Toast Otten and CEY sign one year contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. I really don't know if the club knows where it's at based on this trade period. Trying to have a little each way it seems.

the club still thinks the playing group is still capable of challenging for the premiership but is totally aware we have a core group of players 30 plus and using this draft of strong SA talent whether we get the SA players or not to have a young group of players ready to step up into the AFL team when more of our senior core retires.

I suppose if you're otten you know it doesn't matter how well you play you won't be part of the starting 22 if about 28 people are fit and ready to go, so why not stay another year and take the cash to sit in the stands?
You really don't know Otten if you think that's what he's about.
Great team man and no doubt will be a very valuable asset both as solid list depth and to have around our young developing players on the SANFL.

Hmmmmm People too easiy forget how good he was before the first ACL. Yeah thats a long time ago and he's done another one since but I think the club and the player really appreciate each other. Bit of a love fest going on and I have no problem with that.
Hey I like the guy but his shelf life expired ages ago. I don't even rate him as handy depth anymore.

surely someone would sign cheney if we delist him, he's to good to not have playing, wonder if he might get traded?

Nah, Cheney is done as a footballer if he's delisted. 3 clubs and is at 30.

I suppose if you're otten you know it doesn't matter how well you play you won't be part of the starting 22 if about 28 people are fit and ready to go, so why not stay another year and take the cash to sit in the stands?

Pretty much, it's a very easy decision for him.

Get one (maybe two) more seasons at base AFL pay at a club you're much loved at or go to an SANFL/VFL club. We get what we want which is a cheap solid KP depth as well so it's pretty win/win.

Hey I like the guy but his shelf life expired ages ago. I don't even rate him as handy depth anymore.
I guess a lot of people would agree with you but I think his role as a swingman makes him more valuable. Simply he fills gaps and with the departure of our other Swingman to Carlton it made sense to offer him 12 months.

You really don't know Otten if you think that's what he's about.
Great team man and no doubt will be a very valuable asset both as solid list depth and to have around our young developing players on the SANFL.
It's obvious at this point he's got Keath and Fogarty (and maybe even Himmelberg) ahead of him on the depth queue, which is smart, but he still came in late in the year and showed some good form. They're all inexperienced AFL wise, so I don't mind having an experienced backup. One year deal is hardly going to cause any issues in terms of list management either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no mechanism for moving a player directly from the senior list to the rookie list. The only way this can happen is if we delist him, then re-draft him in the RD (as we did with CEY last year).
Serious question

What’s even the point of the rookie list anymore?
Cat a rookies can play whenever, so why not just have larger lists.

He's definitely on the rookie list, no matter what the half-trained monkeys at Telstra (i.e. the website operators) might think.

Hmmmm 'half trained monkeys'..........haven't heard that saying for many years. Was a common expression used by insecure lesser operators in the engineering field in Adelaide years ago. Not suggesting you are one Vader, but it just rang a little bell with me from times past. Carry on. ;)

Serious question

What’s even the point of the rookie list anymore?
Cat a rookies can play whenever, so why not just have larger lists.
There are only 2 real differences left. Firstly, rookie listed players are on 12-month contracts, and the club has to lodge a Form 32 if they wish to nominate to retain them for a 2nd or 3rd year (senior listed draftees are given a 2-year contract). Secondly, base salaries for rookie listed players are excluded from the salary cap. I don't think either of those are good reasons for retaining the rookie list.

I also have no idea why they bother with the Pre-Season Draft. It used to be justified as an escape route for players who wished to leave their previous club, given that they weren't able to delist themselves until after National Draft nominations had closed. Then the AFL changed the draft nomination date, making them eligible for the ND. There is now no reason at all for holding the PSD, yet the AFL continues to do so.

Anyone who expects the AFL to actually think intelligently is asking waaaaaay too much.

I like them both - underrated depth players. These guys are just as important as the regular 22 in terms of contribution, but with less fanfare. Particularly so if injuries were to occur.

We can’t have 30 AFL stars in our team. Otherwise, we would undoubtedly breech the salary cap!

I doubt there would be any interest at all. He's a reasonable depth option, but he wouldn't be in anyone's best 22.
CEY would easily be in Carlton or Gold Coast's best-22, and possibly Fremantle's as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back