Brownlow Patrick Cripps - 2022 Brownlow Medallist

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it though?

Brisbane made the finals in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022, have never made a Grand Final and this may never happen.

Dees won the flag in 2021 after missing consecutive finals series in 2019 and 2020.

It's very overrated IMO.
True but they are putting themselves in a position to win it every year. Not meaning to jump on the bandwagon of sticking the boots into Carlton here but there is some serious talent on that list wasting their prime years for a chance to get on a run like Bulldogs 2016. To say that not making finals is as acceptable as making finals sounds salty and would be refuted by every AFL player and coach past and present.

Footy fans: penalise the action/intent, no the outcome.
Also footy fans: Cripps should be suspended for making a play at the ball and accidentally concussing a player.

Do we want a contact sport where accidents can happen, or do we want touch footy, where everyone gets a participation award?
Cripps is a hard but fair player, who always makes getting the ball his intention. Had never been suspended or reported in his entire career at any level prior to that. He backs himself to win every contest. Anyone who thinks it was deliberate or that he's a sniper, is either a troll or just plain stupid.

Congrats to all those opposition supporters who made classy congratulatory posts.
These melts are glorious.

Carlton 89 votes from 12 wins
Melbourne 94 votes from 16 wins
Cripps 29 votes from effectively 20 games (came out in the 1st Q against GC)
Oliver 25 votes from 21 games
Petracca 24 votes from 22 games
Carlton's top 5 players = 70 votes
Melbourne's top 5= 75 votes

All players have the same chance of polling 1, 2 or 3 votes. They're up against the same number of teammates and opponents. The more you win, the higher your chance of polling.

Cripps polled 26 votes in a 7 win season. Is it really a surprise that he gets 29 votes with an extra 5 wins?
Why did you pick top 5? And not top 2? or top 3? Like how did you come up with that number?

True but they are putting themselves in a position to win it every year. Not meaning to jump on the bandwagon of sticking the boots into Carlton here but there is some serious talent on that list wasting their prime years for a chance to get on a run like Bulldogs 2016. To say that not making finals is as acceptable as making finals sounds salty and would be refuted by every AFL player and coach past and present.
You put yourself in a position every year by competing in the comp.

The reality is the majority of teams don't get close, and it's only a matter what order teams are going to be shown up.

Bulldogs 2016 was a complete anomaly. No other side since the Crows in the 90's have won a flag from outside of the 8, and the Bluebaggers weren't about to reverse 30 years of history.

Last edited:
So unstoppable that he came 6th in the coaches votes.
Coaches aren't that smart mate.

You've guys like Goodwin who would sit in the lower IQ percentile and would have been in remedial reading groups throughout their school days trying to assess 44 players over 4 quarters. There is always going to be mixed results.

Who better to judge than the guys who've got front row seats to the Patty Cripps show?

Last edited:
So unstoppable that he came 6th in the coaches votes.
I once met Rocket Eade and genuinely couldn't understand a word coming from his mouth. I don't think these blokes know much. The umpires on the other hand, they've studied the games rules for much of their lives, they are dedicated individuals who have shown to have expertise in the game. They don't come from nepotism and actually had to show competence for their roles. The know what they're talking about. Head coaches are simply there for supporters to throw blame on, no other reason.

You've guys like Goodwin who would sit in the lower IQ percentile and would have been in remedial reading groups throughout their school days trying to assess 44 players over 4 quarters. There is always going to be mixed results.

Who better to judge than the guys who've got front row seats to the Patty Cripps show?
Not 100% sure but i can’t remember an Anzac Day game when the medalist didn’t get 3 Brownlow votes, not sure of the point I’m trying to make but if I’m right it’s an amazing coincidence considering the umps are supposed to make up their own minds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't votes given by a member of the panel each week?

The panel consists of:

Tony Jones, Kane Cornes, Damien Barrett, Nathan Brown & Matthew Lloyd. Yeah some real big brains there.

Wait, I see Oliver won that award in 2022 & 2021 - just a coincidence you rate it so highly.
I think a fair amount of them have been on all Australian panels.

Yeah the umps are pretty smart. Jake Melksham is better than Maynard. lolz. Nice one umpires.

Read my post. 5 of those 'plebs' are All-Australian.

You've completely missed the point. The best forwards and defenders in the league should be polling votes in the 20's. If you can't draw the obvious conclusion that the Brownlow is laughably flawed then you've just been brainwashed by mainstream media to think that the Brownlow has any credit.

The AFL Coaches Award is the Olympic Games of awards and the Brownlow is your Stawell Gift.

Where was May in the coaches votes? i assume the top 20?

Top 5 in the bornwlow was basically the same as coaches votes (or just about any award, like every year)

Most of our players aren't even into their prime years yet, plenty of time.

Not 100% sure but i can’t remember an Anzac Day game when the medalist didn’t get 3 Brownlow votes, not sure of the point I’m trying to make but if I’m right it’s an amazing coincidence considering the umps are supposed to make up their own minds.
So the umpires should change their vote if their opinion supports the opinion of the committee who award the ANZAC medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back