Pick 1, Give us your best offer

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering add 8 years, Carlton will not be in contention then. They should be on the way up but not near threatening IMO.

Patton is too old for you guys and too risky IMO.

I think Carlton's list (and club) are in as bad a shape as anyone does, but these sort of comments are ridiculous. You're saying a kid not even drafted yet, add 8 years onto his career and Carlton still won't be in contention?

Any club planning for the future using that type of blueprint should be disbanded immediately. My club finished 2nd bottom in '04 (less than 1% percentage off bottom), 3rd bottom in '05, and won a flag 3 years later. Recent history has plenty of examples of clubs turning around their fortunes in a relatively short period of time. And whilst I'd be lying if I said I was expecting Carlton to do that anytime soon, 8-10 years is a crazy timeframe.

Yeah but no point building for pick 1 when there are a few more pick 1's down the track for Carlton. remember the bulk of Carlton's players have to retire shortly and most of their players will not see a premiership with Carlton. Cripps might play a premiership with Carlton but I doubt even Docherty will win a premiership at Carlton

Docherty is 21yo FFS!

If Carlton are 10+ years away, I'd be interested to know where you saw your own club, Richmond, in terms of the infamous permiership window?

I think Carlton's list (and club) are in as bad a shape as anyone does, but these sort of comments are ridiculous. You're saying a kid not even drafted yet, add 8 years onto his career and Carlton still won't be in contention?

Any club planning for the future using that type of blueprint should be disbanded immediately. My club finished 2nd bottom in '04 (less than 1% percentage off bottom), 3rd bottom in '05, and won a flag 3 years later. Recent history has plenty of examples of clubs turning around their fortunes in a relatively short period of time. And whilst I'd be lying if I said I was expecting Carlton to do that anytime soon, 8-10 years is a crazy timeframe.

Docherty is 21yo FFS!

If Carlton are 10+ years away, I'd be interested to know where you saw your own club, Richmond, in terms of the infamous permiership window?

Easy. at least 12 years away from getting Lids-2004

Hawks were 12 years away from getting Hodge-2001. 2008 was a fluke care of Geelong of course.

1/18 teams remember, so that is narrowing it down.

The truth is we could trade for Weitering in 2016, in 2024 Carlton take him back via FA which suits both teams windows as we will probably look at starting a rebuild by 2024 ourselves

2004 was irrelevant for the Hawks. You guys were rebuilding at least from 2001 with Hodge.

Remember Carlton have not bottomed out. They still need to lose Judd, Simpson, Walker etc.. get the replacements in of suitable youth and quality develop them keep them etc..

At the moment they have Cripps as a base IMO. Most likely Dockerty will take his chances elsewhere before the end of his career IMO ala Goddard with Essendon or the Geelong captain with North etc... Docherty along with Murphy and Gibbs will be great and critical to develop Carlton's youngsters no doubt though before they get let go and chance their premiership dreams elsewhere quite smartly by Carlton for draft picks and future upside towards their premiership ambitions

Last edited:
Easy. at least 12 years away from getting Lids-2004

Hawks were 12 years away from getting Hodge-2001. 2008 was a fluke care of Geelong of course.

1/18 teams remember, so that is narrowing it down.

The truth is we could trade for Weitering in 2016, in 2024 Carlton take him back via FA which suits both teams windows as we will probably look at starting a rebuild by 2024 ourselves

2004 was irrelevant for the Hawks. You guys were rebuilding at least from 2001 with Hodge.

Remember Carlton have not bottomed out. They still need to lose Judd, Simpson, Walker etc.. get the replacements in of suitable youth and quality develop them keep them etc..

At the moment they have Cripps as a base IMO. Most likely Dockerty will take his chances elsewhere before the end of his career IMO ala Goddard with Essendon or the Geelong captain with North etc... Docherty along with Murphy and Gibbs will be great and critical to develop Carlton's youngsters no doubt though before they get let go and chance their premiership dreams elsewhere quite smartly by Carlton for draft picks and future upside towards their premiership ambitions

That's convenient, dismiss '08 as a "fluke" as it doesn't suit your argument. Just remember, Hawthorn was signficantly better than Geelong right throughout September that year, not just GF day. And even if it was just GF day, there's no such thing as a fluking a premiership.

Easy to say in hindsight that we were rebuilding from '01 because Hodge went on to become such an important player for us. Who's to say the Teabaggers won't look back in 3, 4, 5 years and say they were rebuilding from '14 when they got Cripps, Boekhurst(sp?) etc.? This arbitrary 12 year figure you're quoting seems to have been pulled from god knows where.

I agree with you that they are looking atrocious, but things can turn around pretty quickly. To say a 21yo is too old and will miss their window (for any club) is beyond ridiculous.

That's convenient, dismiss '08 as a "fluke" as it doesn't suit your argument. Just remember, Hawthorn was signficantly better than Geelong right throughout September that year, not just GF day. And even if it was just GF day, there's no such thing as a fluking a premiership.

Easy to say in hindsight that we were rebuilding from '01 because Hodge went on to become such an important player for us. Who's to say the Teabaggers won't look back in 3, 4, 5 years and say they were rebuilding from '14 when they got Cripps, Boekhurst(sp?) etc.? This arbitrary 12 year figure you're quoting seems to have been pulled from god knows where.

I agree with you that they are looking atrocious, but things can turn around pretty quickly. To say a 21yo is too old and will miss their window (for any club) is beyond ridiculous.

Sorry check the scoring shots, bad misses by Chapman, Ottens.

Geelong just took it to easy really.

Entitled to win that day, deserved the victory, but or the season Geelong vastly the better team easily

No guarantee that Carlton will get pick #1. If they accidentally win a game, then it gives St Kilda and Brisbane a chance to steal the pick.

No guarantee that Carlton will get pick #1. If they accidentally win a game, then it gives St Kilda and Brisbane a chance to steal the pick.
"Steal the pick" - from WINNING?

Jesus, this is why we need a lottery for the bottom end for the 1st pick.

Not finishing last worked out for us last year, thanks to the Saints passing on Petracca. Would much rather finish 17th or 16th and get a player probably of the same skill level without the pressure, than have to cop the spoon.

Not finishing last worked out for us last year, thanks to the Saints passing on Petracca. Would much rather finish 17th or 16th and get a player probably of the same skill level without the pressure, than have to cop the spoon.

Absolutely. Ludicrous to think otherwise. Countless number 1 picks have disappointed. Watts, Scully, Kreuzer, Patton, Swallow, Boyd, McCartin. There's not one A Grader amongst those and although Boyd and McCartin have plenty of time I'm going out on a limb and I will say neither will get to the same stratosphere of Riewoldt.

Going by recent drafts the number 1 pick is massively overrated. Would much rather a pick between 2-8 depending on the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. Ludicrous to think otherwise. Countless number 1 picks have disappointed. Watts, Scully, Kreuzer, Patton, Swallow, Boyd, McCartin. There's not one A Grader amongst those and although Boyd and McCartin have plenty of time I'm going out on a limb and I will say neither will get to the same stratosphere of Riewoldt.

Going by recent drafts the number 1 pick is massively overrated. Would much rather a pick between 2-8 depending on the draft.

Scully is fast becoming A-Grade. He's still 24? He's been amazing this year for us.

Swallow not an A Grader? He definitely is. And Scully is quickly becoming one. And Boyd and McCartin, well it's far too early to judge them. I also see you've conveniently left out Lachie Whitfield, who is absolute silk and will become an elite midfielder. And take away the injuries and Patton looked like becoming a freak as well.

Marc Murphy is also a very, very good player, would be unlucky not to be labelled an A Grader. As for Gibbs, before this season I'd say that 9/10 people would have called him an "A Grade player".

I think Carlton will trade pick one to GWS for a couple of top ten picks they get out of Shiel and Coniglio

They are not getting a top 10 pick for Coniglio unless the Eagles drop a fair bit on the ladder.

Swallow not an A Grader? He definitely is. And Scully is quickly becoming one. And Boyd and McCartin, well it's far too early to judge them. I also see you've conveniently left out Lachie Whitfield, who is absolute silk and will become an elite midfielder. And take away the injuries and Patton looked like becoming a freak as well.

Marc Murphy is also a very, very good player, would be unlucky not to be labelled an A Grader. As for Gibbs, before this season I'd say that 9/10 people would have called him an "A Grade player".
Number 2 picks: Cotchin, Naitanui, Trengove, H Bennell, Coniglio, O'Rourke, Kelly, Petracca
Number 3 picks: Masten, S Hill, D Martin, Day, Tyson, Plowman, Billings, Brayshaw

Based on those lists I reckon I'd prefer a number 2 or number 3 pick over a number 1.

I have a great deal,,,Butcher for pick 1. Yep sounds fair to me, Butch will fit in well with the rest of Carlton's spuds.

Number 2 picks: Cotchin, Naitanui, Trengove, H Bennell, Coniglio, O'Rourke, Kelly, Petracca
Number 3 picks: Masten, S Hill, D Martin, Day, Tyson, Plowman, Billings, Brayshaw

Based on those lists I reckon I'd prefer a number 2 or number 3 pick over a number 1.
McCartin vs Petracca vs Brayshaw - too early to judge.
Boyd vs Kelly vs Billings - too early to judge. But there's a reason Boyd was worth 7 years, and was viewed as such a clear #1. Give me Boyd if I had a choice.
Whitfield vs O'Roudke vs Plowman - Whitfield by so, so far it isn't funny.
Patton vs Coniglio vs Tyson - if he's injury free, Patton. Sucks that he isn't.
Swallow vs Bennell vs Day - Swallow. Comfortably

After and before those 2 Watts/Kreuzer years, the #1 pick has been much better than every other. Shame Kreuzer's injuries have had an impact on his career. But Watts has played 100 games, most players are lucky to reach that milestone.

You do realise the reason for wanting a higher pick I s for the opportunity to draft the player you want.

I always think in terms of who ends up the best player from a draft year and how much better they are then the second third forth ect. So if I was trading pick one for say picks 9 and 10 I would look back at the history of the best player from every draft and compare them to the 9th and 10th and see what I would prefer because that's what your really getting the opportunity to do.
To say you would prefer pick 2 over 1 is just ridiculous.

The amount of stupid in this comment

Offer Dangerfield a ludicrous amount of money, the captaincy and hook him up with media stuff in order to convince him to nominate you (yes I realise this is a 0.1% chance of happening).

Crows then match the offer as per RFA rules.

Dangerfield requests trade.

You give us pick 1 for him.

Everyone's happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back