Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like this Sam Draper Podcast thing with the Bulldogs is being blown WAY out of proportion.

Wasn't he mucking around and imitating a journo?

I recall listening to more than the selectively edited version and I'm pretty sure the whole thing was in jest.

I feel like this Sam Draper Podcast thing with the Bulldogs is being blown WAY out of proportion.

Wasn't he mucking around and imitating a journo?

I recall listening to more than the selectively edited version and I'm pretty sure the whole thing was in jest.
They don't jest out West these days

I still can't quite believe Port elected to play Rozee last week.

Even the lowest level of hamstring "injury" generally labelled as awareness or tightness sees a player miss a week as a precaution and the one Rozee suffered looked a level or two above that the week prior.

Crazy, Ken.

Not reading the room.

West Coast have not officially nominated Cousins, but that is not mandatory for a player to be considered. Eagles chairman Paul Fitzpatrick told ABC radio on Saturday he thought Cousins should be in the hall.

Not even a week after the big show the AFL put on about respect for woman, an idea that was born from west coast coach, the Eagles chairman decides a person who spent 7 months in jail for stalking should receive the AFL’s highest recognition.
A long way to go if we ever want to see rape, abuse, assault, stalking, controlling behaviour ever eliminated from Australia if this is how those in charge of young men think.

Not reading the room.

Not even a week after the big show the AFL put on about respect for woman, an idea that was born from west coast coach, the Eagles chairman decides a person who spent 7 months in jail for stalking should receive the AFL’s highest recognition.
A long way to go if we ever want to see rape, abuse, assault, stalking, controlling behaviour ever eliminated from Australia if this is how those in charge of young men think.
Im not disagreeing outright, but do you think there is a point in someone's life where 'forgiveness' is achieved from past wrongs. Specifically,when a person has paid for their crimes and are truly remorseful to what they have done?

Im uncomfortable somewhat when a person is labelled for life for mistakes/crimes that they have done

Im not disagreeing outright, but do you think there is a point in someone's life where 'forgiveness' is achieved from past wrongs. Specifically,when a person has paid for their crimes and are truly remorseful to what they have done?

Im uncomfortable somewhat when a person is labelled for life for mistakes/crimes that they have done
Sorry, but the first step in changing this culture starts with not elevating these people to the highest recognition the organisation can give.
I’m sick of excuses. Time to make an actual stand and not just give headline attracting sweet nothing.

Not reading the room.

Cousins will never make the hall of fame. No chance.

Sorry, but the first step in changing this culture starts with not elevating these people to the highest recognition the organisation can give.
I’m sick of excuses. Time to make an actual stand and not just give headline attracting sweet nothing.
Please dont be sorry for your opinion.

I do see it differently, I dont see things as static, we/you were referring to Ben Cousins - I actually see him as part of a solution via educating others, and even extending that to a role model (yes, I did say that). Agree with you, best not for the incident to occur in the first place, but, second best is for it not to continue and hopefully influence others to not and/or to change

Uncomfortable with people being ‘forgiven’ and rolling on into HoF’s, TV jobs etc and the victim(s) being left behind in heck knows what state. As if sport is the most important thing in the world.
We’ve all heard horror stories from VFL days, and not hear many more as well, but that’s alright ‘boys will be boys’.
I understand an act doesn’t always define you and I don’t know where the line is but Carey, Cousins types in these situations make me uncomfortable.

Please dont be sorry for your opinion.

I do see it differently, I dont see things as static, we/you were referring to Ben Cousins - I actually see him as part of a solution via educating others, and even extending that to a role model (yes, I did say that). Agree with you, best not for the incident to occur in the first place, but, second best is for it not to continue and hopefully influence others to not and/or to change
so perhaps the appropriate time to be honoured is after he’s put in the work to educate others and not before

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.

My only point Im really trying to make is the labelling for life, people can and do change for the better. And can make valuable contributions for past wrongs
we’re not in disagreement, I think it’s important to give people a second chance, but I also think that depending on the severity of their past actions, second chances need to be earned.

I remember reading a book many years ago about an aboriginal man who spent much of he’s life incarcerated (I think it was called dingo). He eventually woke up, educated himself and ran outreach programs to divert young offenders from following his path. That’s someone deserving of a second chance as opposed to someone like chopper who only tried to use his notoriety to spin a buck.

we’re not in disagreement, I think it’s important to give people a second chance, but I also think that depending on the severity of their past actions, second chances need to be earned.

I remember reading a book many years ago about an aboriginal man who spent much of he’s life incarcerated (I think it was called dingo). He eventually woke up, educated himself and ran outreach programs to divert young offenders from following his path. That’s someone deserving of a second chance as opposed to someone like chopper who only tried to use his notoriety to spin a buck.
In Cousins case, he's been given plenty of chances. He's now working in the media. He's even been on DWTS..! He's been welcomed back to both clubs, the footy world etc, and been on many football shows.

This is about an award. A highly regarded award. And I agree with the decision not to honour him.

I don't. He deserves it just as much as GAJsnr and Carey did.
It's about football. Nothing outside of it.
The problem is that the AFL now has a "character" component to the Hall Of Fame selection criteria.
It's why Barry Cable was stripped of his status, and why Cousins, Carey and Ablett senior won't get in.
Based solely on football, all of these players should be in, but in this politically correct world we now live in, it's not enough.
Pencil in our current skipper as a shoe-in when the time comes.

Incorrect.

The committee considers candidates on the basis of record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character. The number of games played, coached or umpired or years of service is a consideration only and does not determine eligibility.

Fails on the AFL own rules under the “character” requirement.
As does Carey.

Incorrect.

Fails on the AFL own rules under the “character” requirement.
As does Carey.
Depends how the future decision makers choose to define the parameters. Those blokes all showed "character" on the footy field. A footballing hall of fame without Wayne Carey or Gary Ablett Sr just seems wrong to me.

It's different now unfortunately and I'm all for it.

Ablett and Carey wouldn't get in now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back