upload_2015-2-10_22-19-23.jpeg

DOB: 15/1/63

Height: 178 cms
Weight: 70 kgs

Games: 136
Goals: 120

Debut: Round 1 1982 V St Kilda

Recruited From: Scotch College

Hard-running accumulator who admirably filled the roving breach between the hey-days of Leigh Matthews and John Platten. Loveridge was the unoffical rookie of the year in 1982.

Loveridge was tiny, but used his speed and goal kicking ability to be an effective and damaging player.

Most of his good football came in the mid-1980s as he relished the role of first rover. He finished tenth in the Brownlow in 1986, the year of his second premiership. Loveridge was also a key part of the 1983 premiership.

Senior chances started to diminish as injuries, career commitments and the mercurial Platten narrowed Loveridge's role. Loveridge at the end of 1989 after not figuring in the club's finals calculations to concentrate on his burgeoning legal career.

Where is he now? Still working as a Lawyer in Melbourne.

And don't forget that goal that he kicked in the dying minutes of the 1983 Qualifying final against Fitzroy. When you win by 4 points every goal counts !

And don't forget that goal that he kicked in the dying minutes of the 1983 Qualifying final against Fitzroy. When you win by 4 points every goal counts !
That is to me, by far, his greatest moment. Great kick. Great goal. IMHO his reputation suffers because of a little bloke from Central Districts who came into the side in 1986 & could play a bit. ;)

Very handy player and underrated contributor to our 80s dynasty. He's also an accomplished surfer and has written an excellent book on the subject

107972_55c5d04effbeab527cd353047c2457cf.jpeg

You sure that's Richard ? Where are the long sleeves ?

2428631.jpg

Loved a goal did Richard.

Platten's ability to rove all day without a rest really put paid to Loveridge's time at Hawthorn. He was only 24/25 when he got squeezed out of the side. Could have played anywhere else but obviously chose the legal-profession career path. Isn't there talk of a potential father-son?

That is to me, by far, his greatest moment. Great kick. Great goal. IMHO his reputation suffers because of a little bloke from Central Districts who came into the side in 1986 & could play a bit. ;)

Yes, Johnny Platten pretty much pushed Loveridge out of the side.

But it's no embarrassment to be replaced by one of the greatest midfielders of all time.

Don't forget his twin boys coming through as well - both genuinely talented youngsters though still a few years away from draft age. Hopefully the changes in Father-Son choices don't change too much.

My old man was in college with him at Melbourne Uni around 1980-81, and they played some college footy together on the same side. He said he was a thoroughly decent guy and that one memory of him that he'll always remember is his fanatical fitness regime at the time; relentlessly pounding up and down the sand dunes near his bayside home of the time (I think near Frankston) for seemingly hours on end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loveridge was my Dads favorite player in the early to mid eighties. Good little quintessential rover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back