No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blues rising star Sam.Walsh ready for new role -

When I saw this headline I had visions of Walsh taking up acting for the part of the shearers' cook in a remake of the '75 Jack Thompson movie, Sunday Too Far Away - the character who got drunk on the vanilla essence.

But no. Apparently Sam's playing midfield...

Blues rising star Sam.Walsh ready for new role -

When I saw this headline I had visions of Walsh taking up acting for the part of the shearers' cook in a remake of the '75 Jack Thompson movie, Sunday Too Far Away - the character who got drunk on the vanilla essence.

But no. Apparently Sam's playing midfield...
All those gun mid fielders they got pushing Walsh into the midfield.

If anyone be looking for something to lighten their mood, check out this thread from the Pies board from early 2017 (recently rebooted):

We can learn from Richmond (well what happened to them anyway)

1. Get a great draw (only played GWS of all the finals teams twice for the season....there's 4+ extra wins straight away! Guaranteed finals)
  2. Few if any injuries (none to key players) 15 of them played 20+games this season Continuity breeds confidence.
  3. Get two guns to have "career seasons" (Martin and Cotchin went two levels above anything they've produced before)
  4. Clear an injured Gun (They cleared Deledio....who will we clear? Ben Reid?) Having fit hungry youngsters playing week in week out certainly helps continuity and confidence!
  5. Throw out the game plan....let em loose! (Dimma had the same rep as Bucks "Too involved, too constraining"...Dimma read the writing on the wall. Will Bucks?) In the last month we played a lot more attacking footy...is this how we're going to play in 2018?
  6. Change the game day experience for the supporters. Less Kiss Cam, more "Back in Black". Give the cheer squads back to the people instead of over sanitising them and restraining their cheek. Let em loose! If the Tigers really think they have an army...unleash the beast that has always been Collingwood's greatest strength. Unleash the supporters! Set up CFC cheersquads around the G. Encourage originality and "support" Make the entire Ponsford stand OUR CHEER SQUAD....we could fill it easily. Stop thinking corporate and start thinking "barrackers" again.
A few things we can do.

Rumour - [PLAYERCARD]Dayne Beams[/PLAYERCARD] - will he or won't he retire? | Page 59 | BigFooty

[PLAYERCARD]Adam Treloar[/PLAYERCARD] nearly quit footy, mental health battles, crying in the spa,  Collingwood losing Grand Final, AFL360 | Herald Sun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would have to be pretty bad because they've had those 4 traded, plus 5 retirements (although Beams salary is still counted in the TPP's) and 4 delistings.

So it's actually 13 players out (more than lolnorf I think) with 8 players recruited from the most compromised draft ever where recruiters were basically going off 2019 form, half of those picks were from the back end of the draft as well. 2020 was the lowest intake of draftees ever.

Next year they will have to pay $300k+ for Treloar and around $700k for Beams.

It's a level of list 'management' that beggars belief.

I think that there's an open members forum at the Pies on Monday. Could be interesting...........

*edit.......here's a list of 2021 picks with thanks to Lore who did a splendid job

View attachment 1027090

This year the Pies are banging on about how well they did in this years draft with 5 picks in under 40.

Next year in a much better draft, including the fact that recruiters will be better able to judge players because of more exposed form, we have 5 picks under 42. I know who's draft hand I'd have (we only had to lose Higgins and Markov for comparison) I think that's outstanding list management from our boys, particularly because we are REIGNING PREMIERS

Next year the Pies have dibs on Nick Daicos who has been touted to go between picks 1-5. let's say he get's a bid on him at 5, that bid will eat up the Pies picks 30 + 38 + 44, sending them to the back of the draft. That is not a good position to be in. They have no draft capital next year and will have to rely on trading out one or two of their other spuds or use 2022 picks to trade with. Yes, they can pick up a FA, but who in their right mind would risk going there?

Imagine giving someone 1.5 million$ to not play football for Collingwood but for your rivals.

Imagine giving someone 1.5 million$ to not play football for Collingwood but for your rivals.
It's astounding isn't it? If you factor in Beams then it's about 3 million over 6 years that they have to pay for players not on their list (I'm sure that they will paying some of Stephenson's and Phillips wages too)

If we talk about draft capital then that cost is huge too. 2 players that played for a combined 5 years in total that cost them 4 x 1st round draft picks (plus later picks) with bugger all coming back.

They gave away:

Jacob Hopper
Harry Perryman
Ely Smith
Noah Answerth
Deven Robertson (Larke medal winner)

They received:

Beams (gone)
Treloar (gone for a 2nd round pick))
Sier (spud)
and picks for Kelly who was a father/son pickup anyway

It's astounding isn't it? If you factor in Beams then it's about 3 million over 6 years that they have to pay for players not on their list (I'm sure that they will paying some of Stephenson's and Phillips wages too)

If we talk about draft capital then that cost is huge too. 2 players that played for a combined 5 years in total that cost them 4 x 1st round draft picks (plus later picks) with bugger all coming back.

They gave away:

Jacob Hopper
Harry Perryman
Ely Smith
Noah Answerth
Deven Robertson (Larke medal winner)

They received:

Beams (gone)
Treloar (gone for a 2nd round pick))
Sier (spud)
and picks for Kelly who was a father/son pickup anyway

and yet no scrutiny

HB Meyers on The Mongrel Punt, regarding his top fifty players selections:
"My hope is to have players who are doing well in all positions well represented. Pretty difficult to steer it too much away from the midfield, but wanting to make it as fair as possible."

Then puts the likes of Cam Guthrie ahead of Dylan Grimes.

HB Meyers on The Mongrel Punt, regarding his top fifty players selections:
"My hope is to have players who are doing well in all positions well represented. Pretty difficult to steer it too much away from the midfield, but wanting to make it as fair as possible."

Then puts the likes of Cam Guthrie ahead of Dylan Grimes.

It's crazy how underrated Grimes is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back