utensil-ups this season.

This is a club that does not have term limits for board members and the chairman, who (except one or two) are unelected representatives.

Read that again.

Unelected representatives with no term limits. That’s how you get a chairman for a decade, surviving salary cap sanctions and zero premierships.

It’s a miracle Adelaide members haven’t torn the club down yet, but believe me, that’s coming. It’ll either be that, or you’ll get your wish of a mass exodus, and it’ll just be the “true supporters” left who’ll allow the club to mug them, steal their lunch money and flush their heads down the toilet. I.e - you and Jen
Opposed to what - bandwaggonning frontrunners ?
Those “supporters “?
What if you were a Richmond supporter - a Saints supporter - FMD a North supporter ?

Every club has s**t times and at the end of the year ( we all agree the season is pretty much over) there will be heads that roll.

The over riding reason for our situation on the field is injuries - yes - stemming obviously from a flawed fitness plan.

I’m not the idiot responsible for the massive piss taking exercise of #answerus !

If you’re not happy with the club - chuck in your ticket. Put your money where your mouth is. Don’t go all keyboard warrior and leave us open to even more ridicule.

My membership, last I checked, didn’t come with a “your rights as a supporter” or a money back guarantee we’d make finals.

I’ve seen more wins than losses over the past 5 years - some of them absolutely fantastic - and that’s why I go.
I’m not defending the club - I don’t know enough about it all to take any side.
But I’m sick to death of our players copping it.

Nobody is making you go and I would expect the true supporters still will and the sooky “answer my e mail” crowd, won’t.
I get such a laugh from this kind of attitude. Because it illustrates that you treat the club as your "entertainment". Saying "just don't go" is equivalent to responding with "just change channels" to someone complaining about a TV show.

You also enjoy pigeonholing for your own purpose. Just because a section of supporters are concerned enough to want to agitate for change, doesn't mean they automatically align with a stupid Twitter campaign likely started by a journo.

You don't have to look far back to see examples of where member "agitation" has led to positive outcomes. Richmond's board unrest led to positive changes, Sydney's member uprising led to Paul Roos' appointment, Hawthorns members movement led to staving off a merger and a reinvigouration of their club into a powerhouse. I could go on.

People like you think that supporting "no matter what" is the definition of loyalty. It's not, it's actually the very sheep mentality that motivates the club to use "bums on seats" as it's ultimate kpi. You're part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I get such a laugh from this kind of attitude. Because it illustrates that you treat the club as your "entertainment". Saying "just don't go" is equivalent to responding with "just change channels" to someone complaining about a TV show.

You also enjoy pigeonholing for your own purpose. Just because a section of supporters are concerned enough to want to agitate for change, doesn't mean they automatically align with a stupid Twitter campaign likely started by a journo.

You don't have to look far back to see examples of where member "agitation" has led to positive outcomes. Richmond's board unrest led to positive changes, Sydney's member uprising led to Paul Roos' appointment, Hawthorne members led to staving off a merger and a reinvigouration of their club into a powerhouse. I could go on.

People like you think that supporting "no matter what" is the definition of loyalty. It's not, it's actually the very sheep mentality that motivates the club to use "bums on seats" as it's ultimate kpi. You're part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I stopped reading at “entertainment “

.... the first thing you’ve been right about

I had an incident earlier this year that put so much into perspective / that as a family we are still dealing with.

Going to the football is entertainment for me and mine.

If it’s more than that for anyone else ... well .... good luck when truly bad s**t happens

Dr Carl says that meditation does **** all and is a waste of time
Well, what is he expecting it to do?

Does he think he's going to get super powers or something?

It's a method to calm your mind and become aware of 99% of stuff that the autopilot in your head is thinking about.

And... that's pretty beneficial. Because... that's what it does.

I stopped reading at “entertainment “

.... the first thing you’ve been right about

I had an incident earlier this year that put so much into perspective / that as a family we are still dealing with.

Going to the football is entertainment for me and mine.

If it’s more than that for anyone else ... well .... good luck when truly bad s**t happens
Baha, ah the old "perspective" argument. What a crock of s**t. My partner lost a family member suddenly and in tragic circumstances last year. It rocked us. Funnily enough it didn't change the way I thought about my football club.

I don’t know if it was CM instigated but the players did 4 hours for 2 days in a row. Pyke was worried about them being overawed.
The irony of this is that I have a colleague who is a psychologist who was fortunate enough to get allocated far better seats than me for the GF - and said she saw the boys run out for their warm up and saw the look on Tex's face when he came out and looked around the packed MCG and said he looked petrified, the very definition of overawed - she said she had a bad feeling from that point the players were freaked out and not up for the occasion. Turned out to be correct.

The irony of this is that I have a colleague who is a psychologist who was fortunate enough to get allocated far better seats than me for the GF - and said she saw the boys run out for their warm up and saw the look on Tex's face when he came out and looked around the packed MCG and said he looked petrified, the very definition of overawed - she said she had a bad feeling from that point the players were freaked out and not up for the occasion. Turned out to be correct.
Our guys were overawed in 1997 as well.

Blight talked them through it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Baha, ah the old "perspective" argument. What a crock of s**t. My partner lost a family member suddenly and in tragic circumstances last year. It rocked us. Funnily enough it didn't change the way I thought about my football club.
Stopped reading at “perspective”

Our guys were overawed in 1997 as well.

Blight talked them through it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

21:10, said he was shitting himself the night before.

Interesting that on the morning of the GF, as you rightly point out, the players said he was cracking jokes and relaxing everybody. That’s a leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t see Adelaide’s problems as footballing related – certainly not of a technical or tactical nature. Their deficiencies in this area are easily explained by injuries and loss of key players to free agency

No, it’s all between the ears. As it has been for some years down there. And you can tell Adelaide are worried about it, because why else would they have gone down the path of such a risky and out there bonding camp after the grand final? The powers-that-be at that club doubted the confidence of their players to recover. Ironically, by calling in the kooks and letting them loose in the players minds, all that Adelaide’s management would have succeeded in doing is revealing to the players that yes, the club did doubt their mental confidence.

I must say, whoever at Adelaide thought it was a good idea to hire someone called Amon Woulfe and let him loose on the minds of the players should be sacked on the spot. People who change their names to “fit in” better to the vibe of their mental wellness malarky should come with a warning label. If his product was genuinely outstanding he’d be comfortable selling it as Joe Blow and relying on recommendations from within the industry.

Amon claims that he sees men out on the field who look like warriors and yet inside feel very insecure. Fair enough. But it’s how he goes about addressing that that is concerning, Caro was onto this months ago, waving all sorts of red banners about this camp Adelaide ran:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...10.1304268275.1529534766-158628767.1471785184

“One reportedly involved the use of a so-called sacred symbol, another being restricted from remaining in touch with family and a third was at least one highly confronting — for some — ritual exercise. But it was not only that section of footballers who were unhappy with what took place. At least two coaches felt uncomfortable with some of what took place.”

I understand Eddie Betts was the one annoyed that he couldn’t talk to his wife or his two young kids – Caro confirms this – “regarding whether Betts was allowed to remain in contact with his wife Anna, at home with the couple’s two young children and pregnant with twins…deep dissatisfaction still lingers among the Betts family as a result of what took place”

but the line about ritual exercise and a player saying “has privately admitted that some elements of the experience would be viewed as highly incendiary if made public” – everyone seems to be dancing around this and not wanting to come out and say too much.

for my mind, I reckon Woulfe got all these players to stand in a room somewhere and they all had to masturbate in front of each other. If they were really breaking down barriers and ensuring players had no dignity or emotional walls up between each other, what better way to simultaneously degrade and obliterate social norms between them all?

Anyone know more about this?

I’d be interested to know how much input or sign-off the leadership group had on this camp and the details of it? Did Walker know what was going to happen in detail?

I think Adelaide can fix this by scapegoating someone in the coaching ranks who was responsible, get rid of the whole mental edge malarky and just go back to being a nice uncontroversial football team. Practice some openness with the fans and get back to doing the basics right off the field. Right now the appearance is that they’re a bit too caught up in zen practices and the players don’t seem that interested. If they’re really not updating photo galleries or doing chat with fans that for me is a failure, yes the rusted on fans don’t need much nourishment but you can’t just ignore them totally.

Poor old Bryce Gibbs. At least unlike Deledio he’s not watching his former teammates win a flag

That said, they were employed specifically to help the players with just such an occasion...
That is a fair point. I would say
1. If there's any truth to the story about 4 hrs x 2 sessions "meditation" in the leadup to the GF then that is IMO a fail on the face of it; and
2. Regardless of 1., and regardless of what other factors may have been at play, it seems pretty clear that the players' mindset was just not up to it on GF day, and therefore - even if you could prove that the other factors were enough by themselves (for us to lose), the CM program was still a fail.

TBH I'm not sure what I'm arguing here :) just, I guess, responding to what was turning into a squabble about "did CM cost us the GF?" to which my response is "quite possibly, but even if you could prove that they didn't, that's really not the point in terms of the value of the program and whether we should fire them into the sun".

Just on the whole meditation thing: I'm a very rational man, no new age woo for me, but I have no problem with the idea that a bit of guided thinking / mental exercises or whatever you choose to call it, can have beneficial effects. After all, to one extent or another we all do it whenever we sit down and close our eyes / clear or head (or our mechanism ;) ) at the end of a tough day, or before an exam or whatever.

It's when you start merging it in with chakras, or energy meridians, or whatever - when you start ascribing "special" things to the exercise, or using special terminology to make it sound like more than it is - that it turns to woo. IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back