Analysis Our best forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thought I'd start a thread to discuss what people see as our best forward set up. I think the lack of forward pressure is our biggest weakness at the moment.

The way I see it Hogan, Garlett, Petracca and Watts are locks in our best forward six. Which leaves two spots to pick from a lot of candidates: Hannan, Kent, JKH, Salem, VDB, Bugg, Kennedy, Weid, Pedo, Harmes, Vince, Brayshaw, Johnstone (?).

I'd be tempted to go Salem for his class and maybe send Viney down there with instructions to tackle 15 times a game.

As it stands Hogan and Watts aren't great defensively and Jeffy is hot and cold. Which leaves a lot for the other three to do...

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss what people see as our best forward set up. I think the lack of forward pressure is our biggest weakness at the moment.

The way I see it Hogan, Garlett, Petracca and Watts are locks in our best forward six. Which leaves two spots to pick from a lot of candidates: Hannan, Kent, JKH, Salem, VDB, Bugg, Kennedy, Weid, Pedo, Harmes, Vince, Brayshaw, Johnstone (?).

I'd be tempted to go Salem for his class and maybe send Viney down there with instructions to tackle 15 times a game.

As it stands Hogan and Watts aren't great defensively and Jeffy is hot and cold. Which leaves a lot for the other three to do...

I tell you what mate I'm warming to the idea of Viney playing forward
His goal sense ain't great but if we are gonna carry blokes who can't tackle then we might need to put someone there who can pick up the slack

I tell you what mate I'm warming to the idea of Viney playing forward
His goal sense ain't great but if we are gonna carry blokes who can't tackle then we might need to put someone there who can pick up the slack

Was thinking that with Viney. Will give him plenty of set-shot practice too, which he clearly needs. He spent some time forward in the pre-season so it must have been something the club has pondered a wee bit.

Was thinking that with Viney. Will give him plenty of set-shot practice too, which he clearly needs. He spent some time forward in the pre-season so it must have been something the club has pondered a wee bit.

Wouldn't it be the most useless position a captain has played since Nick Maxwell just pointed at where other blokes should defend

Wouldn't it be the most useless position a captain has played since Nick Maxwell just pointed at where other blokes should defend

Maintaining and stroking that soul patch was a full-time job in itself. He did well to spare time to point at people.

HF: Kent Hogan Vince
FF: Garlett Watts Petracca

Agree with schmuttt's line up. Our game plan requires forward pressure and 4 of those guys should be able to provide it. Rotate Harmes, Salem and Viney through for variety and more tackling pressure. Would be great if we could find another dangerous small forward to sit in place of Vince/Petracca. Kent and Garlett are super important for us at the moment in that role.

Weid needs to spend the majority of this year in the VFL. He'll come along but currently he's an absolute witch's hat and hurt us more than helps.

Contrary to many opinions here, I think we need more talls. A lot of the time when going forward,w e don't have any structure and end up lumping it to Jeffy. Need someone to play as a permanent FF and stay inside the forward 50 as much as possible IMO. That is Weidemann in the future but now it is Cam Pederson.

HF: Petracca Hogan Watts
FF: Garlett Pederson Kent

Contrary to many opinions here, I think we need more talls. A lot of the time when going forward,w e don't have any structure and end up lumping it to Jeffy. Need someone to play as a permanent FF and stay inside the forward 50 as much as possible IMO. That is Weidemann in the future but now it is Cam Pederson.

That's poor structure.
Dogs will use Bont/Stringer/picken 1 out

Instead of using Petracca/Brayshaw or our better 1 on 1 players. Garletts been pretty dangerous considering though

This will do for me too. Would be happy to see Trengove got some forward pocket minutes if he breaks into the side. Can take a mark, can kick straight.

HF: Kent Watts Patracca
FF: Garlett Hogan Pederson
Bench: Harmes

I want both Hogan and Pederson playing deep forward leading to different areas and spreading the opposition defence apart.
Garlett does his usually deep forward pressure and running.
Watts and Trac roams up the ground like mids.
Kent to apply crazy pressure with heaps of tackles.
Harmes just provides a little bit of everything without excelling in much other than being a worse version of Jeremy Howe.
Salem and Viney also spend time up forward

Harmes just provides a little bit of everything without excelling in much other than being a worse version of Jeremy Howe.
I like Harmes so much more than Howe. Howe can take a screamer, but his application to every other facet of the game is non-existent.

I still reckon with Gawn fit we play both him and Spencer. Gawn dropping into the forward line would be a nightmare for teams to match up on when the best defenders are already on Hogan and Watts. Spencer is proving to be a little handy up forward himself, he'd also provide forward pressure with his big tackling style, something our key forwards don't do a lot of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back