Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Heartbreaking for the kid

My wife is a Doggies supporter and she told me about this yesterday, it's pretty concerning and you gotta feel for the kid.

It's got me concerned for Beau and Bytel, both were massive wacks to the head.

There is no imaging technique which can show a concussion, or CTE. Brain scans are for bleeding, atrophy, tumors, cysts, that sort of thing.
The Brayshaw story made me assume that what they're looking for is slight alterations - no idea what of. So the beginning scan that Elliott is talking about would be a baseline to be used as a comparison? But I'm guessing.

There is no imaging technique which can show a concussion, or CTE. Brain scans are for bleeding, atrophy, tumors, cysts, that sort of thing.
It would show the condition of their brain at that time wouldn't it? If there was any current damage? Then they'd have something to compare it to after they received a concussion further down the track.

When players are forced to retire because there has been changes in their brain, which they have seen from their latest scans, like in Brayshaw's case..they would have needed the earlier scan to compare it to, wouldn't they?

It would show the condition of their brain at that time wouldn't it? If there was any current damage? Then they'd have something to compare it to after they received a concussion further down the track.

The quote used everywhere to explain Brayshaw's retirement was that "microscopic changes" had been detected but nobody I can find actually explained what they were and based on what type of scan.

When players are forced to retire because there has been changes in their brain, which they have seen from their latest scans, like in Brayshaw's case..they would have needed the earlier scan to compare it to, wouldn't they?

Concussion does not cause a structural change to the brain. The change is physiological. The brain scan they undertake is to act as a baseline for structural changes, but the limitations are well known to neurologists.

Neurological testing, fortunately, is not limited to static imaging however. Mostly it revolves around responses to stimuli, reaction times, occulomotor testing etc. also measured against baseline numbers.

Concussion does not cause a structural change to the brain. The change is physiological. The brain scan they undertake is to act as a baseline for structural changes, but the limitations are well known to neurologists.

Neurological testing, fortunately, is not limited to static imaging however. Mostly it revolves around responses to stimuli, reaction times, occulomotor testing etc. also measured against baseline numbers.
So what exactly are these brain scans that players are having which is showing changes to their brain and forcing them into retirement?

Then Brayshaw & his camp are telling fibs about what these scans show. Because it's what they all said at the time & the reason why he was forced into retirement.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The quote used everywhere to explain Brayshaw's retirement was that "microscopic changes" had been detected but nobody I can find actually explained what they were and based on what type of scan.
So it seems they were telling porky pies about these brain scans..?

So it seems they were telling porky pies about these brain scans..?
I don't know anything about brain scans but it certainly saves the AFL a lot of money on potential law suits from players suspected of have CTE symtoms. Unfortunately, money is a part of all this but not the be all and end all

I don't know anything about brain scans but it certainly saves the AFL a lot of money on potential law suits from players suspected of have CTE symtoms. Unfortunately, money is a part of all this but not the be all and end all
Just seems weird, all these players saying they have brain scans, will now have regular brain scans, scans showed changes, these changes are why I'm forced into retirement..yet now it seems there is no such scan which shows this? Maybe I should just get a brain scan.

Just seems weird, all these players saying they have brain scans, will now have regular brain scans, scans showed changes, these changes are why I'm forced into retirement..yet now it seems there is no such scan which shows this? Maybe I should just get a brain scan.

I agree mate.

This has info about what can be picked up in scans.

At the very least, it might be comforting to be sure there is one there ;)

This has info about what can be picked up in scans.

Thanks. So there are scans which can pick up changes.

So what exactly are these brain scans that players are having which is showing changes to their brain and forcing them into retirement?

Then Brayshaw & his camp are telling fibs about what these scans show. Because it's what they all said at the time & the reason why he was forced into retirement.

“Brain scan” is more a lay term and could mean any number of things. In the hospital I work at, “brain scan” refers to a CT scan and I can guarantee you it’s not sensitive enough to pick up the minute changes occurring in the brain of a 20-something year old player having suffered a handful of concussions.

An MRI may be able to show early atrophy of the brain, but that would be an extreme case and entirely unnecessary for a player to be suffering life-changing post-concussive symptoms.

I would guess that the battery of tests applied to the likes of Brayshaw, Murphy and McCartin include imaging techniques that show activity in various parts of the brain in response to different stimuli, along the lines of functional MRI. These functional tests allow neurologists to measure response times, “fatiguability” of responses and irritability of symptoms. Much more meaningful in the current context than a static image.

Last edited:
“Brain scan” is more a lay term and could mean any number of things. In the hospital I work at, “brain scan” refers to a CT scan and I can guarantee you it’s not sensitive enough to pick up the minute changes occurring in the brain of a 20-something year old player having suffered a handful of concussions.

An MRI may be able to show early atrophy of the brain, but that would be an extreme case and entirely unnecessary for a player to be suffering life-changing post-concussive symptoms.

I would guess that the battery of tests applied to the likes of Brayshaw, Murphy and McCartin include imaging techniques that show activity in various parts of the brain in response to different stimuli, along the lines of functional MRI. These functional tests allow neurologists to measure response times, “fatiguability” of responses and irritability of symptoms. Much more meaningful in the current context than a static image.
Thanks. The reporting on these 'brain scans' forcing retirements & what they can show have been a bit misleading then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back